ADVERTISEMENT

K-State at TCU

TU1NNJ

I.T.S. Head Coach
Gold Member
Sep 23, 2004
Anyone remember the parody song from the 70’s or early 80’s “Mommas don’t let your babies grow up to wear purple”? In those days these two teams and Northwestern were 3 of the worst teams year after year and all wore purple.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Anyone remember the parody song from the 70’s or early 80’s “Mommas don’t let your babies grow up to wear purple”? In those days these two teams and Northwestern were 3 of the worst teams year after year and all wore purple.
Gary Barnett at Northwestern claimed early in his coaching tenure to have some psychology study on athletic performance that supported the idea that some colors lose more than others. He used it to justify with the regents the switch to black jerseys and metallic deep purple almost black helmets. The old folks on the board weren’t amused. It was very unique at the time and eye catching. It helped recruiting and that helped them win. I’m not sure the effect on the brain.

Last edited:
I remember that. So is it the color, or the history? If OU, Alabama and Ohio State all wore purple, would red be considered a losing color?

Reactions: HuffyCane
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT