ADVERTISEMENT

Kevin Wilson

Can someone explain how KW is handling his staff? Since he took Farmer to the recruiting dinner, does that mean he is staying on as O-line coach? Is there a chance he will wait until tOSU season is over to make staff changes? The whole thing seems awkward to me and I am hoping he has significant turnover in the coaching staff.

Reactions: TU Pilot
I just posted a thread about local recruits of interest. Feel free to add, obviously!

I've heard it on 105.3, 100.9, and I believe 99.5, It's a commercial that is being ran. They don't say "We don't play basketball". They say "Finally, basketball is back in Tulsa" which basically is saying without OU coming to play, there isn't basketball to watch here. Totally dismissing TU and ORU.
I was at the game with my son and his family and I assure you that it was essentially an Arkansas home game, so the OU argument is out. They were saying Razorback Basketball was back in Tulsa. Not a diss just marketing a product for financial gain.

There’s a lot of locals kids good enough to play at TU. I want TU to offer Tempest from union bad. Just look at some of the 6A schools. There’s D1 talent all over that’s not going to OU/OSU.
#9 from Norman could be a good one as well.

#9 from Norman could be a good one as well.
Each of the 6A-1 schools have at least 1-2 kids who could play FBS football and at TU. The Norman North QB is a player too but had ZERO help, but I think he'd be more of a slot WR or RB.

Each of the 6A-1 schools have at least 1-2 kids who could play FBS football and at TU. The Norman North QB is a player too but had ZERO help, but I think he'd be more of a slot WR or RB.
#2? Agreed. Seeing both in person and listening to coaches on the sideline him, #9, and #22 all have FBS talent.

Hopefully once Kevin Wilson wraps things up at Ohio state, there will be more social media presence from him (whether it’s actually him or our social media team - either way is fine). I’d like to see us pumping him up a little more…

And I’m also getting really tired of all these TU accounts/fans constantly retweeting Montgomery crap from auburn. Ok we get it - you wished the guy well, fine. But some of these folks on Twitter need to get a grip and decide if they love TU or if they love Montgomery… because no one wants to continue to see retweets and posts about hOw GrEaT aUbUrNs OfFeNsE wIlL bE /rant

I am more concerned about his record as a HC. Some coaches are just born to be coordinators.
I can’t believe I am saying this but Original has a point to an extent. The record isn’t that great but it was at a Big 10 school and it did get better but not over 500 if I remember correctly

Too long IMO unless there are performance requirements.

3 is all I would give anyone esp. if he is getting into the 2 million zone.
No this is a correct deal. You can’t fully evaluate a coach until you have seen what his recruiting classes have done. Generally in year 3 or 4. 5 years is enough time to be a hero or a zero

Reactions: TU_BLA
And I’m also getting really tired of all these TU accounts/fans constantly retweeting Montgomery crap from auburn. Ok we get it - you wished the guy well, fine. But some of these folks on Twitter need to get a grip and decide if they love TU or if they love Montgomery… because no one wants to continue to see retweets and posts about hOw GrEaT aUbUrNs OfFeNsE wIlL bE /rant

Those are not TU fans - they’re Monty fans. There’s a big difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: TU1NNJ
I swear the culture needs to change on this board. Not everything is extreme left or extreme right. It's starting to feel like politics over here. Either you are 100% behind this hire or you are not a true hurricane fan!! Or this is the worst hire in the history of TU sports and if you don't think so then you are not a true Hurricane fan..... Ugh it's old!! People can have differing opinions! Do I think this is a home run hire? No... Do I think this is the worst hire ever? Absolutely not. I do understand why people are upset if you just look at records. However, they also need to take into account it's at Indiana. Look at their records for the last 10 coaches. He did better than most of them. Indiana does not invest like they should especially with the money they have. They are not investing in probably the toughest conference, where the other schools are investing. Yet he still put up a .500+ record a couple times there. His offenses have always been great. Can he do better in a conference where we are at least willing to compete with our peers!? I think he will. I just don't know if he has what it takes. We will see and I'm going to give him a chance.

Stop with this my way or the highway culture on this board. It's annoying. Your word isn't gold. Your opinion isn't golden.
I’m just glad Monty is gone. I have stated my position is in the middle. I will have an opinion after I see the team he puts on the field

No this is a correct deal. You can’t fully evaluate a coach until you have seen what his recruiting classes have done. Generally in year 3 or 4. 5 years is enough time to be a hero or a zero
I think the issue with Monty is he took someone else's players in year 2 and won 10 games and about a total of 4 yds from being 12-1 and playing for the AAC championship. But almost the entirety of the starting offense and defense were players recruited by the previous coach. That's not necessarily a knock on Monty...he got them to a level where they really performed at a high level. The more concerning issue was not being able to find a QB he could trust for another 4 years and the offense becoming extremely stagnant and vanilla. And I think we've hit it ad nauseam that Monty did find really good players to come here and that he and his staff were able to develop those players. Monty wasn't cut out to be the HC and OC and ST Coord all in one.

Wilson should get a minimum of 4 years here to prove what he can do. TU SHOULD NOT over react to any immediate success in year 1 or 2 with a lifetime contract like they did with Monty after that 2nd year. You want to extend 1 year for a good season, that's fine. If after year 4 he's over .500 and gone to 3-4 bowl games, then go ahead and give him an additional 5 years or so. There's enough of a body of work to show he's a good football coach. Hell, maybe the new contract for football HCs here should be "Go to a bowl game, you're automatically extended 1 yr at a 10% increase in base salary but the buyout also increases 10% should you leave before the conclusion of the contract term".

I think the issue with Monty is he took someone else's players in year 2 and won 10 games and about a total of 4 yds from being 12-1 and playing for the AAC championship. But almost the entirety of the starting offense and defense were players recruited by the previous coach. That's not necessarily a knock on Monty...he got them to a level where they really performed at a high level. The more concerning issue was not being able to find a QB he could trust for another 4 years and the offense becoming extremely stagnant and vanilla. And I think we've hit it ad nauseam that Monty did find really good players to come here and that he and his staff were able to develop those players. Monty wasn't cut out to be the HC and OC and ST Coord all in one.

Wilson should get a minimum of 4 years here to prove what he can do. TU SHOULD NOT over react to any immediate success in year 1 or 2 with a lifetime contract like they did with Monty after that 2nd year. You want to extend 1 year for a good season, that's fine. If after year 4 he's over .500 and gone to 3-4 bowl games, then go ahead and give him an additional 5 years or so. There's enough of a body of work to show he's a good football coach. Hell, maybe the new contract for football HCs here should be "Go to a bowl game, you're automatically extended 1 yr at a 10% increase in base salary but the buyout also increases 10% should you leave before the conclusion of the contract term".
I'm just ready for all the dumbass Montgomery worshippers to overreact to any sort of negativity in year one.

Amazing that Montgomery worshippers are even a thing.

Again, the local media and weirdos on twitter saying how great it is he has a job now astound me.

I'm just ready for all the dumbass Montgomery worshippers to overreact to any sort of negativity in year one.

Amazing that Montgomery worshippers are even a thing.

Again, the local media and weirdos on twitter saying how great it is he has a job now astound me.
If we don’t have an immediate 8+ win season, you know all those morons are gonna be like: sHoUlDa kEpT MoNtGoMeRy tU mAdE a HuGe MiStAKe 🙄

And then local media douchers will publish/tweet some backhanded bs about TU from a couple of angles.

If we don’t have an immediate 8+ win season, you know all those morons are gonna be like: sHoUlDa kEpT MoNtGoMeRy tU mAdE a HuGe MiStAKe 🙄

And then local media douchers will publish/tweet some backhanded bs about TU from a couple of angles.
I expect a 7-8 win season given the quality of our opponents in conference next year.

However, I understand with a new coach, the NIL, and portal can throw a wrench into those expectations. I also understand it's the guys first year and there's going to be mistakes that probably cost us games, but even if he completely nosedives and fails to make adjustments in the year after next, never will I say that we should have kept Montgomery. It was far beyond a time for change and we needed to take a chance on someone new. It may or may not work out, but no matter what Montgomery needed to go because the program has regressed and become stagnant.

I understand people being skeptical of Wilson, I am a little too with him staying with an Ohio State through the playoffs, especially with no staff announcements yet. That being said, there are others who say it's not a problem and we appear to be doing "okay" (if not a little better) when it comes to retaining a few key players and even potentially gaining some really good ones (Presley). So, time will tell and all we can do is wait and give the guy a chance. Montgomery had 8 chances and came up short.

The best course of action is to take issue with the media folks who are fawning over Montgomery driving the randos to say that stuff. Just be respectful and represent the program well while gently pushing that Wilson is the guy and pushing people to attend games and support the University.

Sorry for the disjointed rant-ish post. Lots of lurking and thinking while holding/watching three kids and not wanting to type with one hand.

Edit: forgot to mention the other teams we play can also throw a wrench into those expectations too. "The enemy gets a vote too" comes to mind.

I expect a 7-8 win season given the quality of our opponents in conference next year.

However, I understand with a new coach, the NIL, and portal can throw a wrench into those expectations. I also understand it's the guys first year and there's going to be mistakes that probably cost us games, but even if he completely nosedives and fails to make adjustments in the year after next, never will I say that we should have kept Montgomery. It was far beyond a time for change and we needed to take a chance on someone new. It may or may not work out, but no matter what Montgomery needed to go because the program has regressed and become stagnant.

I understand people being skeptical of Wilson, I am a little too with him staying with an Ohio State through the playoffs, especially with no staff announcements yet. That being said, there are others who say it's not a problem and we appear to be doing "okay" (if not a little better) when it comes to retaining a few key players and even potentially gaining some really good ones (Presley). So, time will tell and all we can do is wait and give the guy a chance. Montgomery had 8 chances and came up short.

The best course of action is to take issue with the media folks who are fawning over Montgomery driving the randos to say that stuff. Just be respectful and represent the program well while gently pushing that Wilson is the guy and pushing people to attend games and support the University.

Sorry for the disjointed rant-ish post. Lots of lurking and thinking while holding/watching three kids and not wanting to type with one hand.

Edit: forgot to mention the other teams we play can also throw a wrench into those expectations too. "The enemy gets a vote too" comes to mind.
For sure - I’m just being a grinch about it haha

I can’t believe I am saying this but Original has a point to an extent. The record isn’t that great but it was at a Big 10 school and it did get better but not over 500 if I remember correctly
It is definitely the Kansas of the Big 10 without the extreme highs once ever couple decades or the potential for sustained success. The fact that it was trending upward under Wilson or any coach is not the norm.

We are hiring a FB coach, not a good will ambassador! Monty was well paid, and his kids had opportunities.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT