ADVERTISEMENT

I miss old time broadcasting

nevadanatural

I.T.S. University President
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2003
Remember the days when you would watch a ball game on TV and the play-by-play guy would describe the action on every play including identifying the players involved and referee decisions while the color guy would provide background on the teams and players? Not anymore. You listen to these ABC/ESPN guys and it’s like listening to two guys in their living room discussing sports in general. More than 50% of what’s said is about other games, other leagues, other sports and they will ramble on for 5 to 10 minutes without even mentioning the game you’re watching. What I wouldn’t give to hear one more “whoa Nellie” from Keith Jackson.

The espn crew vs UCF sounded like they were actually in their living rooms with a few second delay between the live action & their call. All those talking heads suck so bad I turn off the sound & listen to Bruce & Rick.

Manusha, is that something you spit out of your mouth. Hooked on phonics.

Minutiae, look up the roots of the word.

Reactions: TU_BLA
The espn crew vs UCF sounded like they were actually in their living rooms with a few second delay between the live action & their call. All those talking heads suck so bad I turn off the sound & listen to Bruce & Rick.
I don’t know about that game, but there has been a few ESPN3 broadcasts in the past where one guy was watching the video feed in Bristol and another guy is watching the same feed in another location. It’s very common in international soccer. If they have talent, you can’t tell. In the case of college football it sounds like two guys sitting in a bar talking about a game between two teams they know nothing about and are only casually watching. The flip side of that is Lou Holtz live in the booth talking about his diseased foot rather than how we were beating Houston. I’m not sure which is worse? An off duty internal affairs cop who does color broadcasts to re-live his Division 2 glory days sitting in his crappy apartment in Orlando or some guy live in person getting paid millions to slobber. Then there’s Andre Ware who is a whole other level of bad. He must do the games for free. There’s no other explanation.

Covid is limiting the travel of production staff and broadcasters, also cutting down on camera crews. I have a friend who is remote producing broadcasts from her living room for ESPN currently. The announcing crew on Friday night was at their homes, what I didn’t understand was how poorly they could see what was happening on the screen. I don’t know if they making them watch a live feed on a small monitor or what but they were missing obvious things.

Remember the days when you would watch a ball game on TV and the play-by-play guy would describe the action on every play including identifying the players involved and referee decisions while the color guy would provide background on the teams and players? Not anymore. You listen to these ABC/ESPN guys and it’s like listening to two guys in their living room discussing sports in general. More than 50% of what’s said is about other games, other leagues, other sports and they will ramble on for 5 to 10 minutes without even mentioning the game you’re watching. What I wouldn’t give to hear one more “whoa Nellie” from Keith Jackson.

Remember when it was play-by-play GUY and not Beth Mowins??? I have to watch games on mute when the left-wing progressive PC mandate puts a butchy middle aged woman in the broadcast booth with the voice of a 15 year old prepubescent boy...

Covid is limiting the travel of production staff and broadcasters, also cutting down on camera crews. I have a friend who is remote producing broadcasts from her living room for ESPN currently. The announcing crew on Friday night was at their homes, what I didn’t understand was how poorly they could see what was happening on the screen. I don’t know if they making them watch a live feed on a small monitor or what but they were missing obvious things.
She played soccer at TU right? Pretty sure I met her when she first starting out there.

Manusha, is that something you spit out of your mouth. Hooked on phonics.

Minutiae, look up the roots of the word.
Manusha is a delicious Lebanese pizza-type bread covered in a spice mix heavy with thyme and olive oil. Thanks for the reminder, I need to hit the freezer for a few slices.

When the game was no longer in question they stopped paying attention.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Remember when it was play-by-play GUY and not Beth Mowins??? I have to watch games on mute when the left-wing progressive PC mandate puts a butchy middle aged woman in the broadcast booth with the voice of a 15 year old prepubescent boy...
I am not against female play by play announcers but her voice is annoying and by the way so is the guy on Fox - Petros Papadakis.

Misogynistic from you doesn't surprise me.

Reactions: TU 1978 and TU_BLA
Reactions: nevadanatural
I am not against female play by play announcers but her voice is annoying and by the way so is the guy on Fox - Petros Papadakis.
Petros- shouldn't be doing play by play. He's a radio voice only and one that should only do the call in shows. If I recall correctly, he got his gig from winning one of Rome's smack offs from back in the day.

IMO, we've gotten good kudos from the crews that have done our games. They're not completely devoid of any understanding of who Tulsa is. They gush at Zaven's ability to play, they gushed about Player and Smith and Prince. It's fine. I think what most people have a problem with is the forced commentary to make sure there is no dead air. For some reason a 1 second pause in the voices is the worst thing in sports broadcasting.

I’d much rather we win in Atlanta then have y’all down here in Florida for the party afterwards. I’ll buy the beer and Stone crab.
Well this is an old projection. Penn State is through. I guarantee USC isn't a NY6 team, they'll be lucky to hit 5 wins. Boise gets the luck of not having to play an actual opponent as the MWC is pure awful. And I'm not sold on Boise at all.

Petros- shouldn't be doing play by play. He's a radio voice only and one that should only do the call in shows. If I recall correctly, he got his gig from winning one of Rome's smack offs from back in the day.

IMO, we've gotten good kudos from the crews that have done our games. They're not completely devoid of any understanding of who Tulsa is. They gush at Zaven's ability to play, they gushed about Player and Smith and Prince. It's fine. I think what most people have a problem with is the forced commentary to make sure there is no dead air. For some reason a 1 second pause in the voices is the worst thing in sports broadcasting.
Petros shouldn’t be doing play by play. He didn’t get started with Rome, but that could have happened. He is a fourth generation USC alum and that family is well woven into the restaurant/entertainment/celebrity/charity/media clique of Los Angeles. A lot of the problems USC had with Bush and others had its genesis with his dad and other boosters who also played for USC. He was doing regular radio and TV after making captain of the USC team in 2000 then slid into regular fairly high profile on air positions. That doesn’t just happen unless somebody is pulling strings. Ask high school dropout without an audition tape Joe Buck.

Petros shouldn’t be doing play by play. He didn’t get started with Rome, but that could have happened. He is a fourth generation USC alum and that family is well woven into the restaurant/entertainment/celebrity/charity/media clique of Los Angeles. A lot of the problems USC had with Bush and others had its genesis with his dad and other boosters who also played for USC. He was doing regular radio and TV after making captain of the USC team in 2000 then slid into regular fairly high profile on air positions. That doesn’t just happen unless somebody is pulling strings. Ask high school dropout without an audition tape Joe Buck.
I just looked, it wasn't Petros that I was thinking of. It was JT the Brick. JT host(s/ed) a radio show on Fox as well after the win and I think he may have led in to Petros' syndicated broadcast
on 1430.

Petros shouldn't be doing PBP...neither should the brick.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT