ADVERTISEMENT

I want to cut the cord

Henry Kendall

I.T.S. Athletic Director
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2003
So I have always had Cox. I’m embarrassed to say, with all my movie channels, I’m paying $275 per month, including internet. It’s stupid I know.

I have a couple of buddies tell me YouTube tv is the way to go. But I’m seeing that Hulu offers ESPN+, which obviously would help with TU stuff.

I would appreciate any thoughts. Oh, and I realize that Cox may want to wheel and deal when I tell them I want to cancel my DVR.

So I have always had Cox. I’m embarrassed to say, with all my movie channels, I’m paying $275 per month, including internet. It’s stupid I know.

I have a couple of buddies tell me YouTube tv is the way to go. But I’m seeing that Hulu offers ESPN+, which obviously would help with TU stuff.

I would appreciate any thoughts. Oh, and I realize that Cox may want to wheel and deal when I tell them I want to cancel my DVR.
You can add espn plus separately if you like YouTube TV so don't get stuck on that. But I guess it might be a convenience.

You can add espn plus separately if you like YouTube TV so don't get stuck on that. But I guess it might be a convenience.
Definitely understand that. Also… here’s something kinda stoopid. I am really into Skinwalker Ranch. YouTube doesn’t carry History channel, so I will have to add another service for that.

Well you should pick whatever service gives you the programming you like best.

Fubo, Hulu live, YouTube tv, Sling. Whatever.

Reactions: Henry Kendall
I think I’ve tried them all. An ESPN exec friend gave me a promo code for Sling. That switched me off YouTube TV and between Sling, Apple TV and Max free through my phone plan, I don’t really miss anything. I thought YouTube TV was the most user friendly FYSA.

I've been on sling & youtube for extended periods of time. I've been on fubo briefly. I agree with most of the people here, if they have the channels you like, and have to add less channels ala carte that's probably best for you, one for convenience, and two for saving a little money. If you like to record a lot of stuff you need to look at the allowances for free, and or additional cost for extra storage. If you watch local channels, then pay attention to whether you can watch the local news or watch PBS if interested.

But you can test two or three of them out for a month, and really 'know' which one you like the most. I think that is the best suggestion I could make to you. you need to have the service for a little while before you know which one you like best. Hulu might be for you, fubo might be the one due to their pip feature being better. Or you might like Youtube. For my neighbor I got her Youtube Tv & Philo(History Channel & Science Channel) because that was the cheapest way to go that gave her everything she wanted at the time.(2019) But Fubo & Hulu weren't as established then. And you can always add sports features for a month/upgrade of your package and then go back down to your normal subscription when you don't need that channel etc..

Last edited:
I had cox because I thought I’d miss out on sports (mainly TU games that end up on obscure channels like pac12 network or something similar), but it got so expensive that it wasn’t worth it anymore to keep them just to be able to watch a random TU game on an obscure channel every other season.

So I cancelled cox cable once my agreement was up. I switched to Hulu live tv+ and it has been GREAT. It has almost every channel I had on the cox package (sports-wise) and pretty much all the other channels we watched.

I do the bundle, so I get Hulu (plus live tv), Disney+ and ESPN+ all for $76.99/month. Which is around $100 cheaper than what I was paying for cox tv.

With Hulu tv basic package you can stream live tv on two devices at once and have unlimited dvr (if you want to stream on more devices than 2 at once, I think it’s $10 more per month).

Hulu live tv has all the espn networks, cbs sports network, FS1 and FS2, sec and acc networks, and big10 network. So basically everything except pac12 network.

So between ESPN+, the linear espn channels, and the other conference networks, I’ve got about a 95% chance to catch every TU game.

non-sports related, but we also enjoy skinwalker ranch 👽 - History is included with Hulu live tv 😀

I had cox because I thought I’d miss out on sports (mainly TU games that end up on obscure channels like pac12 network or something similar), but it got so expensive that it wasn’t worth it anymore to keep them just to be able to watch a random TU game on an obscure channel every other season.

So I cancelled cox cable once my agreement was up. I switched to Hulu live tv+ and it has been GREAT. It has almost every channel I had on the cox package (sports-wise) and pretty much all the other channels we watched.

I do the bundle, so I get Hulu (plus live tv), Disney+ and ESPN+ all for $76.99/month. Which is around $100 cheaper than what I was paying for cox tv.

With Hulu tv basic package you can stream live tv on two devices at once and have unlimited dvr (if you want to stream on more devices than 2 at once, I think it’s $10 more per month).

Hulu live tv has all the espn networks, cbs sports network, FS1 and FS2, sec and acc networks, and big10 network. So basically everything except pac12 network.

So between ESPN+, the linear espn channels, and the other conference networks, I’ve got about a 95% chance to catch every TU game.

non-sports related, but we also enjoy skinwalker ranch 👽 - History is included with Hulu live tv 😀
At least u don't have to worry about the Pac 12 network for the immediate future. No games scheduled, and even if there were, everybody left the conference.

Gmoney’s advice is spot on. Try a couple and see which is best for you.

I’ve used YouTube TV, Fubo, Sling, and DirecTV Stream at different times. They all have pros and cons. My favorite is YouTube TV but they’re all better options than Cox.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Gmoney’s advice is spot on. Try a couple and see which is best for you.

I’ve used YouTube TV, Fubo, Sling, and DirecTV Stream at different times. They all have pros and cons. My favorite is YouTube TV but they’re all better options than Cox.

I am only using them for sports and I switch because of price and selection of sports networks only. I don't consider the conveniences and general channel offerings because I don't use them for that. That's why I haven't tried out as many. If I were using them for general channel offerings I would have tried out Hulu, which I haven't. I also would have tried them all as apps on my tv, rather than just surfing to YouTube, Sling, and Fubo, which have less conveniences on the web as opposed to an on the tv app.

Also I switch when necessary because I am only using them for sports and it is less of a hassle doing so than it would be when watching general channels. They made me bite the bullet this month and I picked up youtube for the first time in awhile, because there was too many Espn2's & U's, CBSSN, and Pac12's in a row. I usually just pick up Sling when necessary, and add the sports extra pack when necessary. I probably would go with Hulu if I were watching general channels as well as sports, and put it on my tv instead of surfing for it. But I don't know that for sure because I didn't try it out. Also I didn't try out fubo as a tv app,(or any of the others) because I was only using it briefly, and it wasn't worth the hassle. (conveniences on tv apps as opposed to surfing include all or part of the following: not pulling down to the channel offerings when you accidentally hit an arrow button or the mouse, having and using the pip feature, the way the menu's work, having better control of things like flipping back forth with last channel etc. )

I am being so detailed here to make a point. Everyone's preferences are different, and different things mean more or less to one person/family than the other. Trying it out is the only real way to find out what you really like. It's like if I asked you what shirt was the best one to buy. Brand, color, pattern, price, & fit make that an individual thing.

Yes I would be a good product tester, and/or manual designer if that were a lucrative thing. I usually look for and/or test just about every aspect of most products I buy. I also am the one who less adept older folks call when they can't figure something out on there fancy new electronic doo dad.

I spent 40 hours making a manual for my mom & dad's newer car(Honda Pilot) recentishly. I figured I would at least spend 40 hours telling them repeatedly how to use things on it over the next year. That avoided the hassle of me getting aggravated at them, because they couldn't 'see' the directions I was explaining to them over the phone. It was all in the form of diagrams scanned from the manual, cut and pasted, and notated in photoshop with color coded arrows & steps, showing left and right, up and down, and circular motions as well as what buttons to push. I covered EVERY aspect of the car operation. It was the idiots guide to a Honda Pilot. I did the entire car in 8 easy to read large laminated 5x7" cue card diagrams, on flip page free standing ring binders.

Then my parents had the nerve to die in a house fire less than two months later. The nerve of them. Black humor is much easier now than it was 3 1/2 years ago.

Last edited:
I am only using them for sports and I switch because of price and selection of sports networks only. I don't consider the conveniences and general channel offerings because I don't use them for that. That's why I haven't tried out as many. If I were using them for general channel offerings I would have tried out Hulu, which I haven't. I also would have tried them all as apps on my tv, rather than just surfing to YouTube, Sling, and Fubo, which have less conveniences on the web as opposed to an on the tv app.

Also I switch when necessary because I am only using them for sports and it is less of a hassle doing so than it would be when watching general channels. They made me bite the bullet this month and I picked up youtube for the first time in awhile, because there was too many Espn2's & U's, CBSSN, and Pac12's in a row. I usually just pick up Sling when necessary, and add the sports extra pack when necessary. I probably would go with Hulu if I were watching general channels as well as sports, and put it on my tv instead of surfing for it. But I don't know that for sure because I didn't try it out. Also I didn't try out fubo as a tv app,(or any of the others) because I was only using it briefly, and it wasn't worth the hassle. (conveniences on tv apps as opposed to surfing include all or part of the following: not pulling down to the channel offerings when you accidentally hit an arrow button or the mouse, having and using the pip feature, the way the menu's work, having better control of things like flipping back forth with last channel etc. )

I am being so detailed here to make a point. Everyone's preferences are different, and different things mean more or less to one person/family than the other. Trying it out is the only real way to find out what you really like. It's like if I asked you what shirt was the best one to buy. Brand, color, pattern, price, & fit make that an individual thing.

Yes I would be a good product tester, and/or manual designer if that were a lucrative thing. I usually look for and/or test just about every aspect of most products I buy. I also am the one who less adept older folks call when they can't figure something out on there fancy new electronic doo dad.

I spent 40 hours making a manual for my mom & dad's newer car(Honda Pilot) recentishly. I figured I would at least spend 40 hours telling them repeatedly how to use things on it over the next year. That avoided the hassle of me getting aggravated at them, because they couldn't 'see' the directions I was explaining to them over the phone. It was all in the form of diagrams scanned from the manual, cut and pasted, and notated in photoshop with color coded arrows & steps, showing left and right, up and down, and circular motions as well as what buttons to push. I covered EVERY aspect of the car operation. It was the idiots guide to a Honda Pilot. I did the entire car in 8 easy to read large laminated 5x7" cue card diagrams, on flip page free standing ring binders.

Then my parents had the nerve to die in a house fire less than two months later. The nerve of them. Black humor is much easier now than it was 3 1/2 years ago.

It's not really important to the points I was trying to get across, but I forgot to go back and finish the section talking about things that are easier and/or better on a tv app in place of surfing.

I just did so, and put it in living color. /\ As always I made some edits in the several minutes after I posted, but didn't highlight them. So if you want to reread the whole post, there might be some additions or edits you missed if you read it in less than 10 min after the original post. It's not utterly important to the post, but I just needed to finish it to feel like I didn't leave it hanging.

I just hate it when I see I left something out of a post that I intended to finish, and didn't because I lost my train of thought. I'm sure it was somewhat confusing.

I went by my neighborhood Cox store. I told them I wanted to dump the TV and keep the internet, I was very surprised. After much frowning at their computer monitor and a lot of keys clicking, the young man determined he could save me a whopping $10 off my $275 monthly bill. Maybe the phone people have more latitude to cut a deal.

I went by my neighborhood Cox store. I told them I wanted to dump the TV and keep the internet, I was very surprised. After much frowning at their computer monitor and a lot of keys clicking, the young man determined he could save me a whopping $10 off my $275 monthly bill. Maybe the phone people have more latitude to cut a deal.
That's what I experienced.

• Angry
Exact same thing happened to me when I cancelled. They tried to tell me I wouldn’t be able to watch sports, like they offered, on any other platform and it was well worth the money to stay - so they offered me a tiny discount to sign a new 2 year agreement.

I know it’s their job but does that actually work on people?

My only regret is not cutting the cable sooner.

Exact same thing happened to me when I cancelled. They tried to tell me I wouldn’t be able to watch sports, like they offered, on any other platform and it was well worth the money to stay - so they offered me a tiny discount to sign a new 2 year agreement.

I know it’s their job but does that actually work on people?

My only regret is not cutting the cable sooner.
Same thing now days with physical newspapers. Not discounting them like they used to. Just moving you to digital if they can.

Cox is more interested in providing you Internet service which is highly profitable.

Same thing now days with physical newspapers. Not discounting them like they used to. Just moving you to digital if they can.

Cox is more interested in providing you Internet service which is highly profitable.
Which they have a monopoly out in broken arrow. We moved out to BA a couple of years ago and the only internet options are cox and windstream. When we were in midtown, I had AT&T fiber and it was fantastic and cheaper than cox… but until AT&T comes out to BA, I’m stuck with cox internet. It’s not bad, I just think I’m overpaying for it, but there isn’t an alternative that isn’t worse.

Which they have a monopoly out in broken arrow. We moved out to BA a couple of years ago and the only internet options are cox and windstream. When we were in midtown, I had AT&T fiber and it was fantastic and cheaper than cox… but until AT&T comes out to BA, I’m stuck with cox internet. It’s not bad, I just think I’m overpaying for it, but there isn’t an alternative that isn’t worse.
There are now some 5g broadband options too.

I have gigabit AT&T fiber internet and pay a lot less than $275 a month. Even my old neighborhood south of Chapman Stadium has availability for it.

As far as 5G goes, Verizon and T Mobile both offer it and have tools based on your address to see if it is available. The speed isn’t as good as fiber but may be adequate for some.

I have gigabit AT&T fiber internet and pay a lot less than $275 a month. Even my old neighborhood south of Chapman Stadium has availability for it.

As far as 5G goes, Verizon and T Mobile both offer it and have tools based on your address to see if it is available. The speed isn’t as good as fiber but may be adequate for some.
That's with cable tv service.($275) Gigabit internet service with cox is somewhere between $110 and $120.

Last edited:
$145/month after taxes and fees - that’s what I have 😉
I'm talking bout before taxes and fees. I just have the $90 1/2 gig plan.(all I need) But I could upgrade to 1 Gig for $110('on sale') Sounds like they may be still doing that introductory price and then raising it after a year.

I will tell you @goldenhurricane2. You should call up cox and ask them about the different categories of rates. I found out that I was on the grandfathered old plan that started out at 100Gb, raised to 250, and then raised to 500gb. I was looking at the rates for my sister.(because she was cutting the cord and asking me which plan would be good for her) I saw that they had two different plans with a $10 difference but a different title, and both were 500gb.

I asked what the difference was between the plans, and they told me the plan I was on was the grandfathered plan at the $10 higher rate, but they were the same plan. I said well can I switch plans? He said sure, I can switch you right now. They would have let me go on paying that $10 extra for eternity if I hadn't asked about it.

I was always under the impression that being on the grandfathered plan was a way to keep your rate, when the rates went up. Now it's just another excuse for them to gig you,(pun intended) if you don't question them on it. I was only on that plan when the increase happened for two months.(my account reverted to the grandfathered plan after a discount ended) So they only scabbed me for $20, but it could have continued. They will find a way to screw you if they can.

I thanked my sister for inadvertently allowing me to drop my cable bill from a c note to $90.

Reactions: goldenhurricane2
I have ATT Fiber 300 and pay $64 a month. My nephew games often and he has never had issues with performance. I did look to make sure it was enough and 300 puts in "elite" gaming speeds for internet, whatever that means. I can have all my devices running at once using 4k and him gaming at 4k and there is never lag.

Reactions: TU 1978
I have ATT Fiber 300 and pay $64 a month. My nephew games often and he has never had issues with performance. I did look to make sure it was enough and 300 puts in "elite" gaming speeds for internet, whatever that means. I can have all my devices running at once using 4k and him gaming at 4k and there is never lag.
They have a 250gb plan for $70 at cox. So you get an extra 50GB of speed, and save $6.

They have a 250gb plan for $70 at cox. So you get an extra 50GB of speed, and save $6.
I also have ATT Fiber 300 for a little over 2 years for $60/month. A couple of months ago they increased it to $65 and the next month to $70/month. I called customer service to see what was going on. I now have the same plan for $15.50/Mo. some times it pays to call and talk to them.

I also have ATT Fiber 300 for a little over 2 years for $60/month. A couple of months ago they increased it to $65 and the next month to $70/month. I called customer service to see what was going on. I now have the same plan for $15.50/Mo. some times it pays to call and talk to them.
Do they have any faster plans? Like 500Gb/s or 1000Gb/s? (I am assuming 300 refers to speed, not the amount of data used.)

Do they have any faster plans? Like 500Gb/s or 1000Gb/s? (I am assuming 300 refers to speed, not the amount of data used.)
Heck I am on 50 and that does all I need. Even a tiny bit of 4k.

47.99 with Cox.

Heck I am on 50 and that does all I need. Even a tiny bit of 4k.

47.99 with Cox.
Depends on what you do. I download stuff a lot. and it is inordinately quicker at 250gb from 100gb. And the speed increases are not negligible at 500gb. I could go back down to 250gb and save $20, and not be too disappointed, but I've kept it at 500gb because I do like the speed. If you had multiple devices, downloaded a lot, and/or had several family members taxing it at the same time, then the 250/500/1000 is nice. If you had a security system, several electrical devices in your house automated to it, and/or gamed much at all it would be worthwhile to have more.

I would never go back down to 100gb much less 50gb, because of what I use it for, and needing the speed. But I did(and am still) consider going back down to 250gb.

Depends on what you do. I download stuff a lot. and it is inordinately quicker at 250gb from 100gb. And the speed increases are not negligible at 500gb. I could go back down to 250gb and save $20, and not be too disappointed, but I've kept it at 500gb because I do like the speed. If you had multiple devices, downloaded a lot, and/or had several family members taxing it at the same time, then the 250/500/1000 is nice. If you had a security system, several electrical devices in your house automated to it, and/or gamed much at all it would be worthwhile to have more.

I would never go back down to 100gb much less 50gb, because of what I use it for, and needing the speed. But I did(and am still) consider going back down to 250gb.
Household of 5 streaming in multiple rooms very smoothly but very little 4k.

Household of 5 streaming in multiple rooms very smoothly but very little 4k.
Streaming doesn't take much speed.(Especially at 720p, which is what many streams are at.) Other things do. Glad that works for you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT