ADVERTISEMENT

How did you end up at the University of Tulsa?

brahmanknight

Serious Cat Circle of Honor
Sep 5, 2007
We've had a thread on the UCF board a few times that talks about how we all ended up choosing UCF as our school.

So, how did each of you end up going to Tulsa?

A for instance for me at UCF, I grew up in a small, rural town in south Florida, and realized I had no interest in going to UF or FSU, since those places are just like my hometown but with a university. I wanted to go somewhere that was in a city. I briefly considered USF, but I had family in Tampa and wanted to be away from family for the first time. I took a visit to UCF, and was sold after walking around campus and knowing that they held aerospace engineering in high regard. So UCF it was.

I thought I wanted big, public schools until I visited them. Academics was high on my list, and when I visited a Tulsa bball game and saw they brought the athletic atmosphere too, I was sold. Best of both worlds, small/private/academic rep combined with athletics/Greek system/awesome city. I wasn't keen on a "college town". I also really appreciate the diversity of the campus here in the bible belt.

I love this school more and more all the time. Pretty epic homecoming weekend.

used to think i wanted to go to one of the big state skools...changed my senior year when i visited TCU, SMU, and a few others. TCU was the front runner for a long time and i still like those horney toads (my niece is working on her doctorate there now) until i went to TU. i grew up in the Texas panhandle but my family is from northeast oklahoma (chelsea, nowata, ramona...all the large cities) and it gave me the chance to be close to family but not too close. i was also going where NOBODY from my hometown was going. plus i have always loved the city of Tulsa. TU was the best fit for me....

uzi.gif
nuke you see ef!!!

2nd generation...

Like father, like son!

Grew up loving to watch Mickey Mantle and TU sports!!!

I don't hardly know how it happened to me it happens fast. I just remember I was in the Green Lantern in Natchez one Saturday night, listening to The Shame, and somebody pulled a knife and somebody threw the bottle. And the next thing I knew I had a calculus book in my lap and a slide rule in my hand.

It seemed like the whole world come down on me.
This post was edited on 10/31 7:29 AM by TUMe

My mom took a class or two back in the '70s. I'd tag along and sit outside her class while trying to entertain myself. I was maybe five or six years old but thought it was pretty damn cool, this whole college thing. I pretty much told myself before I was 10 that I would be going to TU. I took one trip to SMU and another to Kansas even though I'd made my mind up. I've basically been in Tulsa my whole life and had always planned to stay. Love the city, love the university.

Originally posted by TUMe:
I don't hardly know how it happened to me it happens fast. I just remember I was in the Green Lantern in Natchez one Saturday night, listening to The Shame, and somebody pulled a knife and somebody threw the bottle. And the next thing I knew I had a calculus book in my lap and a slide rule in my hand.

Are you Sir Isaac Newton?! I had you pictured as having long, flowing and wavy hair.

Believe it or not. It was the free ticket promotion when i was a kid. My dad started taking me to the free games and we got hooked.

Originally posted by AztecIndian:

Originally posted by TUMe:

Are you Sir Isaac Newton?! I had you pictured as having long, flowing and wavy hair.

Nah, but I do like apple pie. Actually, that's a Johnny Cash song with a few words changed. My story is pretty boring. I grew up a few miles from TU. I didn't have a bunch of money and science and engineering jobs paid good and TU was known for that. Actually, it worked for four days. I got a job but President Nixon made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Low salary but travel and free clothes.

On second, thought I still like the story about Saturday night at the Green Lantern in Natchez better. It would be more likely that my sister had the long flowing hair, but I am an only child.....

When I was in high school, I knew that I wanted to go to a small school, but I thought it would be one of the regional Christian schools not the campus across town. That all changed after a TU admissions counselor came to school to sign people up for visits and talked me into one. I stepped onto campus and knew that this was the place for me. It didn't hurt that my tour guide was a cute girl and that they set me up with the out-going Captain Cane for lunch. The big kicker though was the fact that TU gave me more scholarships than anyone else. I've never regretted the decision to "stay home" and in fact many of the good things in my life began at TU. Its where I met my wife, my 9 year mascot career started, and I made the connections to get my current job.

Back in the 70's, My dad helped manage some of the apartments Just to the west of the original "U" . They're long gone now, but sat just about where the south end of the soccer complex is now.

Anyway, I'd come over & help him with some of the stuff and he'd let me walk over to the campus to "look around". It was awe inspiring for a 16 year old to walk the sidewalks and absorb all that Higher Learning atmosphere.

I came up on the old practice field, and the team was practicing, so I sat around to watch. That hooked me, and TU has been my "Alma Mater" ever since. It took me another 20years before I attended my first class, but I've never regretted becoming a Hurricane.

Grew going to football games and the Nolan era of basketball.

Only two schools offered my degree besides TU: I didnt have a chance at Yale and got wait listed at Stanford. The soccer team played a role in the decision as well of course.

My brother transferred to TU at Xmas of my senior year in high school, so it was an easy decision at that point.

Later in life my father told me I really didn't have a choice anyway.
This post was edited on 11/1 11:35 AM by HuffyCane

I was born here but raised in Cincinnati. I moved back to Tulsa when I was 15 and got to see some great basketball games (sweet 16, elite 8 teams). I became a huge fan. I applied to 4 colleges being accepted to 3 and wait list at Princeton. Cincinnati, Xavier and Tulsa where my other 3. Tulsa being the closest and cheapest played a huge factor and the fact they had a good international business program played a huge part. When I finally walked to campus I fell in love. The beauty of this campus is astounding.

I lived a block south of the stadium growing up, so some of my earlier memories are of being allowed to park cars and make some money during TU football games. My dad got his masters degree from TU in engineering and taught there for a time. He also brought me to more football and basketball games (then at the fairgrounds pavilion) than I could count. The highlight was meeting Howard Twilley after a service at Sharp Chapel.

So the groundwork was laid. I looked at other schools such as OSU, OU, and Missouri - Rolla, but decided on the chemical engineering department at TU over the other choices. I do not regret my choice and believe it has benefitted me in many ways over my lifetime.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT