ADVERTISEMENT

Monty... please quit

The days of letting coaches finish out a contract are over. You have to let them go with a year left or extend the contract. Getting recruits and even fans to commit to a coach on the last year of a contract has to be tough.
I'm not the type to rush to judgement on these things. We've seen a pattern and it is one that we've seen won't result in improved results. We've seen it play out over the last 3 years on the field and on the recruiting trail. This team is 2-4. After the MSU game I was pretty sure we had the talent to compete for an AAC title this year and I made it known on this board. The OSU game, the Wyoming game, and the SMU game confirmed that the head coach is the one holding this team back from achieving at a higher level.

Read a hot seat article today in Yahoo Sports that said our total staff buyout was around $4,000,000. Any truth to that? Does that keep Monty around for a while?

Read a hot seat article today in Yahoo Sports that said our total staff buyout was around $4,000,000. Any truth to that? Does that keep Monty around for a while?
Well that’s a kick in the sack. Maybe we should start passing the plate at the remaining games and through hoops season.

I would be completely shocked if that’s accurate, it seems FAR too high but I can’t say for certain either way.

I would be completely shocked if that’s accurate, it seems FAR too high but I can’t say for certain either way.
I can't believe that. No way we pay that much for this crap. Do we actually know how much monty gets paid and the DC/position coaches?

This year Montgomery is at roughly $1.7m and I don’t think there is an assistant above $250-300k.

I think we only give one year contracts to assistants

Since TG’s time coordinators have typically gotten 2 or 3 year deals as well as the OL coach. So we generally had at least 3 coaches on multi year deals as well as the HC.

Revealing quote in the TW about hiring an OC.

Basically Monty said the folks he would trust to hire would not come since he us on the hot seat. And he would rather call plays and run the offense than turn it over to someone he does not trust.

Getting real.

Revealing quote in the TW about hiring an OC.

Basically Monty said the folks he would trust to hire would not come since he us on the hot seat. And he would rather call plays and run the offense than turn it over to someone he does not trust.

Getting real.

He hasn't had an OC since Gilbert left after his first season. He wasn't on the hot seat then.

He hasn't had an OC since Gilbert left after his first season. He wasn't on the hot seat then.
Gilbert didn't call plays either.

I think we were all OK w/ Monty calling plays until he got an OC who was on the same page with how the rhythm and nuances of play calling in this offense worked. He just can't do both...the time demands as a program manager are too great for him to be able to focus only on the offense and when things go wrong.

I just don't believe Monty has was it takes mentally to be an HC at the upper-division level. I'm not talking IQ, I'm talking management ability. But I'm beating a dead horse here. What upsets me is that a more disciplined team would have a winning record right now. Last Saturday we saw what a disciplined team can do to an undisciplined team, Navy fundamentaled Tulsa into a blowout.

Reactions: DoorMan
I think the circumstances will dictate that we are stuck with him through 2020 at least. That means we'll be stuck with more lame excuses and disappointing results.

Fire him for cause (incompetence) and don’t give him a dime.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT