ADVERTISEMENT

Just Remember

TUMe

I.T.S. Legend
Dec 3, 2003
When Wojcik left we said we didn't expect greatness but we would like to go to the post season most years.

DONE THAT THREE OUT OF FOUR YEARS.

We would like to go to the Big Dance regularly.

DONE THAT TWO OUT OF FOUR YEARS.

And we have done that in a tougher conference. Now, we can build on that. Move on to higher goals. But the first four years we have definitely shown some great progress. Now recruit and build a new team. Next goal Sweet 16 or beyond.

We've been in postseason on four years of you count Danny's try to CBI. We lost to someone bad. I forget the rest. The only times we haven't been in a postseason in last 10 years are Wojcik's penultimate and last seasons.

The future is bright too. We'll have some growing pains next year, but I believe this incoming class will be special and lead us to multiple NCAA tournaments.

Have been pleased with Haith. I think some are hesitant to have "faith in Haith" because of the issues at Missouri/Miami. Hopefully that will pass with no repercussions to our program because I think the guy can really coach. His halftime adjustments are great, tonight only proved that. And I think this incoming class is as talented as I can remember.

Really looking forward to Battle, Korita, and Igbanu. As well at Etou and Edogi. Then priority #1 will be securing Elijah Landrum...dude is a beast.

Don't forget Atson and Magnay. Both play with nastiness that we haven't had in a TU uniform in a very long time.

Don't forget Henderson and Artison.......and probably one more to come.

Don't forget Battle. He's likely to be the overlooked "Shaq" of this incoming class. If you can play the game and shoot the ball, you can do it at any level. The rim is still ten feet high, the ball is the same size, the court is the same length and width. The only adjustment for kids out of HS is usually a shot clock and adjusting to the speed. Battle was obviously in a class by himself in South Carolina. Remember Rotnei Clark only played at a 3A school here and then went to Arkansas/Butler and played at a very high level. Keiton Page played at a 2A school and played at a high level at OKState.

Looking forward to next year with lots of hope.

Wojcik's attempt to destroy the Tulsa Basketball program failed.

Good times ahead.

GO TU!!!!!

Reactions: Tulsafanzz
Was a double whammy sandwich of Wojcik and Phillips w/ a very thinly shaved piece of buzzard meat(that had the taste of Jordan's shoe leather) in between.

Reactions: TU Sepp
The future is bright too. We'll have some growing pains next year, but I believe this incoming class will be special and lead us to multiple NCAA tournaments.

Have been pleased with Haith. I think some are hesitant to have "faith in Haith" because of the issues at Missouri/Miami. Hopefully that will pass with no repercussions to our program because I think the guy can really coach. His halftime adjustments are great, tonight only proved that. And I think this incoming class is as talented as I can remember.

Really looking forward to Battle, Korita, and Igbanu. As well at Etou and Edogi. Then priority #1 will be securing Elijah Landrum...dude is a beast.
Good thoughts on Haith, have to agree. One thing to keep in mind about Haith is where he previously coached. The culture of dirtiness has existed at those schools for decades, long before Haith arrived. The U. has a long history of jock sniffers who like to buy influence, and Mizzou has long been plagued by excessive Booster involvement, dating back to Norm Stewart and Quinn Snyder's days. The culture at TU is completely different, to my knowledge neither faction has ever caused problems for TU athletics. With that in mind, I feel good about Haith repairing his image at TU and doing things the right way. I believe he was found to not have involvement with the issue at Mizzou, and the suspension he served while coaching Mizzou for what happened at Miami was a slap on wrist. The problems at Miami went much, much deeper than his basketball program.
TX

We have 4 signed and 2 commits? How many more can we sign?
We have four signed and 3 commits:

Signed (4):)
Korita-Fr.--Shooting guard/SmFwd***

Committed-Not signed (3) :rolleyes:(prayerful pose)

Assuming the three commits sign::
This leaves one scholarship open....The coaching staff will prob. try to fill this
scholarship with a Sr. graduate transfer big man....This would guarantee us
two scholarship openings for 2017 (Birt being the only sr. on 2017 roster at
this time)......If unsuccessful at a grad. transfer, they may go for a shooting
guard/Sm fwd scorer....

Last edited:
What senior grad bigs are out there this year that we have a shot at?

Good thoughts on Haith, have to agree. One thing to keep in mind about Haith is where he previously coached. The culture of dirtiness has existed at those schools for decades, long before Haith arrived. The U. has a long history of jock sniffers who like to buy influence, and Mizzou has long been plagued by excessive Booster involvement, dating back to Norm Stewart and Quinn Snyder's days. The culture at TU is completely different, to my knowledge neither faction has ever caused problems for TU athletics. With that in mind, I feel good about Haith repairing his image at TU and doing things the right way. I believe he was found to not have involvement with the issue at Mizzou, and the suspension he served while coaching Mizzou for what happened at Miami was a slap on wrist. The problems at Miami went much, much deeper than his basketball program.
TX
Tex, I am thinking this is one of the reasons why Haith wanted out of Mizzou along with having an AD and a fan base who did not support you. Mike Anderson's opportunity to leave and go to Arkansas was the same thing except he left to go to a place where he was a revered asst. for a long time making it easier to hide his unhappiness in Columbia. I think Haith wanted to just get away from a situation that seemed to be headed the same way as Miami, just not as overt.

As for Miami, Nevin Shapiro is a bad dude whose money is in the pockets of a lot of people surrounding the U. Sort of like the Sopranos buying a college athletic program and expecting certain "things" in return.

IMO Haith has already proven his ability to coach. We'll see how the recruiting part works for him although in paper, next year's class looks to be the best overall group we've had come in since Self brought in the 99-2000 guys (Swanson, Reed, Davis, Hooper, Ingram).

The following link is a full game from Martins Igbanu last year in February of 2015. Didn't have a great game but looks very impressive. Below are approximate times from his scoring plays, although I could have missed some - #23 in black:

3:22, 10:15, 22:25 (free throws), 24:58, 44:45, and 57:20.

This leaves one scholarship open....The coaching staff will prob. try to fill this
scholarship with a Sr. graduate transfer big man....This would guarantee us
two scholarship openings for 2017 (Birt being the only sr. on 2017 roster at
this time)......If unsuccessful at a grad. transfer, they may go for a shooting
guard/Sm fwd scorer....[/QUOTE]

We've got 5 guys over 6'8, including Magnay at 6'10. Given Haith likes running 4 out and 1 in, I feel like we're pretty set on the frontline. I think Etou, Edogi, Igbanu, Artison, and Magnay will be an improvement over Smith, Swannegan, and Wright.

I also think we've got plenty of scorers coming in...could use a lockdown defender. Either way it'll be interesting to see what the staff does with the remaining scholarship. SG/SF scorer, lockdown athletic defender, or another big.

I'm surprised by the venom from the national media on Haith. Seems Brown, Coach Cal and Petino deserve much more of that kind of criticism.

Go TU!!!!

Probably nobody cares but just for what it's worth rumor from Stillwater. Apparently Oklahoma State's AD and Biggs were seen at restaurant on a FaceTime conference call with SF Austin coach. Deal may be close.

Go TU!!!!

Probably nobody cares but just for what it's worth rumor from Stillwater. Apparently Oklahoma State's AD and Biggs were seen at restaurant on a FaceTime conference call with SF Austin coach. Deal may be close.

Go TU!!!!

Sounds more realistic than Jamie Dixon, Greg Marshall, Bill Self and some of the other speculated names.

Dougie Gottleib!!!!!111

I saw a story where Holder said his wife wants Doug. He told her he had NO coaching experience and she said neither did Steve Kerr. We'll see who wears the pants in that family. A number of big OSU boosters would like to see Gottleib hired but I can't see it happening.

Go TU!!!!
I can't imagine Holder would be talking to a coach who is still coaching his team in the NCAA tournament. Someone from Stoolwater who is not a fan of hiring Gottlieb is starting a rumor. OKState knows all about tampering with guys under contract.

When Eddie turned 80, he spent most of the interview pimping for Doogie Gottlieb!!!

Doug played for Eddie and he has always been loyal to his former players. That said....Eddie knows Doug isn't under consideration. Underwood has been the name I've been hearing since the first of the week.

I just remembered the last coach Eddie pimped for when he retired. I don't think that worked out to well for the aggies.

What's the world coming to, TU hires its new coach from the SEC and OSU hires its new coach from the Southland?

Great observation regarding the public perception of Haith. He is arguably the most hated D1 college basketball coach on Earth. It's unfortunate...TU fans aren't used to this! I hope his performance at TU slowly "turns the tide"...

Pretty simple imo. The talking heads won't go after Brown or Cal because they knew it's likely they will be required to interview and interact with them as part of their job. Haith has won one tourney game in twelve years. They don't have those concerns regarding him. We will see a change in treatment if he starts winning NCAA games.

I don't understand how Haith could generate that much ire. Calipari ended up causing two programs to vacate final four seasons, Eddie Suttons sins at Kentucky were egregious and public, I can't count the violations trailing behind the man currently residing in Dallas...Haith is a choir boy by comparison.

I don't understand how Haith could generate that much ire. Calipari ended up causing two programs to vacate final four seasons, Eddie Suttons sins at Kentucky were egregious and public, I can't count the violations trailing behind the man currently residing in Dallas...Haith is a choir boy by comparison.

Haters like to hate, even on our board. Most of these haters don't even know the facts surrounding Haith, especially at Mizzou. Most are so ignorant that I'm just ignoring them. All they seem to care about is tearing down his character and putting down our program and players, and recruits, although with all the accolades even the questioning of our recruit's abilities has seemed to have subsided.

Given all the turmoil at Mizzou the last couple of years, you have to wonder if the culture there just breeds some irrational behavior. They have some great fans. And some that remind me of Louisville and Fresno fans.

University of Missouri is the worst place in the world. I think that is an indisputable fact. However, they were getting worse each year under Haith and, with the team he was going to have in 2015, he was almost certainly only a season away from getting fired. He made a great decision to leave. He did prove at Missouri that he could win with good personnel that someone else acquired. He did not show he could acquire the necessary personnel. He proved the first part again this year. Now we just have hope that he can show the ability to do the second part. I think the early indications are good but it will probably be at least two more seasons before we know.

My hope is that the 2017 team has the athletes to play heads up man to man and mix in full and half court press and traps. This year we didn't have the bigs to match up man to man even though we had the guards. I was not impressed with our zone

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT