ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana State

ctt8410

I.T.S. Head Coach
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2003
2-1 with wins over Wyoming and Norfolk. They also lost a home game to IUPUI.

They have a couple bigs, but one is a Euro Juco transfer and the other is a freshman who didn't play against Norfolk. Their top 5 in minutes go 6'1,6'1,6'2,6'6,6'6. Off to a cold shooting start this year, but this team can hit from outside led by sophomore guard Brenton Scott, who is a 45% shooter for his career. Almost everyone who plays will pull from three.

This is another game where Shaq should be able to get to the rim, but this team is better defensively than Ohio. Things could get hairy if ISU gets hot from 3. Stating the obvious, but we can't afford to dig a 19-point deficit again.

Last year and this year, particularly the first half against WSU and Ohio, we failed to cover the three. Even though that was the only thing that would beat us, it took until halftime to adjust. I don't know if that is a scouting error (surely not) or lack of early aggressiveness. I would love to see us blanket the three point shooters and see if they can beat us somewhere else. Four threes are several more points than four two's.

I would also like to see us overplay the passing lanes against slower teams and see if we could get more fast break points.

Last year and this year, particularly the first half against WSU and Ohio, we failed to cover the three. Even though that was the only thing that would beat us, it took until halftime to adjust. I don't know if that is a scouting error (surely not) or lack of early aggressiveness. I would love to see us blanket the three point shooters and see if they can beat us somewhere else. Four threes are several more points than four two's.

Judging by comments from the coaching staff, this is an intentional response to how the new rules favor driving to the basket. We're trying to avoid picking up cheap fouls and we saw it in the first half yesterday when Ohio was racking up fouls while we mostly avoided them. But it's a tradeoff and you still have to know the scouting report. Kaminski was no threat to drive, but he's one of the best shooters we'll see this year.

Reactions: Gold*
I'll disagree our 3pt defense was bad against WSU. Only 1 of Van Vleet's 3 to end the half was something where the defense was lost. He hit a 30 footer from the T in Tulsa which was a desperation heave to beat the shot clock. The second was in the flow of things and he wiggled free, the last should have been called a player control foul as Ray was in his hip pocket the entire sequence. Lesser players get called for that foul, a fringe All American gets the benefit.

Haith made an adjustment to not let Kaminski be open on the screen and roll in the 2nd half. The switch was immediate and let Simmons drive if he wanted to hit it looked like he would have rather dished to Kaminski. Ohio only hit 1 or 2 threes after half.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT