ADVERTISEMENT

Lovie Smith...

TU Sepp

I.T.S. Athletic Director
Feb 8, 2004
....has been fired by the Tampa Bay Bucs.
1st season they went 2 - 14
2nd season they went 6 - 10

Hope he lands on his feet somewhere.

Disappointing for sure because once Winston figured things out they were a lot better this year. Lovie has to be pissed that he keeps getting fired a season after they get him a real QB. Maybe it's time for Lovie to become a college D-coord...maybe return home :)

Does he want to return to college coaching as an assistant? he would be great for us
I wasn't trying to imply he was looking to get back into the college game, I would just love it if he came here and lent some of his expertise. His ability to break down offenses and understand tendencies from certain looks are what made his defenses so good (as long as he had the players). I would be surprised if he doesn't land a DC gig in the NFL with all the coaching changes going on. Who knows, the Patriots may need a DC after this year as Matt Patricia's name is a hot one with a lot of the HC openings right now.

Not a great week for former University of Tulsa football players turned professional coach. Bob Babich was fired as Jacksonville's defensive coordinator a couple of days ago.

Jason Garrett does a lot worse than that and keeps his job.
I read somewhere it would cost Dallas $24M to fire Garrett right now. Probably the reason he is still the coach. Jerry Jones does some of the dumbest things I've ever seen when it comes to contracts for players and coaches. Sort of reminds me of how Ron Caron/Mike Keenan did things in the NHL that ended up screwing the St. Louis Blues for 10 years....signing Brendan Shanahan to an over-bloated contract as a restricted FA and the NHL awarding defenseman Scott Stevens as compensation. After that the Devils won 3 Stanley Cups, while the Blues traded Shanahan to the Red Wings for what would become Chris Pronger. Oh, and the Blues had to pay Shanahan for several years after he left St. Louis. Its only been the last 5-7 years that St. Louis got out from under some of those stupid deals and John Davidson started to rebuild the Blues into an annual playoff team that actually had a chance. All that to say Jerry Jones has really cost his team a chance to be consistently good. He threw too much money at Aikman, Irvin, and Smith to be able to maintain a good crop of players on the line and defense and he's been trying to get out from underneath for the last 20 years. Every time he gets close, he screws up another deal. He gave too much money to Bryant and not enough to Murray. 88-100 touches a year versus 300 (WR to RB).

Last edited:
I remember Pat Jones saying that Jerry Jones spent a lot of time in Oakland learning how to in a team from Al Davis. Giving the direction of the team, I believe it.

I read where Lovie will get $10 million as a parting gift.

We could use a DC.

I read where Lovie will get $10 million as a parting gift.

I know top level coaches are highly motivated individuals with tons of drive and ego. I doubt many "want" to get fired. But I have to wonder if, after a few months on the golf course next to their mansions, they stop and think it all seemed to work out OK.

Not a great week for former University of Tulsa football players turned professional coach. Bob Babich was fired as Jacksonville's defensive coordinator a couple of days ago.
Went to Jr High and High School with Bob's wife. Great family. Sorry to hear that news.

GO TU!!!!

Former TU DB Dennis Hickey was fired as the Dolphins GM last week as well. It's unfortunate all these former TU players/coaches have been doing their thing in train wreck situations. Jacksonville is not getting better anytime soon, the Dolphins...have the players to be good, they just aren't. Tampa Bay would have gone 9-7 or 10-6 next year (and still will), Lovie's firing is a bit of a mystery considering this is yr 1 with your franchise QB.

And depending on what happens in Tennessee, my former roommate might be out as Titans LB coach.

Went to Jr High and High School with Bob's wife. Great family. Sorry to hear that news.

GO TU!!!!

I'm sure he'll rebound and find another job. He was a tough FB player and I imagine he's a tough minded coach as well.

I think Largent still has that big $$$$ lobbyist type job. TU is probable far from his mind.

Yeah, he would probably dissolve the cock-fighting team, which would be bad for the university...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT