ADVERTISEMENT

Joshua Smith

Tulsa Productions

I.T.S. Redshirt Freshman
Gold Member
Jan 4, 2022
Hi everyone, this is my first post on the Tulsa rivals message board, but I just wanted to talk about 6’4 210 3🌟 WR Joshua Smith. It looks like it’s down to us and Texas Tech in his recruitment, and he’s be the 5th highest rated recruit of all time if we were to get him. Thoughts?

Reactions: TulsaFanFromStigler
Hi everyone, this is my first post on the Tulsa rivals message board, but I just wanted to talk about 6’4 210 3🌟 WR Joshua Smith. It looks like it’s down to us and Texas Tech in his recruitment, and he’s be the 5th highest rated recruit of all time if we were to get him. Thoughts?
You quoted rivals and used 247. I doubt they are that far off at 5.5 rivals ranking for him to be up there in the top 5. And those recruits were all considered flops in relation to their pre signing ranking anyway.(your top 4) As I recall, the only highly ranked recruit that met their preseason ranking at 5.7 and exceeded it was Demaris Johnson. If he is a Demaris, then I'll take him. I hope we get him regardless.

Reactions: drboobay
You quoted rivals and used 247. I doubt they are that far off at 5.5 rivals ranking for him to be up there in the top 5. And those recruits were all considered flops in relation to their pre signing ranking anyway.(your top 4) As I recall, the only highly ranked recruit that met their preseason ranking at 5.7 and exceeded it was Demaris Johnson. If he is a Demaris, then I'll take him. I hope we get him regardless.
Alright man lol

His rating is 0.8850 per 247, which in all time recruits is 5th all time, with Jacob Bower, Chad President, Broderic Jones, and Shavodrick Beaver in front of him.
Plenty to be excited about with this recruit if you watch his clips.

And we are glad you’re here. Keep posts like this one coming.

Now about those all time rankings. A couple of things. First of all, we are a G5 school and there’s probably a dozen guys through the years that were 5.6 or 5.7 recruits with P5 offers that if they took them, Rivals likely would have bumped them higher than the 4 guys you list. Of those 4, only Chad President played significant minutes as a starter and you’d likely get a consensus among fans that he was the worst QB to start games in multiple seasons at Tulsa in the last 50 years. Alum. Stellar human. 5 star leader. Not a FBS QB. As for the rest, most are guys that got rated after P5 offers were on the table and they fell to us in the numbers game. Do the math.

Derrick Hall
Milton Howell
Relus Chance
Jabe Burgess
Deya Mhiesen
Damahco Ousley

All these above and more never made it to campus or barely saw the field and were all 5.6 and rated higher than guys like Chris Chamberlain, Charles Clay, and Garrett Mills. Guys that were four season contributors, all conference players, who went on to the NFL who clearly had the speed and athleticism from day one to be rated 5.9 or better. BTW, Zaven Collins just called and if you want to print him up a T-Shirt with “5.4” on the front, he’ll take a size 3XL, but he wants “$8 Million Signing Bonus” printed on the back.

The highest rated/profile recruit we’ve had in the modern era is probably CJ Scott. A signing day offer over Tennessee and others, he was the consensus player of the year in Tennessee. He wasn’t rated by Rivals, iirc. But super human athletic ability. Lock down corner. Just write off his side of the field.

My pick would probably be Terrel Nemons. 5.7 on rivals. Chose Tulsa over Oklahoma and Texas. Probably had 20 other offers. Four year contributor, Alum, All conference. Solid human being and business owner now.

Others worth mentioning who were 5.7 and probably bigger recruits than Damaris Johnson, Clay, and others. Jake Alexander probably had 40 offers and if he had gone to Nebraska or Notre Dame, Rivals would have pumped him up. JeTerrian Douglass same story. How he didn’t end up at A&M we will never know. Far better than 5.7. And again, as far a recruiting hype/rating, way above Damaris. And Rowdy Frederick probably ought to be on this list too.

Back to this guy, we’ve been at our best when we’ve managed to get long lean wide outs on campus because we’ve got a QB who can get them the ball. Slick Shelley, Keyarris Garrett, Romby Bryant, Montiese Culton, Bryan Burnham, the list goes on and on. Guys that could drink 3 protein shakes a day and never gain a pound but fast with the strength and agility to separate and high point the ball.

Get this guy a 4 Star QB on campus and dudes like this one will follow. But from what this fan can see, he would be prolific at Tulsa. Feature WR.

Last edited:

Now about those all time rankings. A couple of things. First of all, we are a G5 school and there’s probably a dozen guys through the years that were 5.6 or 5.7 recruits with P5 offers that if they took them, Rivals likely would have bumped them higher than the 4 guys you list. Of those 4, only Chad President played significant minutes as a starter and you’d likely get a consensus among fans that he was the worst QB to start games in multiple seasons at Tulsa in the last 50 years. Alum. Stellar human. 5 star leader. Not a FBS QB. As for the rest, most are guys that got rated after P5 offers were on the table and they fell to us in the numbers game. Do the math.

Derrick Hall
Milton Howell
Relus Chance
Jabe Burgess
Deya Mhiesen
Damahco Ousley

All these above and more were all 5.6 and rated higher than guys like Chris Chamberlain, Charles Clay, and Garrett Mills. Guys that were four season contributors, all conference players, who went on to the NFL who clearly had the speed and athleticism from day one to be rated 5.9 or better. BTW, Zaven Collins just called and if you want to print him up a T-Shirt with “5.4” on the front, he’ll take a size 3XL, but he wants “$8 Million Signing Bonus” printed on the back.

The highest rated/profile recruit we’ve had in the modern era is probably CJ Scott. A signing day offer over Tennessee and others, he was the consensus player of the year in Tennessee. He wasn’t rated by Rivals, iirc. But super human athletic ability. Lock down corner. Just write off his side of the field.

My pick would probably be Terrel Nemons. 5.7 on rivals. Chose Tulsa over Oklahoma and Texas. Probably had 20 other offers. Four year contributor, Alum, All conference. Solid human being and business owner now.

Others worth mentioning who were 5.7 and probably bigger recruits than Damaris Johnson, Clay, and others. Jake Alexander probably had 40 offers and if he had gone to Nebraska or Notre Dame, Rivals would have pumped him up. JeTerrian Douglass same story. How he didn’t end up at A&M we will never know. Far better than 5.7. And again, as far a recruiting hype/rating, way above Damaris. And Rowdy Frederick probably ought to be on this list too.

Back to this guy, we’ve been at our best when we’ve managed to get long lean wide outs on campus because we’ve got a QB who can get them the ball. Slick Shelley, Keyarris Garrett, Romby Bryant, Montiese Culton, Bryan Burnham, the list goes on and on. Guys that could drink 3 protein shakes a day and never gain a pound but fast with the strength and agility to separate and high point the ball.

Get this guy a 4 Star QB on campus and dudes like this one will follow. But from what this fan can see, he would be prolific at Tulsa. Feature WR.
Well said👏🏼👏🏼

Reactions: HuffyCane
Derrick Hall
Milton Howell
Relus Chance
Jabe Burgess
Deya Mhiesen
Damahco Ousley

All these above and more never made it to campus or barely saw the field and were all 5.6

True except for Milton Howell. He was a good CB for us and an elite special teams player.

His rating is 0.8850 per 247, which in all time recruits is 5th all time, with Jacob Bower, Chad President, Broderic Jones, and Shavodrick Beaver in front of him.
HAHAHA. Have no idea how Charles Clay or Damaris Johnson wouldn't be above all of them. Certainly the most productive of the guys who have come here in my time.

Reactions: Lumpuckeroo
He's taller than Damaris. If he can be a combo of Damaris and Key, then we would have the next Randy Moss on our hands.

This guy looks legit , but I don’t buy TOO much into the star rating . I have seen 4 stars be some of the worst players on our team , and 2 stars become all Americans here

Reactions: OkieBudz and TU_BLA

Derrick Hall
Milton Howell
Relus Chance
Jabe Burgess
Deya Mhiesen
Damahco Ousley

All these above and more never made it to campus or barely saw the field and were all 5.6 and rated higher than guys like Chris Chamberlain, Charles Clay, and Garrett Mills. Guys that were four season contributors, all conference players, who went on to the NFL who clearly had the speed and athleticism from day one to be rated 5.9 or better. BTW, Zaven Collins just called and if you want to print him up a T-Shirt with “5.4” on the front, he’ll take a size 3XL, but he wants “$8 Million Signing Bonus” printed on the back.

You're memory is way better than mine. I'd forgotten about what * many of these guys were given. But many of us know, the * don't really matter except in the recruiting class rankings and the preseason prognosticators' picks since they have no idea how these teams and players will really function.
Zaven is the best example of this. NO ONE except Tulsa recruited him because he played at a small school, and being the most athletically gifted played at a high school that had fewer people than the subdivision I live in, he played out of position in small school HS football. Gundy, Stoops/Riley couldn't envision him outside of those positions (and apparently neither could Rivals, 247 or any other recruiting service). As a QB or FS, sure he may have only been 2*, but as an OLB/MLB, he was easily 4* talent and athletic ability.

Reactions: TULSARISING
To add on to that, I’ll give this as an example , I seen a BAD Tulsa team take a Texas team loaded with 5 stars to the limit and a decent offensive coordinator away from beating them in Austin , that was with Luke Skipper as the qb. People look at the star rating too much imo . Just like a lot of people think a team is automatically better then another because they are “ P5” which we know is not true . Look at the ou fans already thinking Tulsa and SMU are going to be “ warm up games “. This could end up costing them a very embarrassing loss this year because I can guarantee neither Tulsa or SMU are going to go lay down for them, both will be ready to play and prove something against the “ P5”

5TH highest????? How in the hell do you get that????
Just a PSA, I'd be careful using 247 or On3 info for historical Tulsa recruiting data. Neither 247 or On3 has ever had a dedicated TU publisher or team site, and nobody at either website covers Tulsa. Also, On3 has only been around 2 years, and 247 started in 2010, so 247 has at most 13 years of historical data.

Rivals has been around since 1998, and I have published the Rivals Tulsa site since 2004.

By the way, @Tulsa Productions -- thanks for subscribing.

I spoke with Joshua Smith recently...here's the article:

You mean I got to deal with your shenanigans on Twitter, Threads and now here!! lord have mercy. lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT