ADVERTISEMENT

Indoor Practice Facility

If you had all the money in the world....

The ideal way to do it imo would be to knock down Mabee Gym and all that is within that building complex (Music Annex, Rowing, Campo, Spirit Squad, etc) and build new stuff for all those things and then build the IPF where Mabbe Gym is now. I know the Music Annex is terribly outdated and most other stuff in there probably is as well.

That's all a pipe dream though.

Convert the Lorton Performance Center into the IPF. It would be infinitely more useful.

Reactions: jerandlaur
do we have any idea what a "sports dome" costs? Nice looking facility and great for indoor jogging on bad weather days. Many of the local high schools have what look like fairly makeshift IPFs that are big shells.

I don't think we want a "shell" on campus. They aren't the most attractive things in the world. Okla State's indoor facility which is brick and fits in with the campus architecture cost $19M.

do we have any idea what a "sports dome" costs? Nice looking facility and great for indoor jogging on bad weather days. Many of the local high schools have what look like fairly makeshift IPFs that are big shells.
I think the article said $5.5m. Those are pretty substantial structures meant to withstand Minnesota winters. The one near us is a full sized football field complete with sidelines and full end zones. I wouldn't say that it's an eyesore but it's certainly not as nice as a regular building in the surrounding architectural style. Of course I know TU won't do it - for the reason Lumpukeroo said.

Cincinnati has a dome which is put up and taken down seasonally.

There are suitable places for something similar at TU where architectural consistency isn’t an issue.

But TU would rather build a lasting facility for multiple uses if they build at all.

They aren’t going to build, as we have discussed ad nausem, until we have a financial and accreditation clean bill of health. July 2021 at the earliest.

We won without it.

Cincinnati has a dome which is put up and taken down seasonally.

There are suitable places for something similar at TU where architectural consistency isn’t an issue.

But TU would rather build a lasting facility for multiple uses if they build at all.

They aren’t going to build, as we have discussed ad nausem, until we have a financial and accreditation clean bill of health. July 2021 at the earliest.

We won without it.
What's the magic of July 2021? What happens or needs to happen between now and then for things to change? Is this based on assumptions about TU Committed?

It’s the end of the academic year that is the subject of our next status review by the accreditation folks.

NSU in Tahlequah has a small bubble behind their stadium for football and their other sports. Nothing fancy, it’s not a full field or really high ceiling, just functional for when it’s needed.

From NSU’s website.

INDOOR PRACTICE FACILITY (THE DOME)
Built in 2005, the 22,500 square-foot indoor practice facility houses 30 yards of artificial turf and a 40-foot by 100-foot strength and conditioning area. The 150-foot by 150-foot air-supported structure stands 50 feet tall and is located directly behind Doc Wadley Stadium on the West side. This project is the only building on the Northeastern State campus that was constructed solely from outside funding. Major contributors include Ryker and Tina Young, Gregg Wadley & Betsy Bracket, donations in honor of William Clay Felts, Love Bottling, Tye Thomas, Charlie Moore and Francis Wheeler.

It's a great IPF facility- 70,000 SF & 60 ft tall with goal posts to practice kicking game if necessary. Have been there in July and it's a tremendous relief from the heat. The positive air pressure required to keep it inflated is very impressionable when entering/exiting the doors. Almost like a mini.....hurricane.

It is a nice facility.

TWO WORDS.... Parking Garage! Yes, I'm being sarcastic.

Let's get the accreditation figured out so TU can continue to be a University. Without that base, which has been neglected for decades now, athletics doesn't have a chance to improve.

This just in:

ERuUGtUXkAEtxHS

UNT getting an IPF.

EDIT: This "is" UNT's new IPF...at least that is what the tweet appears to be saying. I thought these were renderings but apparently they're photographs of the place

Reactions: jerandlaur
It's hilarious how many bitch about this thread but so many schools are getting these facilities. Even the high schools have these facilities.

Reactions: TU4ever2
My crazy question of the day for construction engineers: could you enclose or cover Chapman for something close to the same money as an IPF?

My crazy question of the day for construction engineers: could you enclose or cover Chapman for something close to the same money as an IPF?
I’d love to see a Miami Dolphins style awning. Not necessarily interested in a real dome.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Maybe we could persuade Jenks or Owasso to build one and we could ask to borrow it when they aren't using it.

Owasso already has one, but they have to share it with baseball, track & field and the band. The only group with a dedicated IPF is cheer.

old.guy said:

Maybe we could persuade Jenks or Owasso to build one and we could ask to borrow it when they aren't using it.

Owasso already has one, but they have to share it with baseball, track & field and the band. The only group with a dedicated IPF is cheer.
[/quote]
BAs is the bomb. I’m shocked Union doesn’t have one BUT it may be on their next bond issue in 2023

BAs is the bomb. I’m shocked Union doesn’t have one BUT it may be on their next bond issue in 2023

BAs is really nice, but I’m surprised they didn’t incorporate in to their stadium like some of the other schools.

Owasso built their multiuse facility at least ten years ago — before most of the Big 12.

The UNT IPF is open. It includes a lounge area for welcoming recruits. The facility is definitely for players — future players.

The sad part of the IPF story is that from my chair, it looks like someone on our team is going to have to experience severe heat related symptoms or death before the facility is constructed. That’s what it took to get it built at FSU - that and Jimbo refusing to be elevated into the head coaching job until one was constructed because he didn’t want to be responsible for killing a kid and he rightly thought the Bowden conditioning team wasn’t getting the team ready. FWIW, UCF had one before anyone else in Florida and USF continues to use the Bucs facility. So TU is behind Owasso by 10 years but behind the richest program in college sports, UF by roughly 4. That really illustrates how this is all really about recruiting not practice or the band having a place to march when it rains.

TU athletics has the money and the land and the plans. But optics ....

Last edited:
AAC teams who don’t have one & are not in the process of getting one:
- Tulane
- ECU
- Navy

AAC teams who don’t have one but are fundraising for one right now:
- Memphis
- SMU
- USF

AAC teams that have an IPF:
- Houston
- Temple
- UCF
- Cincinnati (has used a bubble since 2010)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT