ADVERTISEMENT

Houston

Pac12 football would be fine without UCLA, they have a big and engaged alumni base but aren't a national presence like USC and have sucked for a long time. USC would be harder, and it's untenable for the Pac12 to have no presence in Southern California, but with the growth of other teams and USC's recent issues, competitively the league would still be a top league. There's plenty of money outside USC so it's not like the Big12 without Texas. It would hurt for sure but the league would be ok. The Pac12 has enough depth that I don't think there are 2 teams that would bring it down.

The PAC12 has it's own issues. Average attendance last year was under 52k. Their network is a mess and losing money due to it's inability to attract viewers. It's one thing to be in big markets. It's another thing when people in those big markets don't give a damn about college sports.

ACC's average attendance last year was under 50k btw.

1) The Big10 does not want OU.

2) OU and Texas are the best in the Big12 and the others are also rans? Seems to me that Baylor and TCU have proven otherwise. Baylor is questionable this year but Patterson will keep TCU on top until at least 2022.

3) I would love to see OU and Texas in the SEC.

4) As much as I hate Houston they have had some sustained success. They have shown a serious commitment to athletics with rand new stadium. They have had some big time wins , something that we have not been able to do. They also bring the 43,000 students and the 10th largest TV market. The P5 is about money and Houston will bring it.
Houston doesn't deliver anything in terms of TV market...Texas delivers the Houston market to the Big XII and A&M delivers it for the SEC.

Of those 43,000 students roughly 38,000 are commuters. That makes them roughly the equivalent of the Houston branch of the University of Phoenix. UofP might be better academically

looking at the current list of potential teams for the big12; Other schools that will make presentations to the conference according to the report include: Boise State, Cincinnati, Colorado State, East Carolina, Houston, Memphis, New Mexico, Northern Illinois, South Florida, SMU, Temple, Tulane, UCF and UConn.

Why are we not also there?

We may be.
Exactly. We weren't exactly public about our AAC interest until it was a certainty and ready to be announced. AF wasn't in the initial list but is now and yet they were public about not being interested because they didn't feel they could compete because of their restrictions and needing to recruit military personnel that can play football rather than football players that take 4 yrs of remedial 1st grade math

Exactly. We weren't exactly public about our AAC interest until it was a certainty and ready to be announced. AF wasn't in the initial list but is now and yet they were public about not being interested because they didn't feel they could compete because of their restrictions and needing to recruit military personnel that can play football rather than football players that take 4 yrs of remedial 1st grade math

Let me know when that happens. We should ask to present, we haven't yet.

looking at the current list of potential teams for the big12; Other schools that will make presentations to the conference according to the report include: Boise State, Cincinnati, Colorado State, East Carolina, Houston, Memphis, New Mexico, Northern Illinois, South Florida, SMU, Temple, Tulane, UCF and UConn.

Why are we not also there?

Because Tulsa isn't committed to playing big time football. Actions speak louder than words.

Because Tulsa isn't committed to playing big time football. Actions speak louder than words.

You're picking fights with our v.i.'s. It's not October 10. Crawl back in your hole until then.

Last edited:
Tulsa and TCU are pretty close from an aggregate profile. Academics are of greater priority at TU than TCU, but both are small private universities, with much larger in state football followings (UT, A&M, Tech). So it's not technically absurd to include us in the discussion. I don't think we'll ever get an invite to the big 12 or whatever it's called now, but even if we did, it'd be akin to the same crowd allocations we currently see whenever OU or OSU comes to town. 30% Tulsa, 70% other guys. I'm proud to have graduated from TU because of our commitment to academics. I don't think we'd have a leg to stand on if we switched from academia to athletics and lowered the entrance standards to allow players with only a football IQ to matriculate through our curriculum.

It would be interesting to see how many schools would still be interested in a diminished Big 12 without Texas, OU and possibly OSU.

It would be interesting to see how many schools would still be interested in a diminished Big 12 without Texas, OU and possibly OSU.
Big 12 with no ou and texas:
KU to the big 10.
Tcu, baylor, tt, osu to the pac12
Ksu, isu?
WV to the acc

Baylor is a really tough sell right now to other conferences. Heck...it's a hard sell to the Big12.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Regardless of what the not-so-big 12 does, OU should bail to the SEC. I don't see the PAC going after OSU as last time they didn't want OSU and their academics was an issue, that hasn't changed. TCU and Baylor - yes. I think Texas might end up in the Big 10 with Kansas, if they give up their tv contract. OSU maybe is a good choice to the Mountain. I think the not-so-big 12 looks to then add Houston, plus 3 others. If osu leaves then they will add another. TU looks good in this picture with a watered down not-so-big 12. At this point OSU if they stay will be the big dog along with new comer Houston. If the American can keep their teams long enough to watch the big 12 implosion then they might be able to grab some good teams for their western division and become a P5 Conference by default. Since at this point we are all in a dream land, this one works for me!!!

Because donors* aren't committed.
Tulsa also won't plunder $100M from the general operating budget to out towards the athletic dept (per DMN) relegating it's academic programs to community college status (except for Hotel and Restaurant Services because we all need busboys and linen changers in life).

Reactions: TU 1978
Tulsa and TCU are pretty close from an aggregate profile. Academics are of greater priority at TU than TCU, but both are small private universities, with much larger in state football followings (UT, A&M, Tech). So it's not technically absurd to include us in the discussion. I don't think we'll ever get an invite to the big 12 or whatever it's called now, but even if we did, it'd be akin to the same crowd allocations we currently see whenever OU or OSU comes to town. 30% Tulsa, 70% other guys. I'm proud to have graduated from TU because of our commitment to academics. I don't think we'd have a leg to stand on if we switched from academia to athletics and lowered the entrance standards to allow players with only a football IQ to matriculate through our curriculum.

TCU is twice as big as Tulsa and has had success that we can barely dream about. They took a long, hard road to the Big12 and it included wins over big time programs. They were very lucky to get a guy like Patterson who wanted to build a program, and has succeeded.

As far as academics go TCU is ranked slightly higher than TU by US News and World Report and has a 48% acceptance rate vs. 40% at TU. It isn't a slouch school by any means. The biggest difference is the commitment to the program. Our fans and donors and administration can't seem to stay true during a lean year. Theirs have.

We are way more like SMU than TCU.

TCU has always seemed a little more blue collar. Agreed they took a long hard road and fought their way in on the field. One of the few shuffles in conference realignment you can say actually earned their spot.

Their endowment is also 50% larger than TU's.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT