ADVERTISEMENT

MONTGOMERY

TU_BLA

I.T.S. Legend
Gold Member
Mar 9, 2012
Tulsa, OK
OK, so things moving fast in the Twitterverse this AM. Phil Montgomery now the leader in the clubhouse. Gragg kept us off balance again. While many thought he was an initial candidate in terms of fans throwing the name out there, much of the talk once the search started centered on Matt Wells, Lashlee, and then Scott Frost. Montgomery's name started coming about ONLY when the offer and possible acceptance was in.

Montgomery has been with Art Briles for 16 years and is said to be the mastermind behind the offense and the QBs that run them (Case Keenum, RGIII, Bryce Petty). If what everyone is saying and reporting (including Football Scoop) then this is a really great get for TU with STRONG recruiting ties in TX.

Briles is the mastermind behind that system. However, Montgomery has been with Briles long enough to know his system inside and out.

Originally posted by lawpoke87:

Briles is the mastermind behind that system. However, Montgomery has been with Briles long enough to know his system inside and out.
No doubt, but I'm pretty sure Montgomery has been calling the plays for the last year or two. Just watching things happening on the sideline it doesn't seem like Briles has much responsibility on that front during the game. The exact opposite of Lashlee/Malzahn.

Hiring a guy like Lashlee, Frost or Montgomery is always a bit of a risk because while they are the OC the head coach is very involved in the offensive schemes and two of the three cases here brought the offense system to the school. You hope your hire has good managerial skills and can put together a good staff...especially defensively in this case. I would expect Montgomery to coach a lot like Briles and be very involved in the offensive schemes. Briles realized he need a good DC to reach the next level and went out and hired Phil Bennett and the results speak for themselves since that hire.

Like the hire and like the offensive system. Montgomery has great ties in Texas which will should bump recruiting in that state.

I think in this case and with as long as Montgomery has been with Briles and the system, the offense should be fine. I would not be surprised if there is an offensive staff member at Baylor brought in as OC. I'll be interested to see who Montgomery brings in as DC. Wonder if Lou Spanos is wanting to jump back to college from the pro's. He was QAQC for Pittsburgh Steelers D for several years including 2 SBs. LBs coach with Redskins for 4, DC at UCLA for 2, and now back as LB coach for Tennessee Titans. He has wanted to return to Tulsa for a long time.

With as long as he has been in the business Mongtomery probably has a ton of coaching contacts. Good things returning to Harvard and 11th!

Originally posted by TU_BLA:
OK, so things moving fast in the Twitterverse this AM. Phil Montgomery now the leader in the clubhouse. Gragg kept us off balance again. While many thought he was an initial candidate in terms of fans throwing the name out there, much of the talk once the search started centered on Matt Wells, Lashlee, and then Scott Frost. Montgomery's name started coming about ONLY when the offer and possible acceptance was in.
Just to be fair to Chris, his reports always mentioned Montgomery as a possibility and he's had him on the ongoing Candidate List in Hurricane Alley the entire time, including near the top the past several days. But you're only going to know that if you were on the payboard. Then of course he broke the news last night on Montgomery.

I know Chris has a lot of inside info and good info at that. I usually work off of info on here combined with some good sources in other places. Big Al and Pat Jones NOT amongst that group. If they throw a name out, you can be pretty sure the person is not a candidate.

That said Wells and Frost were mentioned amongst both groups and only last night did you really start to hear Montgomery in both places (sorry, I dropped the payboard last year...other priorities).

Now that we have a chance to have a good Offence, does Montgomery, go after previous WR commit Denver Johnson that changed to Iowa st?

Looking into the crystal ball:

Montgomery brings in a little known OC name Joe Patton.... Houston hires a Mike Rommel.... Montgomery proceeds to kick Houston's tail for a few years before Montgomery gets looked at for a position commanding a team elsewhere. He fails miserably. Meanwhile OC Patton, now HC Patton, leads the troops to victory in Italy.....

Wait... I'm getting my genres mixed aren't I.

For realz though.... I think I would have liked Scott Frost better. He a lot of charisma that would have helped on the recruiting trail.

In any case, Montgomery has probably had the chance to go out and look at some Texas kids that may not have been quite right for Baylor but might be a good fit for Tulsa. I think he'll hit the Dallas area hard this year or next, and scour the JUCO ranks for guys who can come contribute immediately.

I'm curious to see if the TU brass has learned their lesson and will now allow Montgomery to bring in Texas HS coaches with recruits(see new SMU coach).

I watched the Baylor – Kansas State game last weekend, with an eye on the Baylor offense especially., since I knew that Montgomery was a possibility for us. I really like their offense. Their passing game just makes sense. When they need 8 yards, they get 9 or 10. They don't throw it to the flat and I hope the receiver makes the yards after the catch. It is very efficient, and looks adaptable to a QB that isn't a Heisman candidate. His offenses at Houston were very effective, too. I am very excited about this hire.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

No kidding aTUfan. This likely will go down as the best Xmas present Dane Evans ever received. Montgomery turned QB after QB into all conference players or better. I can't wait to see that play out with Dane.

Originally posted by chito_and_leon:
No kidding aTUfan. This likely will go down as the best Xmas present Dane Evans ever received. Montgomery turned QB after QB into all conference players or better. I can't wait to see that play out with Dane.
Before it all starts, I can tell you this - HE IS FIRED UP !!!

This will be great for our offense ! Now, we need some help on defense !

Very exciting hire ! I'm also looking forward to hearing about our new staff,

So listening to the Buzz they were saying that Dane was recruited by OkState and they backed off when they got Wes Lunt to commit. BB has seriously stunted Dane's growth if he has that type of talent that OkState and Gundy were pursuing him as a backup plan if Lunt didn't come through. Looking forward to him slinging it all over the place.

Rubley, Hefley, and hopefully Burgess will also now get a shot at the action. BB never gave anyone else a chance at all.

Originally posted by TU_BLA:
So listening to the Buzz they were saying that Dane was recruited by OkState and they backed off when they got Wes Lunt to commit. BB has seriously stunted Dane's growth if he has that type of talent that OkState and Gundy were pursuing him as a backup plan if Lunt didn't come through. Looking forward to him slinging it all over the place.
That's a true story - Every college that came through loved everything about Dane - except that he's 6'1 (Monken and Gundy both told Dane if he was just 6'3 they'd offer him, said they liked his arm talent more than Lunt) - That was before Johnny Manziel blew up - now they don't see 6'1 as being an issue - funny how that works - I have a QB now that's 6'1 and holds offers from the powers schools in every conference - funny how 1 guy can change the entire philosophy behind recruiting QBs.

I have to wonder if Montgomery will be interested in any of TU's current recruits...

As a Baylor fan this guy is a great hire. He will be a success and that will not take time. Go to Youtube and search his name and you will find the Broyles Award speech, Coaching School sessions and some Baylor Football pre-season interviews (about 1 a year).

He is going to be an incredible and we are all going to be watching his success.

Originally posted by I.I.:
Rubley, Hefley, and hopefully Burgess will also now get a shot at the action. BB never gave anyone else a chance at all.
Bingo! I don't think its a forgone conclusion that Dane or anyone else has the inside track to the QB job and all will start out "even". I think one of the requirements will be for the QB to run the ball when the defense allows it.

IMO

Sanger, coaches need to find kids who know how to win regardless of height. I grew up in MA in mid 80's and Doug Flutie was the epitome of winner and at every level he played at. Kids who know how to make plays when they counted most. Paul Smith was that QB at TU in most recent memory. Not the fastest kid, not the strongest arm, and certainly was not big at all but he knew how to win (and he was given a system to be successful in).

Originally posted by aTUfan:

does MONTGOMERY have any family members he could add to his staff?
Art Briles has a son & a son-in-law on his Baylor staff. Bobby Bowden had sons on his staff at Florida State. It's more about winning than having relatives on staff. BTW, I think Montgomery's son is a little too young to join his TU staff !

Originally posted by astonmartin708:

Montgomery brings in a little known OC name Joe Patton.... Houston hires a Mike Rommel.... Montgomery proceeds to kick Houston's tail for a few years before Montgomery gets looked at for a position commanding a team elsewhere. He fails miserably. Meanwhile OC Patton, now HC Patton, leads the troops to victory in Italy.....

For realz though.... I think I would have liked Scott Frost better. He a lot of charisma that would have helped on the recruiting trail.

In any case, Montgomery has probably had the chance to go out and look at some Texas kids that may not have been quite right for Baylor but might be a good fit for Tulsa. I think he'll hit the Dallas area hard this year or next, and scour the JUCO ranks for guys who can come contribute immediately.
That, was awesome... I get the British General reference and your name being a British car
nerd.r191677.gif

This hire renews my faith in the TU administration. Montgomery is the right coach for TU.

I would hope we recruit over Evans. We need a better player than a qb that is immobile and has a hard time with decisions. Montgomery has to have a qb recruit that can come in and elevate the position

Originally posted by TulsaAM:

Originally posted by astonmartin708:

That, was awesome... I get the British General reference and your name being a British car
nerd.r191677.gif

This hire renews my faith in the TU administration. Montgomery is the right coach for TU.
Hope he takes a hard look at the UAB market. If we can get any of them into the school!

Evans is much better than many on here think. The system we had last year was still geared more to Green than Evans.

Dane has some tools, and we just hired one of the premier QB coaches in America. Let's hold off on chasing Dane off campus.

I'm no coach and I've only watched a few Baylor games, but the Houston offense had some veer looks and emphasized QB rushing to a point of release when passing. I'm not sure Evans has those tools. Rubley has the wheels, but may not have the arm or durability.

Malzahn and the other OCs never really had their own QBs, which makes their record even more impressive. While TU has proven in the past it can win big with the horses in the stable, it might be nice to see him bring in his own guy. When Briles took the Houston job, Kolb switched his commitment. Here's to hoping Montgomery has a similar player in mind.

I think Evans would be a great qb. Always have. I can see him kil killing it with the right direction.

Evans isn't that bad of a runner. It's the passes right at safeties and happy feet that need work. The good news is we have someone with high level knowledge and experience, as opposed to someone who had never been a coordinator at the D1 level.

Why do we think he can be a great qb? I saw a player that is not very accurate with the football, has limited speed, and quite frankly, has only won 5 games as a starter in two years. I agree that the scheme may not have great but a good qb elevates the position. We need a better player and leader behind center that will win games and not throw a ton of interceptions like Evans.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT