ADVERTISEMENT

Keanu Hill

ctt8410

I.T.S. Head Coach
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2003
Reactions: Gold*
It was a nice piece by Guerin. He seems to be one of the few journalists on staff in the sports dept.

Reactions: ctt8410
Guerin is a good writer, period. He’s written on other topics than sports.

Reactions: Gold*
This shouldn’t be in the crossfire. This is a discussion that needs to be had on the main boards.

Yet, every major sports league has allowed Trump to dictate their narrative ever since Kaepernick. League retribution against players. My guess is when sports return and fans return, it will be different. And the players will tell the leagues to f*ck themselves. The number of teams, leagues, owners, and players who have released statements over George Floyd and supporting systemic change has been immense. White, Black, Asian, Hispanic, international, U.S., the support has come from all over. But it's easy to talk. As Emig basically said, it doesn't matter if you talk, are you ready to and willing to walk the walk. What happens when play resumes? Do players, leagues, coaches etc., many making a ton of $$$ off of Black players and fans, actually support that cause with more than a statement released via Twitter. Will Jerry Jones do more than just walk in locked arm with his players ONE TIME to show unity? Will Tulsa athletics (who has already made statements about this along with many of the coaches) support student athletes whatever peaceful action they might take to continue to bring attention to the problem in spite of potentially pissing off a few high $$$ donors who just don't get it? Hell, many of us have said we support change in this way. Are we willing to publicly show that support for the players when we're in the stands?

Reactions: Bendman
For me taking a knee has always been a show of respect. It was not like raising a black power fist on an Olympic podium, but Trump, the NFL and and a lot of fans and players acted like it was. It seems like a quiet, gentile way to call attention to an issue.

Reactions: TU 1978
I want to see Goodell apologize personally to Kapernick. I wasn’t really a fan of Kap’s, but I do think he was treated unfairly, and for the NFL to apologize for being wrong without addressing what they did to the most prominent player who was kneeling to raise awareness on this important issue.

Reactions: TU_BLA
I will never take a knee during the National Anthem in protest.

I watch athletics to escape all the political bs.

If that were true, why are you defending all of the saluting, waving football field sized flags, or singing the national anthem prior to the event. Seems like you like the political bs just fine when it agrees with your political disposition. If they didn’t (Historically) sing the national anthem prior to the games, no one would really care anymore than if they sang it before a teeball game.

I didn’t hear anyone complaining about all of the political BS when U2 memorialized 9/11 at the Super Bowl. I didn’t hear them whine when they had Air Force fly overs or military guests of honor at half time. Sports and politics have gone hand in hand for more than a century now. Just ask Jackie Robinson.

Reactions: TU 1978 and TU_BLA

Or maybe you can empathize with these young athletes just once or twice to understand what their life is/was like. We all love Brennan Marion and what he did for TU but when did we show support outside of when he scored a TD for TU? He experienced homelessness as a teen, he was homeless in JUCO as well. I'm sure there have been an instance or two where police have fixated on him for being a young black male.

We can (and should) do more than just say "I understand and I support you". When an athlete takes a knee this Fall (and it will happen across all sports at all levels), ask why and try to understand the circumstances a little more than just taking the easy way out and saying they are being unPatriotic.

Reactions: TU 1978
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT