ADVERTISEMENT

Marshall stays at Wichita

We will see if Marshall thinks that next summer. He has one more year with Baker and VanVleet. If he sticks around next summer, then we will know he thinks he can keep it going.

Regardless, the point for conference expansion isn't to simply add a good team. The point is to add $. Wichita St doesn't add $. They do not make the conference more attractive for a tv deal and they do not have a football team yet they add another mouth to feed through the existing tv deals.

FWIW
From CBSSportsline..

2015-16 Ridiculously Early Preseason Top 25 (and one)

10. WICHITA STATE

Notable players definitely gone: Darius Carter, Tekele Cotton

Others expected to leave: None

Notable players expected to return: Fred VanVleet, Ron Baker, Evan Wessel, Shaquille Morris, Rashard Kelly

Others expected to join the roster: Connor Frankamp, Markus McDuffie, Landry Shamet, Eric Hamilton, Tyrone Taylor

Why the Shockers are ranked here: Ron Baker could declare for the NBA
Draft, which would drop Wichita State some. But, either way, the
Shockers will have Gregg Marshall coaching the team and Fred VanVleet
running the team, and that's a nice combination.

13. SMU

Notable players definitely gone: Yanick Moreira, Cannen Cunningham, Ryan Manuel

Others expected to leave: None

Notable players expected to return: Nic Moore, Markus Kennedy, Ben Moore, Sterling Brown, Ben Emelogu

Others expected to join the roster: Semi Ojeleye, Shake Milton, Cedrick Barefield

Why the Mustangs are ranked here: The reigning American Athletic
Conference Player of the Year (Nic Moore) is back. That means SMU should
make the NCAA Tournament in consecutive years for the first time since
1984 and 1985.

26. CINCINNATI

Notable players definitely gone: Jermaine Sanders

Others expected to leave:

Notable players expected to return: Octavius Ellis, Shaquille Thomas,
Gary Clark, Troy Caupain, Farad Cobb, Quadri Moore, Coreontae DeBerry,
Deshaun Morman, Kevin Johnson

Others expected to join the roster: Jacob Evans, Justin Jenifer

Why the Bearcats are ranked here: Mick Cronin should be back on the
sideline next season, and he has a lot of tough and experienced players
returning with him. The Bearcats will likely be the biggest threat to
SMU in the American Athletic Conference

We MUST start recruiting better if we hope to compete with Cincy, SMU and UConn after next season. Haven't been impressed with our last two classes and the 2015 class doesn't look great on paper. We need a few difference makers.

Agreed...

To me, year 3 defines a college coach (football and basketball).

Haith has a completely white canvas to show his capabilities in year 3...

McDowell is a great start...

Hopefully, things haven't slowed from there.

I think years 1 and 2 are only going to tell us how good a game coach Haith is. While he has a few open scholarships, it can be difficult to fill some areas of future need when there is so little available playing time. You hope that year 3 shows a solid base of young guys to build around but the win/loss may be pretty ugly. I think years 4 and 5 will be the time to fully evaluate Haith.

Coach K was 38-47 his first three seasons at Duke. Dean Smith was 63-47 his first five seasons at UNC. I bet they are glad they gave them some time. I think Haith was thoroughly mediocre at Miami. I think Haith is responsible for the current train wreck at Missouri and I think he would have been fired if he had stayed one more season. Based on that, I have real doubts whether he can take TU to the next level. However, if you are willing to dump him if year 3 is bad, you might as well do it now because year 3 is going to be bad. Since he is the coach, it would be my preference to support the guy and give him a chance to do the job. Due to the large junior class that he inherited, that means giving him the fourth and fifth year to bring in the talent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT