ADVERTISEMENT

Kansas

TU_BLA

I.T.S. Legend
Gold Member
Mar 9, 2012
Tulsa, OK
Kansas just hired the A&M WRs coach to be the next head coach. Yesterday Chadwick called the KU job the one where coordinators go to kill their careers. Can't even get a coordinator this go around or even a retread. Heck, did Houston Nutt clamor for that job.

At least TU has attracted some quality higher profile coordinators to the opening...Kansas goes after a WR from coach from A&M...do you think they even asked Spavital if he was interested and he just laughed?

He's not a great pick but not awful...it is Kansas. Best recruiter on the Aggie staff. Former OC. Has coached at KU. They didn't interview Spavital. Thought 29 was too young. Any Big12 job not located in Texas or Oklahoma is a very tough gig.

Originally posted by TU_BLA:
Kansas just hired the A&M WRs coach to be the next head coach. Yesterday Chadwick called the KU job the one where coordinators go to kill their careers. Can't even get a coordinator this go around or even a retread. Heck, did Houston Nutt clamor for that job.

At least TU has attracted some quality higher profile coordinators to the opening...Kansas goes after a WR from coach from A&M...do you think they even asked Spavital if he was interested and he just laughed?
I get that the Big XII jobs are tough and this guy probably has some great qualities that KU really wanted. I just thought it was ironic that KU went the position coach route only a day after Chadwick's rant about how the KU job was not as good of a job as TU to counter Pat Jones' stupidity and actually had some numbers and proof behind it. It is sort of a coaching graveyard. KState seems it will be that way too when Snyder leaves. Not sure what he is able to do there that the 2 guys in b/t Snyder's stints couldn't figure out.

Im blown away by the hires by Nebraska and Kansas. All this money and they pick these guys. not saying they wont be successful, but seems that there are several other better candidates. Blows my mind.

Makes me glad that the names mentioned (minus Nutt) for the TU job have been pretty good sounding hires. If we do hire a good FB coach, we may have to worry more about keeping our AD

Our AD will be gone shortly regardless. One he's done a nice job and this is a stepping stone, but Upham is about to exit stage left as well.

I think this is exactly the kind of hire Kansas needs. Everyone know that to be successful at Kansas, a coach has to be pretty special. But no coach that's established as a HC or coordinator and special will go to Kansas. So they can go with pretty much guaranteed mediocrity or worse with what they'd be able to get as a HC or coordinator hire, or they can have some chance of success by taking someone who's not established but might end up being special. It's like buying a lottery ticket instead of flushing your dollar down the toilet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT