ADVERTISEMENT

Monty... please quit

If we seriously keep this clown into next season, I'm turning in my fan pass.

I’ll never turn in my fan pass but I’ll make d*mn sure the department knows the fans are very unhappy. Unless he wins out after tonight, not happening, he should be gone. But given the university’s financial situation he may be here through his current contract.

Reactions: HuffyCane
I’ll never turn in my fan pass but I’ll make d*mn sure the department knows the fans are very unhappy. Unless he wins out after tonight, not happening, he should be gone. But given the university’s financial situation he may be here through his current contract.
If memory serves, and I could be wrong, there’s one more season guaranteed then just options.

After 58 years of supporting TU, I am dropping $$ support of TU athletics. After years and years of hit and miss success, it just isn’t worth the effort and expense.
It is a very sad day indeed.

After 58 years of supporting TU, I am dropping $$ support of TU athletics. After years and years of hit and miss success, it just isn’t worth the effort and expense.
It is a very sad day indeed.
This needs to be in a letter to Clancy, Kevan Buck, and Gragg. I say Kevan Buck because he has the best grasp on the financial situation at TU...more than anyone else. If they see people cutting donations because of this mess maybe they'll get the idea they can't afford to keep Monty (or Gragg for that matter).

This needs to be in a letter to Clancy, Kevan Buck, and Gragg. I say Kevan Buck because he has the best grasp on the financial situation at TU...more than anyone else. If they see people cutting donations because of this mess maybe they'll get the idea they can't afford to keep Monty (or Gragg for that matter).
You’re kidding right? It’s a revolving door over at GHC. They are having trouble returning phone calls right now. I’m sure they’ve got a great handle on major donors but I’d bet my boots theres nobody over there watching cancellations/non-renewals under $5,000 and with +5 million dollars on the way and limited number of hours in the day, there’s a limited amount of caring. Just business. Every member is valuable but you appreciate that value in different ways.

Reactions: TulsaAM and ey1294
Monty's lost me for a couple reasons. First, the lack of an OC & his lousy play calling. Especially for critical, game on the line decisions, he goes with his gut. His gut needs some probiotics. 2nd, & it's been mentioned by Guy, Huffy, LEC & others. That is, the total lack of discipline. Being the most penalized team in FBS for most of the season so far is a major embarassment to the school & should cause cringing at the highest levels at TU, especially in light of our 2-4 record. Not to mention other incidents worthy of some kind of discipline such as telling a ref to F...Off which I heard happened just as 1st half ended. Wasn't there a 15 yarder for the 2nd half kickoff?

I used to believe that reports of players loving Monty were great. Now I believe that a big reason the players really like him is because he doesn't discipline players for repeated screw-ups or other incidents. They like him but do they respect him? He'll prolly win a couple more & get retained.

Monty's lost me for a couple reasons. First, the lack of an OC & his lousy play calling. Especially for critical, game on the line decisions, he goes with his gut. His gut needs some probiotics. 2nd, & it's been mentioned by Guy, Huffy, LEC & others. That is, the total lack of discipline. Being the most penalized team in FBS for most of the season so far is a major embarassment to the school & should cause cringing at the highest levels at TU, especially in light of our 2-4 record. Not to mention other incidents worthy of some kind of discipline such as telling a ref to F...Off which I heard happened just as 1st half ended. Wasn't there a 15 yarder for the 2nd half kickoff?

I used to believe that reports of players loving Monty were great. Now I believe that a big reason the players really like him is because he doesn't discipline players for repeated screw-ups or other incidents. They like him but do they respect him? He'll prolly win a couple more & get retained.
You’ll recall that the Art Briles defense was “I didn’t know it was going on. I’m not to blame, but I did cultivate a culture of a lack of discipline.”

Since he was Gragg’s pick, I don’t think he will relieve him of his duties. Attendance pressure might force his hand however.

Reactions: ey1294
I have watched TU football for nearly 70 years. We've had some bad hires in the past
The guy from Michigan st., Claude Gibson, Burns, and now Monty.

We need another Kragthorpe to save the program.

I have watched TU football for nearly 70 years. We've had some bad hires in the past
The guy from Michigan st., Claude Gibson, Burns, and now Monty.

We need another Kragthorpe to save the program.

Disagree. We have talent. We just need a good leader.

Reactions: TU Guy
I think we have Monty for a while...at least this year.

Initially, I thought he needed 5-6 wins.

Now, I think he could go 2-10 and keep his job.

It would take a big check from a mad whale for this to change, IMO.

I think we have Monty for a while...at least this year.

Initially, I thought he needed 5-6 wins.

Now, I think he could go 2-10 and keep his job.

It would take a big check from a mad whale for this to change, IMO.

No way. From a money guy that I know, mont needed 5 to 6 games to keep his job.. From the same guy the OSU & SMU game was a cluster and really upset a few others that were on the fence, not just the game but the fact mont tried to blame the defense in after game press. Same guy... They really like norwood

No way. From a money guy that I know, mont needed 5 to 6 games to keep his job.. From the same guy the OSU & SMU game was a cluster and really upset a few others that were on the fence, not just the game but the fact mont tried to blame the defense in after game press. Same guy... They really like norwood

I talked to one Saturday. It would take a miracle run to end the season to keep his job, and we know that ain’t happening. We don’t want it and the players are done with him too.

Good post except for the Norwood part. He was the leader on our “worst in the nation defense” three years ago. Baylor was thrilled he left there too. Our defense is much better now. But the overall situation here is grim.

The recruiting argument will always be there. If the decision is made today, at the end of the season, or at the end of his contract. Even if we wait for some recruits to sign the dotted line, won't many be granted waivers if the coach leaves (either because of success or failure)? Unless the recruiting is good enough that you retain the coach to retain the recruits, it can't be a deterrent to change.

I'm still hoping for a miracle, but Monte has lost me unless that miracle comes and someone can explain this to me:

SITUATION 1:
~13 left in 4th. Down 10 to 35 (4 scores). 4th and 6 from our own 17.
DECISION:
Punt.

SITUATION 2:
~4 left in the 4th. Down 17 to 38 (3 scores). 4th and 16 from our own 19.
DECISION:
Go for it.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/playbyplay?gameId=401117882

I don't get it. If the coaches thought the game was over with 13 minutes to go, then don't go for it on either 4th and so be it. If the philosophy was always play to win, even if it is practically hopeless, then go for it on both 4th downs and so be it. But I can't figure out why one would punt in situation 1, and go for it in situation 2?

If we were down by 2 scores, sure, punt. Maybe even 3 scores if your defense was playing well. But you need 4 possessions to score 4 times. Punting with 13 minutes to go made it very unlikely that we would see 4 more possessions. Then, when it was more doubtful that we could win, we go for it with longer odds of converting. Was it supposed to be a feel good confidence builder? Was someone close to a statistical milestone? Did the players get to make the call?

Seriously, anyone have any ideas on the decision making? There must be a reason I'm missing.

No, I'm not calling for immediate termination. I'm not involved enough to really understand the process and make such a decision. Hell, I do still hope for a miracle because I want him to succeed and Tulsa to succeed. But when we aren't doing well and I don't understand the decision making, it is very frustrating.

Good post except for the Norwood part. He was the leader on our “worst in the nation defense” three years ago. Baylor was thrilled he left there too. Our defense is much better now. But the overall situation here is grim.

Disagree. The next coach could be walking into a VERY good offense. This isn’t the burns type team here.

Yeah, just because Norwood can anticipate Monty's game plan shouldn't nominate him as a coaching candidate. If he couldn't, that would shock me. It's so easy to decode.

I don't know okie51, so this is purely me guessing but I'm assuming he meant Gillespie when he said Norwood. I've heard a number of the money folks really like Gillespie.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
I think we all need to wrap our heads around Monty being at TU another year.

Quite the “pickle” at 11th and Harvard right now.

We’ll have to see if there are any “T-Boones” or “Tillman’s” for TU out there.

I don't know okie51, so this is purely me guessing but I'm assuming he meant Gillespie when he said Norwood. I've heard a number of the money folks really like Gillespie.
Nope...I think he was talking about Norwood who is Navy's DC and they played pretty well against us last week. Almost like Monty's offense and tendencies were used against him by a former assistant. Like Monty didn't anticipate needing to make some adjustments based on the fact the guy across the field KNEW exactly what to expect and when.

Not happening. He gone.
So let's ask the question about why wait until the end of the season then? Why not give Gillespie an on the job interview and perhaps earn the role for next season beginning immediately and let Trahan be the OC/QB coach and call plays?

So let's ask the question about why wait until the end of the season then? Why not give Gillespie an on the job interview and perhaps earn the role for next season beginning immediately and let Trahan be the OC/QB coach and call plays?

I'm all for it.

The days of letting coaches finish out a contract are over. You have to let them go with a year left or extend the contract. Getting recruits and even fans to commit to a coach on the last year of a contract has to be tough.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT