ADVERTISEMENT

Hurricane Nation, your help is needed

Henry Kendall

I.T.S. Athletic Director
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2003
This post is going to be a bit long, but I hope everyone will read it.

Most of you are like me, TU fans who have been following our school for years, probably decades. We have had lengthy discussions on here about attendance, and our lack of traditions. So I am proposing a couple of small things we can do, and I need your feedback and help.

I have reached out to the both the head of the cheer squad, as well as the new head of the sports marketing arm for TU. I have proposed two simple things we can do, to build fan unity and start/restart a tradition. I will tell you that both people I spoke with could not have been nicer or more receptive to my suggestions. The problem is, both people did not attend TU so they don't have a sense of any tradition at the school.

So here's one thing fans can do. Coach Monty started the Hurricane hand sign with recruits and commits. Look at any commitment pic and you will see the coaches and players making that sign. That's a Reign Cane hand sign....think of it like Hook Em Horns. So when you go to the game, show your friends the sign. If you happen to get shown on the big scoreboard, make the hand sign. If you happen to post pics to the #ReignCane Twitter feed, the one that they post the pics in tiles on the big board, then take pics making the Reign Cane hand sign.

I suggested to the marketing people that they should have a graphic to put on the scoreboard, of the hand sign with a picture of the real meteorological hurricane in the background, for the half of people in the stands who don't understand what the sign represents...a subtle way to educate people. Here's an example:

https://tulsa.rivals.com/news/gadlin-commits-to-Tulsa

The second tradition I discussed bringing back is the Golden....Hurricane chant. Done the way it used to be done, with perhaps the east and south stands chanting Golden, and the west Hurricane. But done slowly, so each side has a chance to respond. All you old timers know exactly what I am talking about. Neither person I spoke with was familiar with the chant, so I forwarded YouTube clips to show them. I proposed that the cheerleaders use placards to start the chant, and I also suggested it be done at the same point in the game, every game. That's the way traditions work. Hog fans know how to call the hogs, OSU fans know to wave their arms (is that called waving the wheat or something like that?) after every score, to their fight song. It's done the same way every time. That's what a tradition is. I suggested that we do the Golden Hurricane chant when the team is lining up to kick off. That's because either it's the start of the game or the half, or we have just scored so the crowd is pumped up.

Of course, there are marketing issues that create problems. Right now, there is music that is played while the team is lining up for kickoff. To me, that just sucks the energy out of the crowd. I hope they will consider modifying that to allow for the chant.

So how can you help? I would ask you to contact the people I spoke with, and voice your support. Like I said, both people were extremely nice and receptive. I just think that if they hear from more people than just me, it would help. So please be courteous and helpful, and don't vent your gripes. Both people are looking to make the gameday experience better, and griping really doesn't accomplish much.

Amanda Snider- Head coach of cheer: Amanda-Snider@utulsa.edu
Jason Malay- Head of sports marketing: jdm1020@utulsa.edu

I support what you are doing.

I hate hand signs. That's so Texas.

The hurricane hand sign is the best bit of marketing to come out of TU in a while....and it was a cheerleader that came up with it

I miss the Golden. . . . Hurricane chant! Prior to the team taking the field would be a great time for it. Similar to "calling the hogs" to bring the team on to the field!! I also like the new Raising the flag at the beginning of the 4th Qtr with a "dignitary" sounding the old siren but I wonder if both of those would be better prior to kick-off?

Reactions: Tulsafanzz
I miss the Golden. . . . Hurricane chant! Prior to the team taking the field would be a great time for it. Similar to "calling the hogs" to bring the team on to the field!! I also like the new Raising the flag at the beginning of the 4th Qtr with a "dignitary" sounding the old siren but I wonder if both of those would be better prior to kick-off?

The Golden --- Hurricane chant has been around four many years. How did that not get passed down with the cheer leaders?

Reactions: TUBballJunkie
They still do it. It just hasn't been as strong recently.

The hand sign is great! I love seeing that on Twitter!
The Golden--Hurricane chant... I don't know who decided it but it seems 4-5 years ago they started just standing in front of the student section to get it going.
It's great when both sides are involved though.

Reactions: Tuloma
Good stuff, HK!

Hand sign seemed silly but the athletes and the students/young alums love it. They all know it and do it down here in Houston. Since it's been a whopping 20 years since I started at TU, I've embraced it too.

The Clancys made a big to-do about at our pregame event at UH football last year also and taught all us lame old people.

It makes me feel like lame Coog or SMU fans. It's a step removed from becoming an Aggie and having to register papers to own a pet.

Reactions: HuffyCane
I agree. I think it's cool to do in those recruit visit pictures, but I'm not crazy about the idea of a hand sign during the games. Let's just get the chant rolling again.

Reactions: Gold*
I miss the Golden. . . . Hurricane chant! Prior to the team taking the field would be a great time for it. Similar to "calling the hogs" to bring the team on to the field!!

I think that is a great idea.

I'm not big on hand signs either. I just was looking for something that is easy, and it gives people something to do if they are shown on the scoreboard, instead of just waving and looking goofy. Plus, it supports Coach Monty, players and commits.

I appreciate all the comments. Just don't forget to send your suggestions to the people I mentioned in the post.

I used 2 say 4 yrs that we need a golden retriever or some type of golden dog to lead the team out. There are several type of dogs that would b good golden mascot . Perhaps a wiener dog parade? Haha

I do remember a few yrs back they had Goldie as sort of med dog? I know or was a trained specialized medical type dog.

I think there's something to the phrase "Reign Cane" as well. I wonder if a different type of chant than the traditional "Golden! Hurricane!" could be incorporated alongside that.

Maybe something like Kansas' "ROOOOOOOCK CHAAAAAALK" drone. Like a droning "Reeeeeeign Cane!" that could be repeated over and over, getting louder and louder, and faster and faster during opponent's downs. Doing it at the pace of drums (kind of like USMNT soccer / a roman galley) would be cool. Long "Reeeeeeign" and a Staccato "CANE!"

Reactions: Bill Lowery
Every year when TU sends out their fan surveys I make the suggestion that they play less "canned music" and let the band play more. Not only would it create a more unique and festive "gameday" type atmosphere but it would allow for more chants and cheers to be heard.

I'm not sure they're listening...

The hurricane hand sign is the best bit of marketing to come out of TU in a while....and it was a cheerleader that came up with it

There are places that hand sign is considered an obscene gesture.....just sayin...

Last edited:
Good suggestions on reviving or improving enthusiasm for some traditions. One of my favorites, prior to the team taking the field is the PA announcement and video placing Chapman Stadium under a Hurricane alert.

Every year when TU sends out their fan surveys I make the suggestion that they play less "canned music" and let the band play more. Not only would it create a more unique and festive "gameday" type atmosphere but it would allow for more chants and cheers to be heard.

I'm not sure they're listening...

This has been going on for decades. It just gets worse. Basketball has sort of improved it, but then football decided, "Hey, basketball is so effective at killing crowd noise, let's do that, too."

I miss the old rickety Skelly where they didn't blast music all the time.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
Reverse victory sign and thumb under index finger are more well traveled.

Follow eye of the hurricane with this on and you'll do well.
f5c7be62ce78a96f1104855d430fee4a.jpg

Who knew every single person making the ok sign is offensive?
When I was deployed to Iraq, Afghanistan and Africa if you give the ok sign you just called them an asshole and it is very offensive. Now you say "but we are in Oklahoma". I got that but we do have people from those countries here. During this time of snowflakes and breathing being offensive, we should use caution.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT