ADVERTISEMENT

Houston vs. Florida State

jesterondirt

I.T.S. Offensive Coordinator
Sep 28, 2006
UH up 21-3, 4 minutes before the half. Their defense is looking top 5 right now, and play calling on offense has been second to none.

With the rediculous recruiting class Houston has coming in, we're witnessing the beginning of something great in Houston. This is impressive.

Could not be less surprised.

FSU already given up more points in less than one half than their season average for an entire game.

FSU is also minus their top 2 QBs, not that it would make a difference the way Houston's D is playing. I can't tell for sure but HOU is leaving their DBs on man coverage and rolling safeties up to stop Cook and they have been pretty successful so far. One more score and HOU effectively had eliminated Cook from this game. Also, FSU can't block HOU's defensive front. McGuire and Consantino have been running for their lives all game.

P.S. Shocked Maguire is back in after his injury earlier.

One thing is for certain...TU needs to step up the recruiting effort to get close to the speed Houston is showing on D

I'm not surprised Houston is playing well and has the lead but I'm a little surprised how dominate they've been in the first half.

Reactions: TUBballJunkie
You all complain about Dane's accuracy. Ward, Jr. is worse. He has made several throws today that have limited the receiver's YAC ability when they had tons of space.

Houston needs to stop running the edges. FSU has more than enough speed to take away the edges and Houston has struggled to get back to the LOS on the edge plays (sweeps and screens) that I have seen. Houston has been most successful when they've moved the pocket for Ward. The FSU LBs start to cheat up and leave the space behind them open.

Is Ward even in the top half of the league for passing?

That's def not how he beats you.

I think Ayers is as good as Garrett. Maybe better bc he's more versatile with his speed around the edges.

Is Ward even in the top half of the league for passing?

That's def not how he beats you.

I think Ayers is as good as Garrett. Maybe better bc he's more versatile with his speed around the edges.
I wouldn't disagree with any of that. I don't think Houston uses Ayers the same way we use Key though so it's a tough comparison. Ayers is more like Keevan in using his speed and savvy to find space. Key is using his speed and size to create space and win at the ball. It's sort of a Calvin Johnson/Golden Tate complement. I'm hoping Hobbs can be the physical deep threat next year and let Keevan and Atkinsons continue doing their thing.

Houston's DBs are really freaking good. Not only are they good in coverage, they actually make the INT when they have a play on the ball. Lot of NFL teams coming for those guys

Reactions: TUBballJunkie
Houston has turned FSU's offense into our offense from 2 yrs ago when Green was the QB. We couldn't run the ball effectively and couldn't throw it worth a lick.

Of course the excuse during the halftime show was that FSU isn't up for the game

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Houston's DBs are really freaking good. Not only are they good in coverage, they actually make the INT when they have a play on the ball. Lot of NFL teams coming for those guys

And they have the speed to close on the receiver as in the 2 under thrown int's. I'd just love to have their entire defense. With our offense we'd be pretty darn good.

And they have the speed to close on the receiver as in the 2 under thrown int's. I'd just love to have their entire defense. With our offense we'd be pretty darn good.

I'd take their defense minus that DB that just blew the coverage on the Fla St TD. Lol

1/2 their D and we are really good. Ward as an athlete is pretty superior, but as a QB, which is what FSU has turned him into this half, he's pretty avg. People have not given Dane the credit he deserves because of the overall W-L record as a started when he is not the reason TU hasn't been successful (not has the rest of the offense for that matter).

Houston has pretty much set the bar for the AAC. I know UCF beat Baylor in the Fiesta a couple of years ago but Florida St defense is top 5 IMO, Baylor's wasn't top 5 in the Big XII that year. Houston has just played a solid, steady game and limited mistakes and did what they needed to do against FSU's one true offensive weapon.

The American has been an embarrassment in the post season. I'm glad for a small bit of redemption.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gmoney4WW
I felt Houston was by far the best team in our conference and only lost at Conn when the QB got hurt. They have the best defensive backs i have seen on one team in a long time.. Congrats to our AAU teammates

We old-school Tulsa fans will never pull for Houston, ever.
I agree..can't stand Houston at all, however, they look tremendous today. At least it makes our conference look good and TU has a ways to go to match Houston's O & D-Line talent and DB's playing ability. Houston U. has really made a tremendous commitment to improve their quality of football....coaches salaries and facility upgrades. Marketing wise the fans showed up at their stadium and supported them. Tulsa has to get more fans to show up and get more love from the administration.

BlueOx, really just pulling for a conference mate. The fact it is Houston makes it tough. Now we will have to endure the stupidity of "Houston should be in the Big XII" talk

I know you're new here, but if you had been at TU in the 60's or had family members there at that time you would never pull for Houston either. Conference affiliation goes out the window sometimes.

Reactions: Tulsa76
I know you're new here, but if you had been at TU in the 60's or had family members there at that time you would never pull for Houston either. Conference affiliation goes out the window sometimes.
Not so new to rooting for TU but I can't say I go back to the 60's/70's either. My personal TU experience begins with Fall of '92 so the series from that point has been fairly even. I can understand how anyone who witnessed or was a fan of TU when Coug High ran up the 100-6 score might be a little forever pissed at them. Pretty low class for them to run the score like that. I don't like them b/c the fan base, at least the idiots who post here, are arrogant beyond simple school pride.

Not so new to rooting for TU but I can't say I go back to the 60's/70's either. My personal TU experience begins with Fall of '92 so the series from that point has been fairly even. I can understand how anyone who witnessed or was a fan of TU when Coug High ran up the 100-6 score might be a little forever pissed at them. Pretty low class for them to run the score like that. I don't like them b/c the fan base, at least the idiots who post here, are arrogant beyond simple school pride.

My family has been affiliated with the university since the mid 1940's. Houston, Wichita and Arkansas will always be the evil trio.

Reactions: Tulsa76 and TU_BLA
I was at the 'Dome in mid-eighties for the 82-28 beatdown they laid on us so make me Sec/Treas of the "Hate the Cougars Always" club. (membership is free & no minutes are taken at meetings) TU Football: 1st,last,always!

Or the 100 - 6 game.

Glenn Dobbs was asked "what was the turning point of the game?".

his response was "when we got off the bus".

My family has been affiliated with the university since the mid 1940's. Houston, Wichita and Arkansas will always be the evil trio.
Not being from Oklahoma, I have never liked OU and coming to TU made me hate them all the more...OSU and Pat Jones quickly elevated to the same level for me.

My 2 cents, I hope we use the proceeds we get from their bowl appearance to completely derail their chances of defending their conference championship next year.

I saw Houston as the lesser of 2 evils. I always enjoy when a P5 team goes down to a "lesser" team. Plus I will always root for a conference team against a non-conference foe, especially when it is a P5 team x2 when that team is from Florida.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT