ADVERTISEMENT

Mascot Name

Hard to vote on a name to something you can't even see. What if we name him Gus T. and he is unveiled and there is nothing Gus T. about him. What if we name him Herc but he has a fanny pack?

Wowzers....that is a tough one. Herc sounds like the old one, that we used to use as a trash can on top. Gale sounds more like a feminine name to me (yeah I know Gale Sayers and all), of course I'm partial to Hurricane Hank, but Gus T. has a nice ring. The T could be Tulsa I suppose.

There was nothing wrong with the name…. Ugh. Captain Cane was fine.… you just needed to make his actual mascot representation not terrible.

We have such opportunities sometimes and continually shoot ourselves in the foot by focusing on the wrong problems.

Also, continually trying to appeal to children is what got us into this mess in the first place.… you don’t see Norte Dame rebranding their Fighting Irishman into “Lucky the Leprechaun”

We could have / should have gone after something that was admirable in terms of character traits rather than something kid friendly / fanciful.

Nothing about “Gus T” denotes strength, ferocity, agility, tenacity, fighting spirit, perseverance, etc… decent mascots tend to fall into one or a couple of those categories…

Last edited:
When are we gonna do the Fuzzy Furry Retro Mascot, I love this one.

They weren't worried about the children when they put this on the field.

Love the Goblin face, sporting the fashion conscious TU rain/straight jacket.

We can call him Harry Hurricane.
huffy-1978-318x652.png

Last edited:
There was nothing wrong with the name…. Ugh. Captain Cane was fine.… you just needed to make his actual mascot representation not terrible.

We have such opportunities sometimes and continually shoot ourselves in the foot by focusing on the wrong problems.

Also, continually trying to appeal to children is what got us into this mess in the first place.… you don’t see Norte Dame rebranding their Fighting Irishman into “Lucky the Leprechaun”

We could have / should have gone after something that was admirable in terms of character traits rather than something kid friendly / fanciful.

Nothing about “Gus T” denotes strength, ferocity, agility, tenacity, fighting spirit, perseverance, etc… decent mascots tend to fall into one or a couple of those categories…
I finally remembered who Drew astonMoretin reminded me of.

I hate all the names they threw out there. They're pretty terrible IMO. Captain Cane was a fine name and ...gulp...I actually agree with Aston that it was the characterization of Captain Cane that was what was wrong, not the name.

My suggestion is Cat5 or you change the name every game according to the National Hurricane Center's naming convention for the year. It's Hurricane Ada for game 1, Hurricane Bart for game 2. OR have a business sponsor him and name him each game. Hurricane QT...at least you get a little extra $$$ out of it

I try not to be too negative about stuff like this, but I have to agree that I was underwhelmed by the Final Four.

I also would have no problem keeping the Captain Cane moniker with a refreshed look/suit. From the 4, I voted for Herc, but I like Captain Cane and some of the other ones I saw more (Surge, Tempest, etc.)

woodgust.jpg

If you lived in Tulsa in the 1970s, this is the Gusty we remember.
All four choices are clearly vetted by someone over age 60 not a pro sports comms team that knows what people will identify with and buy. And make no mistake, this is about sales, (or the lack thereof with the previous local PR shop disaster).

All four choices are clearly vetted by someone over age 60 not a pro sports comms team that knows what people will identify with and buy. And make no mistake, this is about sales, (or the lack thereof with the previous local PR shop disaster).
I walked into Chipotle yesterday with a group of four dudes who were likely students, talking about the names. They sounded a bit confused by the choices. Perhaps not thrilled.

Reactions: HuffyCane
This could also be a smokescreen and none of them will be used.

Herc! After so many years of the late, lamented Cap'n Cane, I've long ago ceased to be mildly embarrassed by the mascot. Can Herc! be any worse? It's all about football and this year has me particularly jazzed up.

Herc! After so many years of the late, lamented Cap'n Cane, I've long ago ceased to be mildly embarrassed by the mascot. Can Herc! be any worse? It's all about football and this year has me particularly jazzed up.
Hercy Jerky Hurricane.

I join you on that sentiment.
You're going to love today's text message exchange 🤣

Text: ".........to learn more about season tickets starting at just $9 a month....."

Me: "I'm not really big into Hockey, but thank you"

Text: "well great news this is for football, not Hockey"

Me: "oh my apologies, I got them confused with that team that plays at the BOK center"

• Haha
Reactions: TU_BLA
You're going to love today's text message exchange 🤣

Text: ".........to learn more about season tickets starting at just $9 a month....."

Me: "I'm not really big into Hockey, but thank you"

Text: "well great news this is for football, not Hockey"

Me: "oh my apologies, I got them confused with that team that plays at the BOK center"
:rofl:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">You will want to tune into The Morning Blitz tomorrow at 7 am. <a href="https://twitter.com/utulsa?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@utulsa</a> president <a href="https://twitter.com/bradrcarson?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@bradrcarson</a> will join us live in studio to unveil the new <a href="https://twitter.com/TulsaHurricane?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@TulsaHurricane</a> mascot! <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/ReignCane?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#ReignCane</a> <a href="https://t.co/7C9jUOzAmK">pic.twitter.com/7C9jUOzAmK</a></p>&mdash; The Blitz 1170 (@TheBlitz1170) <a href="">August 30, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT