ADVERTISEMENT

If They Cancel Football Season

If the AAC cancels the football season we're going to have a number of member schools (including Tulsa) unable to pay the basic operating expenses of their athletic departments.

Reactions: noble cane
If the AAC cancels the football season we're going to have a number of member schools (including Tulsa) unable to pay the basic operating expenses of their athletic departments.

I read recently that football generates over 85% of the athletic revenue at most schools.

They can cancel basketball, baseball, soccer or just about anything else and not cause too much trouble. It will be a big deal when they start cancelling football games.

I’ve also heard that they would consider moving football to winter or spring if necessary.

Reactions: TU1NNJ
I read recently that football generates over 85% of the athletic revenue at most schools.

They can cancel basketball, baseball, soccer or just about anything else and not cause too much trouble. It will be a big deal when they start cancelling football games.

I’ve also heard that they would consider moving football to winter or spring if necessary.
The part about cancelling basketball isn’t true. Here’s the way to think about it. Football funds an individual athletic department. Basketball is what funds the entire NCAA.

So football is what allows the absolute biggest schools to bring in millions of dollars. In the ecosystem, they’re then able to fund G5 schools with buy games and G5 schools fund FCS schools with all of those schools also bringing in a majority of their sponsorship and ticket revenue for the year from their home games.

March Madness brings in close to a billion dollars these days. That money is used to fund literally every other championship that the NCAA hosts at the D1 through D3 levels. Each conference and each school also receives substantial money and that is what schools without football count on to survive.

in a world where only the NCAA basketball tournament or only football season was affected, schools would struggle but with the knowledge that it was temporary. In the world we live in where both could be majorly impacted, it has a lot of departments planning for the worst.

The p5 schools will break and form their own alliance before they allow their money supply to be cut off...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT