ADVERTISEMENT

Maybe wages haven't actually stagnated

Interesting.

Median wages are also what's used for the .77 to $1 female to male income statistics.

It's not a meaningful apples to apples comparison.

Reactions: URedskin54
Nice story. It's a shame that the median age of the American worker is almost two years older in 2014 compared to 2004. Pretty much debunks the storyline.

I think it's unlikely that they would publish a study premised on a decrease in median age when that would be so easily debunked. Probably just the writer over simplifying the finding to make it more understandable for readers. I'm more interested in the data showing that wages increased if demographic changes are accounted for. I think the more obvious critique of this is that the data showing full time workers being replaced by part time workers is pretty significant even if the full time workers' wages are increasing. It's also arguable that demographic changes aren't always meaningful and that adjusting for them is actually manipulating the statistics to make them seem rosier.

Last edited:
Interesting.

Median wages are also what's used for the .77 to $1 female to male income statistics.

It's not a meaningful apples to apples comparison.

I wonder if the influx of women into the workforce has skewed median wages downward as well. Women are more likely to have gaps in employment history, which will tend to hurt wages. Studying people under continuous employment probably excludes a lot of women (and tons of people who were laid off). I guess we'd have to read the actually study to see what they controlled for.

Last edited:
Let me throw this crazy idea out.....good paying manufacturing jobs are being shipped across our borders and replaced with lower paying service jobs. Many being of those of the part time variety

Ah but service sector wages are roughly equal to manufacturing wages, on average. Perhaps not on median, haven't seen the data. The part time part is plausible though. Weekly earnings are significantly lower in the service sector.

Ah but service sector wages are roughly equal to manufacturing wages, on average. Perhaps not on median, haven't seen the data. The part time part is plausible though. Weekly earnings are significantly lower in the service sector.

Can you provide a link to show service jobs pay the same on average as manufacturing job. I've heard the exact opposite

Thanks for the link. Couple of things jump out at me. First...there's a huge difference in pay between the professional service jobs and those in retail and leisure/hospitality. Unfortunately, most of the job growth in the service area has occurred in the retail and leisure sectors. Can't link but the NYTimes has several articles detailing the same. Such a descepency would tend to explain there drop in median wages.

Reactions: URedskin54
Since the latest recession, yes. After the 2001 recession there was equally strong job growth in both high and low paying industries. What accounts for the difference? I'm not implying anything, I'm just genuinely curious as to what has caused this recovery to skew towards lower paying jobs this time around. Maybe the nature of the industries affected? Construction and finance.

I wonder if the influx of women into the workforce has skewed median wages downward as well. Women are more likely to have gaps in employment history, which will tend to hurt wages. Studying people under continuous employment probably excludes a lot of women (and tons of people who were laid off). I guess we'd have to read the actually study to see what they controlled for.

Well what really "hurts" wages in that statistic is the fact that it's all weekly wages compared to all weekly wages. Not female doctors to male doctors. Like this stagnant wage discussion, we aren't comparing doctors' wages in 2010 to doctors' wages in 2016.

I'm not one that buys into the gender wage gap hype at all. And I personally think being female has served me quite well.

Question. Wages for hospitality are just what come from payroll, no? Not tips? I have no doubt many servers in Houston take home more money than I do.

Last edited:
Reactions: TUMe
Well and along those lines, many service jobs in this city being paid outside of payroll completely.

Our housekeeper makes $40/hr (which is actually comparable to Tulsa, most in Houston are more expensive).

If you have skills, are experience, are flexible, are reliable, are self motivated . . . There is a good job waiting for you

So anyone who hasn't worked in a full-time capacity the entire 2002-2015 time frame is excluded from the data, what kind of cherry picking is this nonsense? Most employees in the same job will benefit from increases wages, benefits, seniority, but most workers don't stay in the same position like workers did a generation or two ago, it's not typical now-a-days.

So how much is slapping a burger on a bun worth?

How much more is it worth today vs 20 years ago?

Usually a job pays based on how many people are qualified to do the jobf(supply and demand) ie NBA, hollywood, PGA, nfl, serving burgers, . . . .

Last edited:
Hmm.. Wages going down?...

Pretty certain the overall wages in the energy industry went down when the bottom fell out of oil price...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT