ADVERTISEMENT

Konkol extended

Hmmm. A little premature if you asked me, which they didn't. I like Konkol and I appreciate that he inherited a real mess, but I would like to see a more wow-factor result before extending. Let's hope that wow-factor result is this season.

Not sure I've ever seen a coach get an extension after starting 8-30 against conference opponents in his career.
Just a one year extension on a 6 year contract with 4 years left I suspect. Some would not call that much of an extension. But he could be the hardest working coach we have had in a long time and the players seem to love playing for him. (Compare that to Memphis) Just his luck of the draw to be hired the year the portal and NIL crippled the recruiting and retention efforts of teams like Tulsa.

Just a one year extension on a 6 year contract with 4 years left I suspect. Some would not call that much of an extension. But he could be the hardest working coach we have had in a long time and the players seem to love playing for him. (Compare that to Memphis) Just his luck of the draw to be hired the year the portal and NIL crippled the recruiting and retention efforts of teams like Tulsa.
I'm not sure Konkol will ever be more than a good coach but in every other way he's a perfect fit. After we gave Wojick a 20 year extension based on nothing, I guess I have low standards for extensions. I'd rather extend a so so coach who's a good guy and spreads fun and happiness than a so so coach who's a d bag.

And no, I will never get over the Wojick extension, no matter how long I live.

He is one of 250 other non-blue blood coaches dealing with the same issues.

Last season North Texas, FAU, Charlotte, UAB, South Florida all saw moderate success in spite of it… Tulsa could have as well. We need fewer excuses and more results. These were the same kinds of excuses that kept Haith around too long and sunk us into the hole we’re in.

Last edited:
He is one of 250 other non-blue blood coaches dealing with the same issues.

Last season North Texas, FAU, Charlotte, UAB, South Florida all saw moderate success in spite of it… Tulsa could have as well. We need fewer excuses and more results. These were the same kinds of excuses that kept Haith around too long and sunk us into the hole we’re in.
Not any of those teams lost the National Freshman of the year over a $700K NIL deal. You are right in that we need to be competitive NIL-wise with those programs. Haith never had to worry about the portal or NIL. He was always a step ahead of every problem.

Aston - https://www.hurricaneimpact.org/ This is the best way to help achieve your stated goals.

Last edited:
Not any of those teams lost the National Freshman of the year over a $700K NIL deal. You are right in that we need to be competitive NIL-wise with those programs. Haith never had to worry about the portal or NIL. He was always a step ahead of every problem.

Aston - https://www.hurricaneimpact.org/ This is the best way to help achieve your stated goals.
$700K....Holy Sh!t! Had no idea that was the going rate. Makes one question if it's worth it, because I certainly don't see how a roster full of players receiving that type of money would be sustainable. There's got to be a tipping considering that Universities primary function is to provide educational opportunities for degree seeking students rather than acting as a farm system for professional leagues and content provider for the networks.

He has made it clear that he does not and will not donate to TU in any way, shape, or form.

This is dumb.

What's important is that none of those teams had a National Freshman of the year in the first place and they all did better than we did. It's almost like you don't have to have a team full of extraordinary talent to be better than .500. You just need some decent pieces and a good coach.

As to your link... why would I donate so a coach can get more talent when he's proven he can't effectively utilize the talent he already had (such as a generationally transcendent freshman)? You can raise the biggest G5 NIL fund tomorrow and it won't make much of a difference if you have a subpar coach. To quote Warren Buffet, "We will not knowingly throw good money after bad"

For reference, this is the current state of the NIL fund that Memphis used to steal our player:
4wbvvprbdi491.jpg

Last edited:
He has made it clear that he does not and will not donate to TU in any way, shape, or form.
Except as a bandwagon fan years later, when we have achieved Gonzaga success, when he makes more money. So essentially yaah, that's a no.

This is kinda dumb.

What's important is that none of those teams had a National Freshman of the year in the first place and they all did better than we did. It's almost like you don't have to have a team full of extraordinary talent to be better than .500. You just need some decent pieces and a good coach.
Talent comes the next year, when they have the promise of playing with last year's freshman of the year. And when the good freshman we had besides him, take the normal Sophomore leap(Reed, Archie, and Barnes) You used to build a team... Not so much with Nil and immediate transfer for everyone. And you don't keep almost everyone from a 5 win team and have a decent team. The restart started in year 2. What a jackass u always are. I'm ready to see what we can do this year, instead of constantly being down on the team before they've even played an exhibition team. He delivered on what everyone with realistic expectations hoped for. Let's see if he can give us 17-22 wins this season.(realistic expectations)

Coincidentally, the period where I will feel comfortable donating will probably coincide with this (now extended) contract lapsing for more reasons than one.

Talent comes the next year, when they have the promise of playing with last year's freshman of the year. And when the good freshman we had besides him, take the normal Sophomore leap(Reed, Archie, and Barnes) You used to build a team... Not so much with Nil and immediate transfer for everyone. And you don't keep almost everyone from a 5 win team and have a decent team. The restart started in year 2. What a jackass u always are. I'm ready to see what we can do this year, instead of constantly being down on the team before they've even played an exhibition team. He delivered on what everyone with realistic expectations hoped for. Let's see if he can give us 17-22 wins this season.(realistic expectations)
That's a very 2005 way of building a program.

Unless you have money to keep them around. God forbid we turn into a Penny Memphis with a new team every year.

The talking heads on this board remind me of the scouts in this scene: Unwilling to come to terms with the realities of the situation at hand.

Hard to believe you keep criticizing the coach and team constantly but will not give one penny to support them. You have got the chicken and the egg backwards.

Hard to believe you keep criticizing the coach and team constantly but will not give one penny to support them. You have got the chicken and the egg backwards.
He wants us to be Gonzaga before he gives a dime.(and even then he probably wouldn't) He thinks he's Brad Pitt instead of an arm chair qb.

LMAO. GET IT THROUGH YOUR HEAD.... MONEY IS NOT THE PROBLEM RIGHT NOW!

He got transfers from TCU, St. Johns, Michigan, and his own formerly elite player from La Tech.... and he managed to go a whopping 16 and 15, losing 11 games in a conference that includes perennial basketball "powerhouses" such as UTSA and East Carolina. (Both of whom have essentially $0 NIL for basketball but he managed to lose to them 3 times). I'm also fairly sure we dropped a bag on the kid who was a bust from Tennessee which was a bad decision.

Doug Wojcik's worst season was better than what we saw last year.

If you enjoy seeing your hard earned dollars being set ablaze in front of your eyes, be my guest.

Last edited:
LMAO. GET IT THROUGH YOUR HEAD.... MONEY IS NOT THE PROBLEM RIGHT NOW!

He got transfers from TCU, St. Johns, Michigan, and his own formerly elite player from La Tech.... and he managed to go a whopping 16 and 15, losing 11 games in a conference that includes perennial basketball "powerhouses" such as UTSA and East Carolina. (Both of whom have essentially $0 NIL for basketball but he managed to lose to them 3 times). I'm also fairly sure we dropped a bag on the kid who was a bust from Tennessee which was a bad decision.

Doug Wojcik's worst season was better than what we saw last year.

If you enjoy seeing your hard earned dollars being set ablaze in front of your eyes, be my guest.

You do realize that bitching on a message board does exactly jack for any program, right?

If you’re not going to donate because you can’t afford it, that’s cool. I’ve been there.

If you’re not donating because you don’t like the admins choices. I understand.

You should also understand that admin choices are typically dictated by funding.

Every dollar matters.

You do realize that bitching on a message board does exactly jack for any program, right?

If you’re not going to donate because you can’t afford it, that’s cool. I’ve been there.

If you’re not donating because you don’t like the admins choices. I understand.

You should also understand that admin choices are typically dictated by funding.

Every dollar matters.
Defending the admin's misguided decisions on a message board isn't constructive either.

If enough people around the program get fed up with what's happening, we might see some change... but people following mindlessly, like lemmings, gives the admin positive reinforcement to keep making bad decisions.

Reactions: t-townpod

Us, to our best player...

I know someday you'll have a beautiful life
I know you'll be a star in somebody else's sky
But why, why, why can't it be
Oh, can't it be mine?

Defending the admin's misguided decisions on a message board isn't constructive either.

If enough people around the program get fed up with what's happening, we might see some change... but people following mindlessly, like lemmings, gives the admin positive reinforcement to keep making bad decisions.
I thought he was a curious hire since he'd never made it to the tournament and had never been the best coach in a lower conference. Since he's been here, we've seen why I assume he was hired. He's literally pretty much the perfect coach, except for on court performance. He's a team player, funny and personable, willing to go out of his way for the university. A great member of the university community. But his coaching is lacking. Smart organizations though don't just fire or throw away employees with a lot of potential. They invest in them, try to build them up. Give them a high performing mentor, a coach, pay for classes, etc. I think it makes perfect sense for us to invest in Konkol to try to up skill him given what great upside he has elsewhere. He could become the kind of coach that we don't have the ability to hire. I'm fine giving that a shot.

Reactions: caneks
I thought he was a curious hire since he'd never made it to the tournament and had never been the best coach in a lower conference. Since he's been here, we've seen why I assume he was hired. He's literally pretty much the perfect coach, except for on court performance. He's a team player, funny and personable, willing to go out of his way for the university. A great member of the university community. But his coaching is lacking. Smart organizations though don't just fire or throw away employees with a lot of potential. They invest in them, try to build them up. Give them a high performing mentor, a coach, pay for classes, etc. I think it makes perfect sense for us to invest in Konkol to try to up skill him given what great upside he has elsewhere. He could become the kind of coach that we don't have the ability to hire. I'm fine giving that a shot.
Good post. One adddendum.
RUSTON – After leading Louisiana Tech to 20 victories and a Conference USA West Division title, Bulldog Basketball head coach Eric Konkol was voted as the C-USA Gene Bartow Coach of the Year.

LA Tech was picked to finish seventh in the C-USA preseason poll after losing four starters off the 2019-20 team that produced a 22-win season and a second-place finish in the league.

Reactions: chito_and_leon
Good post. One adddendum.
RUSTON – After leading Louisiana Tech to 20 victories and a Conference USA West Division title, Bulldog Basketball head coach Eric Konkol was voted as the C-USA Gene Bartow Coach of the Year.

LA Tech was picked to finish seventh in the C-USA preseason poll after losing four starters off the 2019-20 team that produced a 22-win season and a second-place finish in the league.
I would like to us finish in the top 4/5 of the conference, make it to the championship game and make the NCAA’s.
If we make it to the NIT instead, I would like to see us make it at least to the quarter finals.

Factually incorrect. Wojcik’s worst season was 05-06 when we went 11-17.
I'd rather lose with Konkol than win with Wojick. He thought he was God's gift even without doing anything special. Can you imagine how insufferable he would have been if he actually could coach? Of course he would have left at the first opportunity but still.

Reactions: Weatherdemon
I'd rather lose with Konkol than win with Wojick. He thought he was God's gift even without doing anything special. Can you imagine how insufferable he would have been if he actually could coach? Of course he would have left at the first opportunity but still.
Wojcik was a grade A douche. I can confirm from personal experience.

He was a douche. But the only reason I know either of their names is because I care about the team winning. I’ll take W’s from a douche any day.

Wilson (football) is an asshole and he doesn’t win which is worse

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT