ADVERTISEMENT

Cord cutting for college football fans?

JesseTU

I.T.S. Head Coach
Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
I downgraded my cable subscription long ago because MTV stopped being about music and the History Channel stopped being about history. But my wife, God bless my good fortune, has said she misses college football. So I looked into turning it back on.

Basically, I have to pay for ~150 channels to then have the privilege of upgrading to a sports package that gets TU games onto my TV (as well as other college football games). I can add this or that and get a phone and give them access to my lights and bundle in my dogs or something and get the price down to something just below the right elbow... then I'm locked in for 2 years.

So I found Hulu Live and Youtube Live. Both seem like solid options and each offers a half dozen ESPNs, several FS, CBS and NBC Sports, BTN, SEC, and of course, all the channels I left originally. Call it $40 a month, cancel when TU fails to make a bowl game (or anytime).

Anyone have any experience or thoughts?

Reactions: TulsaFan1988
I came super close to cutting directv and going with YouTube tv. It has everything I wanted and needed (as a sports fan). The only reason I didn’t pull the trigger is because I’m lazy.

Just this week I turned off our directv and went with Hulu live. Love it and we still get access to watchespn.

Not to mention we saved $200 a month

I cut cable at the start of the year and picked up Playstation Vue. It's the only streaming service I could find (at the time) that has all of the main sports channels plus the Fox Sports regional channels.

We spent a couple days reading and watching reviews on most of them. Hulu live seemed to give us the best medium for watching college football and my wifes "man hater" movies.

Hulus show and movie library is fantastic and although we havent tried it out yet, the digital DVR comes with it included.

Haven’t had cable since 2007. Until someone under age 5 or over 65 is living in my house, I couldn’t possibly think of a reason to have it. Never missed a TU game between Apple devices, PlayStation, CaneVision, and the infrequent trip to the pub.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Anyone have any experience or thoughts?

I have YouTube TV and it is fantastic. In fact, I think it’s better than cable because it’s Cloud DVR functionality is amazing. You mark shows and teams as favorites and it’ll take care of recording shows, showing on demand options along side the recordings, and is smart enough not to keep recording reruns over and over.

And unless ESPN+ changed things, you can access ESPN3 games with a YouTube TV account.

I have YouTube TV and it is fantastic. In fact, I think it’s better than cable because it’s Cloud DVR functionality is amazing. You mark shows and teams as favorites and it’ll take care of recording shows, showing on demand options along side the recordings, and is smart enough not to keep recording reruns over and over.

And unless ESPN+ changed things, you can access ESPN3 games with a YouTube TV account.

This is why I ALMOST switched.

Can you confirm YouTube TV includes ESPN3? TU has many espn3 games and I was looking at switching to YouTube tv, but stopped short because they told me espn3 was not included. Would switch (and save a ton of $$) in a heartbeat if espn3 is in fact available with YouTube tv.

Can you confirm YouTube TV includes ESPN3? TU has many espn3 games and I was looking at switching to YouTube tv, but stopped short because they told me espn3 was not included. Would switch (and save a ton of $$) in a heartbeat if espn3 is in fact available with YouTube tv.

I just checked and can confirm I'm able to watch ESPN 3, so it is now included.

Slingtv works well for me. I never looked into YouTube TV.

I had sling when I cut the cord last summer but switched to YouTube TV when it became available in Tulsa because of Sling’s DVR wouldn’t record live games on ESPN. Not only will YouTube TV record everything, it has unlimited DVR cloud space.

I am trying to figure out how I am going to watch next’s week game. I am going to my wife’s family reunion on the 8th in Fort Smith, Arkansas. Anyone have any suggestions to access the game via my smartphone? I wish I could sneak out and watch the game at a bar; I am sure I will need a drink after talking to my wife’s distant relatives. As much as I love YouTube TV the Longhorn Nextwork isn’t a channel offered.

Reactions: TUGrad06
Now I’m reading that YouTube tv won’t let you fast forward thru commercials on the DVR?

I signed up for YouTube TV last night (7 day trial), watched the OSU game and a couple of others, recorded the Tulane game on some ESPN network (watched the ending). I just now logged in and I can fast forward, rewind, and control the video just like a YouTube Video. The FAQ says "You can record a program by adding it to your library. This means that all airings—including upcoming airings and reruns—will be recorded automatically. You typically can fast forward through ads on recorded programs once they've aired on live TV. "
https://support.google.com/youtubetv/answer/7126139?hl=en

Apparently, the agreement YouTube has with some providers means YouTube TV actually plays the on-demand (VOD) version of the show, which can contain ads. Generally, it seems this is the most popular sitcoms and is driven by the network agreements. There has been a fairly robust backlash. I haven't heard of such a thing for sports, and I don't have a strong need to watch other TV programming, but it appears the "DVR" feature can be made to work very differently than most DVRs... so I get why people wouldn't be pleased.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/youtube-tv-will-force-you-to-watch-ads-on-many-dvrd-shows-1491842805
https://www.tubefilter.com/2017/04/10/youtube-tv-dvr-fast-forward-on-demand-shows/
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/youtube/ZnqxoS6qJJo;context-place=forum/YouTube
https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/...y-lets-choose-dvr-vod-versions-saved-content/

This will be our second season with Hulu Live. We love it other than not enough NFL games, but we just got an HD antenna and get the local ones that way.

Pilot, I thought you get a few local channels with Hulu Live. Is that not the case?

I put in my Tulsa zip code yesterday on their site and said we get Fox23 and ch 6. Figure we'll do the 7-day trial and see how we like it.

Pilot, I thought you get a few local channels with Hulu Live. Is that not the case?

I put in my Tulsa zip code yesterday on their site and said we get Fox23 and ch 6. Figure we'll do the 7-day trial and see how we like it.
They might have changed it since we got it... I'm in OKC and needed that antenna to get the local stuff. Considering the effort I put into getting that stupid thing in my attic I think I'll keep using it . If you do keep it make sure you confirm your phone/tablet on your Wi-Fi before any trips so you can watch while on the road

Give it a few years and streaming will just be as expensive as satellite...

If mega mergers keep getting approved and there are 1 or 2 providers... For sure. But if Google, Hulu, Apple, Sling, and others continue to compete against cable and satellite, it could work out.

Assuming broadband oligarchies don't exploit the new net neutrality rules to screw consumers. Which they totally said they wouldn't do (and the FCC winked and we all laughed and laughed).

Playstation Vue is very good, and you don't have to have a Playstation.

I cut the cord a long time ago. I use an antenna with Tivo for live TV...get about 50 channels for free. Plenty of college football on 2, 6, 8, 19, 23, etc. But you can get the ESPN's with PS Vue or Sling if you need it.

I have Netflix, Hulu, Prime Video, Antenna/Tivo...totals about $40.25 per month.

The biggest gap in these packages re. TU was always CBSSN which I was unable to find via streaming. And we are pretty much guaranteed to have a few games there across FB and BB.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT