ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Wells?

HuffyCane

I.T.S. Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 25, 2004
He's won at a school in a small state that is third on the picking list amongst local recruits. He's from Sallisaw. We know he can recruit.

Why isn't he being mentioned?

We actually have to formally terminate the current coach first.

A couple of thoughts. He's currently coaching at his alma mater, as I understand it. I'm not sure he left on the best of terms.

This post was edited on 12/1 7:14 AM by Gold*

GOLD....my nightmare continues into the morning as I was expecting an announcement on SOMETHING by 8:00am. Second, did Wells leave here or did he leave Pittsburgh when Graham left? I think that may provide a difference for us. Graham is a good coach and relentless worker, but he can also grind those who play or coach for him the wrong way creating a problem or tension.

I don't think that is as big a problem as much as his being the current head coach at his alma mater is. Can he be convinced to come to TU? Probably but it will take a lot more work than $$. Being closer to home as well as being able to recruit TX a little more than at Utah St. might be an easier sell...as well as the promise of the coming IPF.

We'll see. I don't see a shortage of candidates. Heck Pelini is out there too and while a P5 job might not have "worked", TU could be the perfect place for him. It's not like he tanked as HC...they just didn't win 90% of their games (Pelini won at least 9 games for 7 straight years. He was 67-27 over 7 years.) Nebraska also fired Frank Solich after a 9-3 season and went with Bill Callahan as HC. Swear all the corn and moonshine is making them not think straight.

Originally posted by HuffyCane:
He's won at a school in a small state that is third on the picking list amongst local recruits. He's from Sallisaw. We know he can recruit.

Why isn't he being mentioned?
He's been mentioned several times in Hurricane Alley over the past week, along with several other interesting names.

At this point we don't even need to have this conversation. We still have a coach.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT