ADVERTISEMENT

Montgomery to Arkansas?

Arkansas will push hard for Malzahn. Not sure they’ll get him but they’ll get a much bigger name than Monty.

Frank Broyles. He’s coming back from ‘retirement’.

No, the guy who won 10 games last year.....

They should have hired him last year then. The guy they would be hiring this year is 2-9. No way the piggie fan base is going to be down with that.

Last edited:
Montgomery will be lucky to be employed at Tulsa next year. If you want to speculate, give us a list of schools that need an OC, who want to install the Baylor offense, and don't mind having a Briles protege who calls the plays on staff, who will pay Montgomery more than his current salary. Because the only way he is leaving for a "better" job is to go OC at an elite program. Hint: The list of schools meeting the above is short. Really short.

Reactions: TUGrad06
If somebody told me I had to pick which would be more likely to happen: Arkansas HC Montgomery or Texas A&M OC Montgomery I would lay down 50:1 odds it would be Aggie OC if either happened at the end of this season. Which neither will.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Maybe Arkansas hires Briles and he brings Monty as OC. I could see that. The hogs don't have much in the way of morals when it comes to winning football.
Briles is as untouchable as Roy Moore. Ain’t no one going there for a while. If a Canadian Football Leage Team isn’t allowed to hire him as a consultant, he’s not getting an OC or HC job anytime soon anywhere.

The way Arkansas fired Bielema not even letting him get off the field after the game today is classless. Gus may listen but Gus ain’t going after that display. They’d be luck to get a P5 coordinator after that garbage.

Briles is as untouchable as Roy Moore. Ain’t no one going there for a while. If a Canadian Football Leage Team isn’t allowed to hire him as a consultant, he’s not getting an OC or HC job anytime soon anywhere.

The way Arkansas fired Bielema not even letting him get off the field after the game today is classless. Gus may listen but Gus ain’t going after that display. They’d be luck to get a P5 coordinator after that garbage.
A sizable group of Baylor fans wanted to bring Briles back, and it's a "Christian school"! Unless Briles has a show cause, I have little doubt that Arkansas would give it serious thought if they thought he could compete for an SEC championship. And keep in mind that Roy Moore has about a 60% chance of winning the election in Alabama according to the betting pools...

I'd wager that at least one of the following coaches: Morris, Norvell, or Strong end up at one of the following schools: Arkansas, Texas A&M, Tennessee, or Ole Miss. All three are already in the rumor mill as prime candidates for the Arkansas job.

I’d be willing to bet Strong would never coach at Arkansas given the racism of their fan base.

I’d be willing to bet Strong would never coach at Arkansas given the racism of their fan base.

??? Mike Anderson is there now and Nolan Richardson coached there for a long time.

Arky clASSless??? Not those arse hats.

I suspect Gus will turn down the Hawgs and stay at Auburn. Chad will consider both T A&M and Arkansas. He will probably take one of those jobs. Norvell played in Conway at UCA, if Gus turns them down I would not be shocked if Norvell takes over in Fayettenam. Very likely the AAC loses 3 HC’s (2 to SEC and 1 to B10)

PS I also suspect that TG is having his “team” let the Arkansas people know his interest in the job and that he made Norvell. They will suggest why go to the pupil when you can have the teacher.

Last edited:
I agree Graham could be lobbying for Arkansas behind the scenes, but even the piggies will be too smart for that. They'll recognize it's a coach trying to outrun a firing.

??? Mike Anderson is there now and Nolan Richardson coached there for a long time.

And Nolan had problems with it. Hopefully it’s better for Anderson now, but it is Arkansas.

When Nolan was hired at Arky he was absolutely savaged by a racist newspaper sports editor in Little Rock. It really made things tough for him.

There’s a big difference in coaching Football and basketball. There are significantly more black basketball coaches than football coaches for a number of reasons that mainly surround where each sport is most popular. So no, it wouldn’t surprise me at all if Arkansas had problems with Strong.

Nolan lives in Fayetteville and is very active and popular not only in the area but with the University. His lawsuit was more about “wounded pride” than actual discrimination imo. Mike Anderson is also very popular fwiw. No clue about the football dynamic and a black coach.

Nolan lives in Fayetteville and is very active and popular not only in the area but with the University. His lawsuit was more about “wounded pride” than actual discrimination imo. Mike Anderson is also very popular fwiw. No clue about the football dynamic and a black coach.
I think Nolan has forgiven, which is very different than deciding he was wrong. And there's a huge difference between "not being discriminated against" and "not proving a case under the law," which makes discrimination cases very difficult to win. I think fans also did crazy stuff like make bomb threats.

Reactions: TU 1978
Nolan was let go not for performance issues but he felt comfortable in his position to start using it as a mouthpiece to draw attention to some of the racial iniquities in society, ala John Thompson at Georgetown. While the big time white donors at UA loved Nolan winning lots of games, they didn't love that part of him. Nolan made the Waltons uncomfortable.

Reactions: chito_and_leon
Nolan had a strained relationship to say the least with Broyles and Chancellor White at the end of his tenure there. He publicly challenged the University twice to fire him. Arkansas finally had enough of the public display the granted him his wish. He turned around and brought suit against the University for racial discrimination which was dismissed by a federal judge two years later. My comment that the lawsuit was more about "wounded pride" than actual discrimination came directly from the judge's decision. Nolan and those involved seem to have mended fences. I don't think anyone would challenge the notion that Nolan made many uncomfortable by using his head coaching position as a social justice platform.

Even as a 7th grader, I stood in the Civic Center in disbelief at all the south Tulsa racists bobbing their heads and singing along to the warm up song "Ain't No Stopping Us Now" talking about "if you've ever been held down before, I know you'll refuse to be held down anymore."

People were a lot more comfortable with the platform, there and here, when it included 25 win seasons. When the wins and the booster money faded, the routine got old with the establishment over there. That friction is what led to him being removed. He wasn't fired for commenting on race relations. He was fired for struggling seasons. He just got fewer of them than other coaches might have been allowed, because he was "a race man."

Even as a 7th grader, I stood in the Civic Center in disbelief at all the south Tulsa racists bobbing their heads and singing along to the warm up song "Ain't No Stopping Us Now" talking about "if you've ever been held down before, I know you'll refuse to be held down anymore."

People were a lot more comfortable with the platform, there and here, when it included 25 win seasons. When the wins and the booster money faded, the routine got old with the establishment over there. That friction is what led to him being removed. He wasn't fired for commenting on race relations. He was fired for struggling seasons. He just got fewer of them than other coaches might have been allowed, because he was "a race man."
Kind of like the people who would cheer for the Dodgers then spit on Jackie Robinson as he left the field.

When an employee publicly challenges a university to fire them. They are then asked by the university not to publicly make that challenge again. They walk out of that meeting and again publicly challenge the university to fire them. I'm not sure the university has an option at that point but termination...regardless of the color of the man's skin. I'm not sure 25 wins saves that job but 25 wins likely results in a happier coach and Admin. Now....I'm not saying that race didn't play a role in why Nolan became angry and obstinate at the end just that he had to know the outcome of his actions...especially when he chose to repeat them. I did find it interesting that he personally invited Broyles to his HOF induction especially considering the filing the unsuccessful lawsuit. Appears both parties realized they contributed to the eventual dysfunction.

When an employee publicly challenges a university to fire them. They are then asked by the university not to publicly make that challenge again. They walk out of that meeting and again publicly challenge the university to fire them. I'm not sure the university has an option at that point but termination...regardless of the color of the man's skin. I'm not sure 25 wins saves that job but 25 wins likely results in a happier coach and Admin. Now....I'm not saying that race didn't play a role in why Nolan became angry and obstinate at the end just that he had to know the outcome of his actions...especially when he chose to repeat them. I did find it interesting that he personally invited Broyles to his HOF induction especially considering the filing the unsuccessful lawsuit. Appears both parties realized they contributed to the eventual dysfunction.
Nolan says he's "forgiven". The essence of forgiving is ceasing anger toward someone who wronged you while not changing your belief they wronged you. If you change your mind and decide they didn't wrong you, then it's something totally different, it's not forgiveness. There's been quite a bit of research on the physical and psychological impact of forgiving and it's pretty amazing. But it's about saying "I won't be angry any more, I won't let this person continue to hurt me through my anger even though he wronged me." I don't know if Nolan uses the term like that but I get the sense he does.

Has he ever said exactly why he was so angry? I don’t see how it can be that he was fired. Most universities would have fired a coach under those circumstances.

Kind of like the people who would cheer for the Dodgers then spit on Jackie Robinson as he left the field.

Years ago, my dad and I went to a TU-USC baseball game at old Oiler park at the fairgrounds to watch Anthony Davis play. He played running back for the Trojan football team and right field for the USC baseball team.

He was racially heckled throughout the game but maintained his cool. After the game, my father waited outside for the team bus to load so that he could apologise to AD for those idiot fans. I got an autograph out of the deal too.

I learned a lot that day.

Years ago, my dad and I went to a TU-USC baseball game at old Oiler park at the fairgrounds to watch Anthony Davis play. He played running back for the Trojan football team and right field for the USC baseball team.

He was racially heckled throughout the game but maintained his cool. After the game, my father waited outside for the team bus to load so that he could apologise to AD for those idiot fans. I got an autograph out of the deal too.

I learned a lot that day.

TU Baseball... ah memories..

I wish we still had a baseball program. Now that NJ has abandoned basketball for full time baseball my dream of seeing him in Tulsa blue and gold is fading.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT