ADVERTISEMENT

MONTGOMERY

Red Dirt, it was mentioned before in this thread that Evans was actually high on Gundy's list at OkState IF Wes Lunt didn't commit to the Aggies. He saw something there. I see a lot of Clint Chelf in Dane.

In Dane's defense, our WRs did not do a great job of leveraging CBs/DBs on the inside square-ins/curls meaning they let the DB cut the route off (route has to be run leveraging the DB away from the line and then a crisp cut/curl). Also, and we have all said this a number of times, the offense was way too predictable in terms of play calling it was almost like asking your QB to play with an arm tied behind his back. What made Malzahn and Morris' offenses so effective was the sheer volume of plays run from the same set/personnel packages. Only twice that I can recall this year did we ever run a play action from the heavy goal line set. One the TE fell over and I think we scored on the other one. But if you run 30 plays and 28 of them are the same gut run from the same set, defenses will get pretty comfortable defending it.

Montgomery's (Briles') offense will keep teams off balance. I look forward to how Bishop Louie will be utilized because he can flat out blaze. Our OL better get in shape because they're going to run A TON of plays and quickly.

Certainly agree with the wideout issue but the fact is that he DID not get offered by Gundy. I am sure there're many Qbs on the list if Lunt does not commit. Does not mean he was at the top. I am not disputing that he has arm strength (seems like it is not there on long throws) but Kinne had speed and Smith had accuracy and leadership skills. Not sure Evans has any of these traits that are necessary to run this type of offense. Wins and losses matter and he has not led us to many wins.

Actually I think Dane's long passes are under thrown more as a result of him not wanting to over throw an open target. In the first game against Tulane, Evans showed he can sling it around pretty good. I think spreading the offense out more, opening up more passing lanes, along with some more misdirection stuff, jet sweeps, etc. that is typical of the style of offense coming to Chapman, Evans will be freed up a little more. I think BB's offensive scheme was very restrictive and that also made it much easier to defend the primary target and with our OL problems against good DLs, he didn't have much time to scan and find a secondary target.

That said, Hefley and Burgess have both played in similar offenses in HS and think both will be able to pick that system up quickly (providing Burgess is still at TU with his disciplinary trouble).

Look at dane's high school video. The offense from his high school was much more similar to baylor's than BB's crap offense. I think dane's will flourish under monty.

RD - That's twice now you've mentioned Dane's leadership ability - until you've spoken to the players, coaches, academic staff, strength staff, equipment staff, etc., you need to cool it on that - go ahead a spout off about what little football you know, but go easy when it comes to his character, which you obviously know nothing about - thanks

Wow. Get mad much? Character is different than leadership ability. Taking that out of the equation, lets look at wins. We need a qb that can lead us to wins. I do think he is talented but is he talented enough to lead this team and offense? I do not know.
This post was edited on 12/12 10:54 AM by red dirt

Sanger, don't pay much attention to red dirt, he never has anything positive to say. He's a troll and he doesn't even know it. Nobody else on here pays much attention to him. Dane will have every chance in the world to show his skills & leadership ability in the spring. He & the program, just got a new lease on life.

Originally posted by red dirt:
Wow. Get mad much? Character is different than leadership ability. Taking that out of the equation, lets look at wins. We need a qb that can lead us to wins. I do think he is talented but is he talented enough to lead this team and offense? I do not know.

This post was edited on 12/12 10:54 AM by red dirt
And that is exactly why you look like a damned fool everytime you post something on this board.

Under different circumstances, or a different set of guidelines given to any individual, you may get different results.

Dane hasn't had a chance to show that in his two seasons here.
So lets hold offf on murdering any players character until they have a chance to perform under different parameters.

And you do not want to get into a football argument with a qualified football coach.

Tread lightly.

This post was edited on 12/12 11:08 AM by BasPlayr

Red Dirt, you need to take a couple chill pills and call me in the morning.

We all need to remember that Dane's was only a sophomore by experience, and even with that fact, and Bill's tepid playcalling, he still managed to rack up some huge numbers (better than some of the quarterbacks we've had who ran the HUNH)

As someone mentioned previously, Monty runs the read option (veer) to perfection. I've seen him speaking about it in detail in several videos. That's always what Tulsa's needed more of. I think they tried to run it a tiny bit this season, but it was just poorly coached.

Blankenship was always right that you needed the run to set up the pass, but you have to be clever about how you design those run plays... you can't just run off left tackle, or right up the middle 75% of the time. The read option running attack is a much better system that makes defenders really choose the lesser of two evils.

I honestly wish this change could have happened last year for Dane's sake. He showed a lot of promise this year and through good coaching I think he has a decent chance to be one of the great Tulsa quarterbacks. I just wish it could have happened last year so he could have the coaching through his soph year and two years left. But this year is better than never. Here's hoping he gets the direction and guidance he's deserved. He really seems like a great kid and I'd be glad to see him lead us back to bowl country.

Originally posted by aTUfan:

Is he staying on campus or is he returning to baylor for their bowl game?
According to Dr. Gragg and his meeting with the media this AM, whether or not Montgomery coaches in the Cotton Bowl is still being figured out logistically.

Originally posted by TU_BLA:
OK, so things moving fast in the Twitterverse this AM. Phil Montgomery now the leader in the clubhouse. Gragg kept us off balance again. While many thought he was an initial candidate in terms of fans throwing the name out there, much of the talk once the search started centered on Matt Wells, Lashlee, and then Scott Frost. Montgomery's name started coming about ONLY when the offer and possible acceptance was in.

Montgomery has been with Art Briles for 16 years and is said to be the mastermind behind the offense and the QBs that run them (Case Keenum, RGIII, Bryce Petty). If what everyone is saying and reporting (including Football Scoop) then this is a really great get for TU with STRONG recruiting ties in TX.
It appears Montgomery was a top choice, he simply had trouble setting up the interview.

TX

Originally posted by TU Sepp:
I have to wonder if Montgomery will be interested in any of TU's current recruits...
Dr. Gragg had guaranteed their commitments after Blankenship was terminated. At least there are only 10 commits, plenty of scholly's for the new staff to fill with upgraded talent.

TX

Dane's improvement year 1 to year 2 was huge. I think we'll see that again this year and he'll really light it up in Montgomery's new offense.

Dane improved a lot this year and I think Josh Blankenship gets a little credit for helping him along despite the nepotism of the hire.

Hopefully the new staff takes things to a new level. We have a nice qb and at least 3 playmaker receivers, Garrett, Lucas, and Louie.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I hope Dane improves a lot with Monty. If not I suspect he will not hesitate to change unlike BB.

correct.

Five-star quarterback decommits from Texas Tech

David Ubben
FOX Sports Southwest

DEC 13, 2014 10:08p ET

Updated DEC 14, 2014 9:06a ET

Five-star quarterback recruit Jarrett Stidham has decommitted from Texas Tech.

"I want to say thank you to Texas Tech University for giving me the opportunity to play football and get a degree from there, but I have officially decided to decommit for various reasons," Stidham posted on his Twitter account. "Thank you to everyone that has been involved."

Stidham, a native of Stephenville, Texas and the nation's No. 2 quarterback, signed a financial aid agreement with Texas Tech in August and had planned on enrolling at Texas Tech for the winter semester so he could participate in spring practice.

He had first committed to Texas Tech last March.

Stidham had offers from Red Raiders.

Texas Tech's quarterback competition is expected to be open this spring and sophomore Patrick Mahomes will compete with junior Davis Webb if both heal from offseason surgery in time to make it to the field.

Stidham missed five games this season with a broken hand, but still threw for 35 touchdowns, 2,934 yards and ran for 969 yards with 15 touchdowns.

TX

This post was edited on 12/14 10:18 AM by texcane1982

Stephenville QB decommits from Texas Tech

Originally posted by TUBballJunkie:
Hey, it could happen....
They would have to rename the field Montgomery/Stidham Field if that happened.

It will be fun and interesting to see if Dane flourishes under the new system or if some other qb rises to the top...

Originally posted by I.I.:

Originally posted by TUBballJunkie:
Hey, it could happen....
They would have to rename the field Montgomery/Stidham Field if that happened.
I think we would have to find some new ways of paying for Montgomery's contract... because he would give half of the blue hair donors a heart attack!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT