ADVERTISEMENT

Marlin Stadium layout for bowl game

mcane

I.T.S. Athletic Director
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2003
Is sort of a hoot. No seats on one side of the field. Home plate curves around the edge of the end zone on the other.

You can see this on the TU athletic website, ticket purchase link. By the way, if you can't go (and I can't), you can purchase tickets for local military to attend - helps TU and is a good deed.

Reactions: TU 1978
That's crazy. It's about like when the St. Louis Cardinals played a game at Skelly stadium years ago. That was crazy as well.

That's crazy. It's about like when the St. Louis Cardinals played a game at Skelly stadium years ago. That was crazy as well.
Wait. Whaaaaaaa? We couldn't even make a full softball field out of Skelly for intramurals. One side was always way too short and there had to be a HR rule on one side of the field where HR's started to only count as doubles.

Reactions: scotty0912
TU seats are in 10, 11 and 12. Near home plate but 20 yard line to end zone

Last edited:
Wait. Whaaaaaaa? We couldn't even make a full softball field out of Skelly for intramurals. One side was always way too short and there had to be a HR rule on one side of the field where HR's started to only count as doubles.
I hit lots of HRs to the short RF porch in Skelly...I'm also a natural lefty.

I hit lots of HRs to the short RF porch in Skelly...I'm also a natural lefty.
I saw a former football player, who was getting thrown away from, overhand - tomahawk swing a softball into the RF stands.

I was always impressed when you'd see someone ding one way into left. Not very many homers went that way.

marlins-park.png

I saw a former football player, who was getting thrown away from, overhand - tomahawk swing a softball into the RF stands.

I was always impressed when you'd see someone ding one way into left. Not very many homers went that way.
No. There was a guy in law school at the time I was there who had been a pitcher in the Braves organization before going back to school. He hit left handed (opposite for him) and he hit one over the "T" in RF probably about 6-7 rows down from the press box. Fairly ridiculous. I did see Ron Jackson (yes that Ron Jackson) hit one out to left to the right of the goal post back in the day (of the original parking lot green astroturf).

You would think the field would be layed out from home plate to LF, running parallel to the 3B side seating with the end zone running right up to the Clevelander. You can't exactly watch the game on the field from the Clevelander.

A few years ago Northwestern hosted Illinois at Wrigley Field. For some reason the ground crew thought it was alright to layout the field in a manner that put the back line of one end zone right to the RF wall. The Big Ten stepped in and modified the ground rules out of safety concern. All offensive possession went to the 3B end zone.

y-jp-wrigley-jumbo.jpg

TX

You would think the field would be layed out from home plate to LF, running parallel to the 3B side seating with the end zone running right up to the Clevelander. You can't exactly watch the game on the field from the Clevelander.

A few years ago Northwestern hosted Illinois at Wrigley Field. For some reason the ground crew thought it was alright to layout the field in a manner that put the back line of one end zone right to the RF wall. The Big Ten stepped in and modified the ground rules out of safety concern. All offensive possession went to the 3B end zone.

wrigley-endzone.jpg

image7071489x.jpg

:D they did add padding to the brick wall, fake ivy and all!

For the number of fans attending, no. But who else has the crazy fish?

The Astrodome figured out how to make football work regularly. Shouldn't be that hard?

The Astrodome had Earl Campbell and Bum Phillips' 10-gallon hat to distract us from silly dimensions.

Stupid question here... Is it that hard to find a football stadium to play in?
It's more about staging an event at particular stadiums and serving specific areas of a community. As new baseball parks pop up more are hosting bowl games. I think AT&T park in SF hosts a game, the ballpark in Phoenix (Chase/Bank One?), etc. I'm suprised Minute Maid in Houston doesn't have one too. It's more of a novelty thing imo. This is actually the only bowl game played in Miami proper. The Orange Bowl game is played in northern most Miami and Boca Bowl at FAU.

Marlins Park is actually on the site of the old Orange Bowl.
TX

Yeah, if Minute Maid was hosting something we'd probably strongly consider going. Not really interested in teams who aren't our own all the way out at NRG.

Speaking of Miami stadiums, I didn't realize the Dolphins stadium had undergone a major renovation. I guess the umbrella drink sippers wanted to leave baking in the sun at the beach?

hero2.jpg

You credit Campbell & Bum but don't mention The Snake, come on! Him slithering around could distract.

saw several football and baseball games at the old Dome - always special. Was sitting there one night waiting for the TU football score to come through - when the board posted TU 50 something over West Texas 14 or so, I jumped up and freaked out my friends.

Speaking of Miami stadiums, I didn't realize the Dolphins stadium had undergone a major renovation. I guess the umbrella drink sippers wanted to leave baking in the sun at the beach?

hero2.jpg
YES. This is the European soccer stadium model. You see a lot of the new MLS/soccer majority stadiums doing this. The one in Carson, CA is a very typical model. Fans stay in shade or dry while the players still compete somewhat in the elements. They do cast some funky shadows during the day and it does affect the wind pattern within the stadium. Honestly, if TU could ever find a big $ donor like T Boone (like QT), with the modifications to Chapman and smaller seating area, TU could really do this while adding some additional suites on the east side. It would be fantastic.

And for the person who asked why they couldn't find a football stadium...Dolphins Stadium (whatever the heck they're calling it these days) I think is already hosting 3 bowl games and then FAU is hosting the Boca Bowl.

That's one of the things that don't make sense in the current bowl era. Bowls were originally devised as a way to get national focus on an area and entice tourists. Why have 3 bowls in one city much less one stadium? As much as I like TU going to bowls they need to scrap about half of the current ones.

That's one of the things that don't make sense in the current bowl era. Bowls were originally devised as a way to get national focus on an area and entice tourists. Why have 3 bowls in one city much less one stadium? As much as I like TU going to bowls they need to scrap about half of the current ones.
The City of Miami sees nothing when a game is played in the City of Miami Gardens where the Miami Dolphins and University of Miami and the Orange Bowl is played. This game is in the City of Miami, so they get a sales tax boost and a city hotel occupancy tax boost. The City also has to spend a certain amount of its state allocated tourist promotion tax dollars on attracting things to the Marlins stadium besides baseball. This is part of that package.

Reactions: TU_BLA
The City of Miami sees nothing when a game is played in the City of Miami Gardens where the Miami Dolphins and University of Miami and the Orange Bowl is played. This game is in the City of Miami, so they get a sales tax boost and a city hotel occupancy tax boost. The City also has to spend a certain amount of its state allocated tourist promotion tax dollars on attracting things to the Marlins stadium besides baseball. This is part of that package.
Maybe, but only if somebody shows up. I guess the players and coaches count.

saw several football and baseball games at the old Dome - always special. Was sitting there one night waiting for the TU football score to come through - when the board posted TU 50 something over West Texas 14 or so, I jumped up and freaked out my friends.
Was at the dome in '88 when there was more kernels in my popcorn bucket than Cougar-Kitty fans. Unfortunately, Jack Pardee thought he better start padding Andre Ware's Heisman stats. UH-82 TU-28. Thus began my intense dislike of all things Houston(although I do respect current B'ball coach as the best in the AACK!) I heard later that a bunch of TU players were sick with the flu or some ailment. Not the infamous 100-6, but this hurt bad,too.

YES. This is the European soccer stadium model. You see a lot of the new MLS/soccer majority stadiums doing this. The one in Carson, CA is a very typical model. Fans stay in shade or dry while the players still compete somewhat in the elements. They do cast some funky shadows during the day and it does affect the wind pattern within the stadium. Honestly, if TU could ever find a big $ donor like T Boone (like QT), with the modifications to Chapman and smaller seating area, TU could really do this while adding some additional suites on the east side. It would be fantastic.

And for the person who asked why they couldn't find a football stadium...Dolphins Stadium (whatever the heck they're calling it these days) I think is already hosting 3 bowl games and then FAU is hosting the Boca Bowl.

And here I thought that they were just copying Tex Schrams design for the old Texas Stadium...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT