ADVERTISEMENT

Music.......sweet, sweet Music

Speaking of John Cale. I remember seeing him at the Cain's after this album was released. Very small crowd, unfortunately. I guess Tulsa wasn't ready. Good show just the same.

I’m surprised that no one has mentioned Dwight Twilley yet. We saw him at a joint on 11th a number of years back. Couldn’t have been 30 there. Still a great show.

Reactions: TU 1978
Speaking of John Cale. I remember seeing him at the Cain's after this album was released. Very small crowd, unfortunately. I guess Tulsa wasn't ready. Good show just the same.

Good album.

Was that the tour with the notorious chicken incident?

Didn't realize he ever played Tulsa.

Last edited:
One very obscure but unverifiable note: my late father in law claimed to be the guy that loaned a fake ID to Claude Bridges so that he could perform under-age at the local clubs. His stage name Leon Russell was a combination of their middle names.

That is a g

Good album. Honit Soit?

Was that the tour with the notorious chicken incident?

Didn't realize he ever played Tulsa.
No chicken incident. He was with the band from the "Sabotage Live" album.

It was a strange booking. It was on a Monday or Tuesday night and they're wasn't much promotion for it. Cale and his band put on a good show nonetheless.

Reactions: drboobay
Saw Dwight live back in the day. If you’re in Tulsa tomorrow, this is happening.
Not that familiar with Dwight Twilley's music. But I'm dang sure I'll soon be taking a guided tour of that Church Studio. I hear it's fantastic and a bonafide piece of Rock & Roll history, still going strong.

Not that familiar with Dwight Twilley's music. But I'm dang sure I'll soon be taking a guided tour of that Church Studio. I hear it's fantastic and a bonafide piece of Rock & Roll history, still going strong.
I know his two hits!

No chicken incident. He was with the band from the "Sabotage Live" album.

It was a strange booking. It was on a Monday or Tuesday night and they're wasn't much promotion for it. Cale and his band put on a good show nonetheless.
His new album is slow and textured - nothing like Sabotage Live but very good. But if you like the guitar heavy stuff his 2005 album is really terrific. There is even a truly catchy single called Perfect.

My first John Cale show was in the mid 80s in OKC at a former church venue called the Bowery. Just him, piano and guitar. And a crazy Okie yelling at him to "play the violin."

Then twice when I lived in Chicago. Once with a chamber orchestra and the other with a full rock band. Finally, a few years ago flew to Chicago to see his band put on a special show associated with a Warhol exhibit. That one was extreme noise and drone. Not for the feint of heart!

One of the hardest rockin albums I ever heard was Lou Reed's "Rock & Roll Animal". Unfortunately, the lyrics to most of these tunes, eg.Heroin, White Light-White Heat, Sweet Jane were for those hooked on the hard stuff. But if you disregarded the lyrics, Reed's two guitarists-Dick Wagner & Steve Hunter, playing mostly in tandem a la Thin Lizzy(only much better), just drove the music into R&R history. Reed's vocal quality, didn't.

Speaking of Thin Lizzy, I miss Phil Lynott and particularly Gary Moore, his brilliant guitarist later on-both of whom passed much too early.
I don't hate on Lou Reed. His album New York has a lot of grit and is quite evocative. And Songs for Drella, which he and John Cale did to honor Andy Warhol, is really good too. It is more that I am drawn to the the variety and restlessness of Cale's work. I will leave the topic but add one last bit of trivia. The arrangement of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah that everyone knows? That is John Cale's arrangement that Jeff Buckley covered. Buckley had never heard the Cohen version.

This live version of I’m On Fire features Bill Pitcock IV on guitar, Phil Seymour on drums, guest vocalist Susan Cowsill and an unorthodox bass player. Bill Pitcock IV is not related to the Bill Pitcock of KOTV fame.

Sadly, Pitcock and Seymour are no longer living. Twilley said: "In the early days of the Dwight Twilley Band, sometimes a manager would come backstage to tell us a major act was in the audience. We'd say 'To see us?' And he'd say, 'Well, no - they're here to see Bill Pitcock.'”

Last edited:
One of our family favorites spent a lot of time at the Church Studio back in the day.

When my oldest daughter was in kindergarten, on the last day of school the teacher asked each kid what they were doing over the summer.

Mine says “I’m going to kick back and listen to Tom Petty”.

I've seen Bob Dylan, Tom Petty, Roy Orbison, George Harrison names mentioned in this thread, but not The Traveling Wilburys. Add Jeff Lynne & you've got a beyond super group. I loved it that these giants of R&R deferred to Roy Orbison and treated him with all the respect in the world. I hated it that Orbison died within a week after(can't recall but it was either after they broke up or after their album was released)

But is there any doubt that after every hardship with losing loved ones and a drinking problem, Roy Orbison died a happy man. Making music with the greatest and receiving their love & respect. We should all be so lucky to check out that way.

I don't hate on Lou Reed. His album New York has a lot of grit and is quite evocative. And Songs for Drella, which he and John Cale did to honor Andy Warhol, is really good too. It is more that I am drawn to the the variety and restlessness of Cale's work. I will leave the topic but add one last bit of trivia. The arrangement of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah that everyone knows? That is John Cale's arrangement that Jeff Buckley covered. Buckley had never heard the Cohen version.

I did not realize it was his arrangement. I knew he did his own version but I never listened to it. I'm disappointed to know this. There was a major step in between Leonard Cohen & Jeff Buckley.(Cale's arrangement) I was amazed at Buckley's version, now I know it wasn't all him. Still a beautiful and perfect cover though. One of my very favorite pieces of music.

I love Willie's(Nelson) version of 'Whiter Shade of Pale'. Also Ella Fitzgerald's version of 'Sunshine of Your Love'.(Horn section rocked.)

I did not realize it was his arrangement. I knew he did his own version but I never listened to it. I'm disappointed to know this. There was a major step in between Leonard Cohen & Jeff Buckley.(Cale's arrangement) I was amazed at Buckley's version, now I know it wasn't all him. Still a beautiful and perfect cover though. One of my very favorite pieces of music.

I love Willie's(Nelson) version of 'Whiter Shade of Pale'. Also Ella Fitzgerald's version of 'Sunshine of Your Love'.(Horn section rocked.)
Sorry to disappoint!

Reactions: Gmoney4WW

Sometimes the truth can be painful.

It was a pristine gem whose shine has now been ever so slightly lessened/dissipated in some way. It's one of those things you say, I wish I didn't know that.
Funny thing it was only 5 years or so ago I found out Jeff Buckley had a version!

Funny thing it was only 5 years or so ago I found out Jeff Buckley had a version!
Paid the ultimate compliment by Cohen, he said that song is Jeff Buckley's song now. Admitting that Buckley did something with it that surpassed his own version. Elvis Costello made comments in the same complimentary fashion to Chet Baker for Almost Blue. Costello & Chet Baker were already established as great artists at the time though.(Absolutely love the two of them.)

Paid the ultimate compliment by Cohen, he said that song is Jeff Buckley's song now. Admitting that Buckley did something with it that surpassed his own version. Elvis Costello made comments in the same complimentary fashion to Chet Baker for Almost Blue. Costello & Chet Baker were already established as great artists at the time though.(Absolutely love the two of them.)
My first exposure was in the early 90s when I bought the live album Fragments of a Rainy Season by Mr. Cale. Guess I never realized Jeff Buckley recorded it until Leonard Cohen died and folks mentioned Buckley kind of popularized it. And I agree it is a lovely recording.

Reactions: TU 1978
Brian Auger, the father of acid jazz.
Maybe so, maybe jazz rock, who knows. I liked a group called Traffic with Steve Winwood early on. I liked those extended grooves they got into and I loved Dave Mason. I didn't know a thing about Brian Auger & The Trinity, but I heard a Brian Auger and the Oblivion Express album and said hmmm, these guys take the grooves to another level. Definitely jazz inflected r&r or rock and roll inflected jazz. How do you choose which had the best band, Auger's Trinity or Oblivion Express or Winwood's Traffic? Might be impossible.

I'm surprised that this thread hasn't mentioned Frank Zappa yet. One of the composers who showed me a completely different way to listen to music.

Frank Zappa & the Mothers of Invention. This dude & his um, er orchestras played just enough real jazz & just enough rock & roll to keep me always interested. The rest of it was either hilarious or just plain weird. But a musical genius, and a very good guitar player.

Maybe 'Cane-man and others liked Captain Beefheart, almost as whacked out as Zappa.

Last edited:
Frank Zappa & the Mothers of Invention. This dude & his um, er orchestras played just enough real jazz & just enough rock & roll to keep me always interested. The rest of it was either hilarious or just plain weird. But a musical genius, and a very good guitar player.

Maybe 'Cane-man and others liked Captain Beefheart, almost as whacked out as Zappa.
Oh yeah. I actually had a vinyl copy of Trout Mask Replica until a "friend" borrowed it and never returned it. He actually skipped town leaving behind several pissed off friends he owed money to.

Question: how many people recall someone playing a bass clarinet in a r&r band? Answer: No one before or since Cap'n Beefheart.

Zappa is inventive, creative, genius, etc. I still don't listen to him. He just doesn't do it for me.

Captain Beefheart I listen to occasionally when in the right mood late at night.

I don't listen to much Rush either, but that's cuz I don't like Geddy Lee's voice. If they changed singers I'd be all over it. Love listening to Geddy Lee's bass.

Reactions: quincy101
I kind of thought the mention of the Traveling Wilburys would cause more comment. "Super groups" were kind of a dime a dozen. But Bob Dylan, George Harrison, Tom Petty, Roy Orbison and Jeff Lynne defined the term. Lynne created the Electric Light Orchestra, produced dozens of other hit albums, played guitar and a great vocalist.

The Wilburys' story is so cool and so is the music on that 1st album. George Harrison, during his solo career, got the ball rolling along with Jeff Lynne. They all had met each other over the years (the then unknown Beatles had opened for Roy Orbison(one of their heros) in 1963.

These guys got together at Dylan's house & used his small recording studio. In 9 days, they pounded out enough tunes for the 1st album. For several tunes, someone would bring an idea in the morning, the guys would offer a change here or there to the lyrics or the music, they would rehearse in the afternoon, a few more changes and record the tune late at night, one or two takes.

Just unbelievable, but what would you expect from some of the greatest songwriters in modern music history. Each & every one of these giants claimed that the time they spent together was a highlight of their careers. You can google the Wilbury's official site and listen to what they came up with. My favorites are "End of the Line", Last Night, Handle With Care and Not Alone Any More, which reminds why some people say that Roy Orbison had the best voice in R&R. Kind of Beatles inspired, soft rock tunes, but oh so tasty.

I kind of thought the mention of the Traveling Wilburys would cause more comment. "Super groups" were kind of a dime a dozen. But Bob Dylan, George Harrison, Tom Petty, Roy Orbison and Jeff Lynne defined the term. Lynne created the Electric Light Orchestra, produced dozens of other hit albums, played guitar and a great vocalist.

The Wilburys' story is so cool and so is the music on that 1st album. George Harrison, during his solo career, got the ball rolling along with Jeff Lynne. They all had met each other over the years (the then unknown Beatles had opened for Roy Orbison(one of their heros) in 1963.

These guys got together at Dylan's house & used his small recording studio. In 9 days, they pounded out enough tunes for the 1st album. For several tunes, someone would bring an idea in the morning, the guys would offer a change here or there to the lyrics or the music, they would rehearse in the afternoon, a few more changes and record the tune late at night, one or two takes.

Just unbelievable, but what would you expect from some of the greatest songwriters in modern music history. Each & every one of these giants claimed that the time they spent together was a highlight of their careers. You can google the Wilbury's official site and listen to what they came up with. My favorites are "End of the Line", Last Night, Handle With Care and Not Alone Any More, which reminds why some people say that Roy Orbison had the best voice in R&R. Kind of Beatles inspired, soft rock tunes, but oh so tasty.
Handle with Care - loved that

That music pairs well with Cloud Nine by GH.

I liked the more popular songs by the group but this one was my favorite.

Also, Roy Orbison’s Black and White Night is an excellent concert video.

The End of the Line video with the empty rocker was a fitting tribute to Roy.

Zappa is inventive, creative, genius, etc. I still don't listen to him. He just doesn't do it for me.

Captain Beefheart I listen to occasionally when in the right mood late at night.

I don't listen to much Rush either, but that's cuz I don't like Geddy Lee's voice. If they changed singers I'd be all over it. Love listening to Geddy Lee's bass.
I kind of agree that Geddy Lee's voice can get a bit tiresome but to me the music is worth the price.

Do you generally dislike high voices? Nasally ones? How do you feel about Jon Anderson? Ian Anderson?

I kind of agree that Geddy Lee's voice can get a bit tiresome but to me the music is worth the price.

Do you generally dislike high voices? Nasally ones? How do you feel about Jon Anderson? Ian Anderson?
Nailed it. Yes and yes on the hgh and nasally. I have the same problem with Yes. For some reason Jethro Tull is not as offensive to me. Maybe because his voice feels a tiny bit lower register in comparison to others mentioned. I don't even like female singers in a higher register. Nor as offensive with females though. For instance I absolutely love Kate Bush. But she is one of a few exceptions in my list of female singers.

Last edited:

Contrarily I love Motown, where male singers use the falsetto on a regular basis. That is somehow different for me.

Nailed it. Yes and yes on the hgh and nasally. I have the same problem with Yes. For some reason Jethro Tull is not as offensive to me. Maybe because his voice feels a riny bit lower register in comparison to others mentioned. I don't even like female singers in a higher register. Nor as offensive with females though. For instance I absolutely love Kate Bush. But she is one of a few exceptions in my list of female singers.
My wife hates the nasally delivery of Ian Anderson. That and the Olde English motif and minstrelly flutesomeness.

I on the other hand enjoy it all and come back to it periodically.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT