ADVERTISEMENT

Houston Game

alchemy

I.T.S. Senior
Apr 21, 2004
Man, nothing like starting out league play with a tough one. I'm wondering the effect of having only one game in 17 days prior to the road game with the Cougs. Houston on the other hand has three games in the same 17 days. Two of which are against quality teams. I hope the guys don't eat too much Christmas pudding during the break.

On the positive side, hopefully it will allow Tap time to get back to 100% from whatever ankle issue he had earlier in the year. Plus, I think a couple other players, like Joiner, have had some minor tweaks that some rest should help with.

I just hope we don't come out sluggish after such a long break. I've always felt that teams aren't really at their best when they have to sit for a long period of time.

Man, nothing like starting out league play with a tough one. I'm wondering the effect of having only one game in 17 days prior to the road game with the Cougs. Houston on the other hand has three games in the same 17 days. Two of which are against quality teams. I hope the guys don't eat too much Christmas pudding during the break.
It can’t ever be as bad as the game we played at the HS gym against them last year

I saw our elite 8 team lose to ORU. I never check a "W" on that game.

Reactions: tufan56
I saw our elite 8 team lose to ORU. I never check a "W" on that game.

But that day Richard hired three of his "prayer partners" to referee the game. I'm not sure they have that sort of slush fund today.

But that day Richard hired three of his "prayer partners" to referee the game. I'm not sure they have that sort of slush fund today.

To this day I’ve never seen a worse string of bad calls. Something was fishy that day

On the other hand, kitty is overrated.

I'd love to agree, but when their on kitty is a damn good team (pains me to say it). Let's hope it's not a night that their on their game when we play them, though I think defensively if we're on ours we can certainly help that situation. We definitely will need our shots to fall, and a late Christmas gift (officiating crew that we had for K-State) would help. They need to win every game except the ones against us...

It will be difficult to split with them. Doubly difficult to beat them on the road.

I think a W in Houston is possible, although not likely.

K State had a nice 11 point win over a decent Vandy team in the Sprint Center tonight. That W will continue to smell sweet. Really need Dayton to contend in the A10 and for OSU to finish in the middle of the Big 12.

SIU continues to flail. That L and Utah will be a blemish on TU's resume.

Utah is bad but, the commitee knowsntheir rep and it won’t hurt as bad as we think.
Haith plans well for big games so I think we have a legit shot.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
This team isn’t playing its best ball. Not even close. That gives me optimism going into Houston. Need to get Moore going. If we had another shooter, dang.

According to ESPN Coppin St has a 0.5% chance to win against Houston. A little generous if you ask me!

This team isn’t playing its best ball. Not even close. That gives me optimism going into Houston. Need to get Moore going. If we had another shooter, dang.
They’ll be ok against the Coogs. That’s a winnable game and the last month says they will be ready with a week to prepare.

I don’t like to look ahead, but the travel schedule in February could be a factor. For those of you who are worrying about a bad loss, we play at Tulane on a Thursday, then turn around and fly to Wilmington for a Sunday game. ECU could be a trap game.

They’ll be ok against the Coogs. That’s a winnable game and the last month says they will be ready with a week to prepare.

I don’t like to look ahead, but the travel schedule in February could be a factor. For those of you who are worrying about a bad loss, we play at Tulane on a Thursday, then turn around and fly to Wilmington for a Sunday game. ECU could be a trap game.

Greenville?

I guess if we fly to Wilmington NC it would only be about a 2 and half hour bus ride, although Raleigh would be an easier trip. In the 90’s the football team played ECU and a Tulsa World or Tibune reporter booked his flight to Greenville (Spartanburg SC). He had a 6-7 hour drive to Greenville NC!

Last edited:
Like II said, this would be the biggest win since @SMU in 2016. We're gonna be double-digit underdogs. But maybe a couple reasons for optimism?

This Houston team plays slow and wins games with their defense. I think we've shown we can beat teams like that in a rock fight.

Houston ranks 207th in 3-point percentage. They've shot about as poorly as we have so far. Armoni Brooks will probably torch us, but he's the only shooter they've got.

They're a small team. Like us, Houston's starting frontcourt goes 6-5/6-8. Unlike us, they crash the glass aggressively.

It'll take our best game of the season to win this one, but you can imagine how it would go down if we did. If nothing else, I feel pretty good that we won't get a repeat of last year's 104-71 beatdown.

Like II said, this would be the biggest win since @SMU in 2016. We're gonna be double-digit underdogs. But maybe a couple reasons for optimism?

This Houston team plays slow and wins games with their defense. I think we've shown we can beat teams like that in a rock fight.

Houston ranks 207th in 3-point percentage. They've shot about as poorly as we have so far. Armoni Brooks will probably torch us, but he's the only shooter they've got.

They're a small team. Like us, Houston's starting frontcourt goes 6-5/6-8. Unlike us, they crash the glass aggressively.

It'll take our best game of the season to win this one, but you can imagine how it would go down if we did. If nothing else, I feel pretty good that we won't get a repeat of last year's 104-71 beatdown.

Didn’t they make something like 18 threes in last years game too?

In the NET rankings, probably. In the other metric based rankings, I'm not so sure. Sagarin has them at 33 (making them a 10+ point home favorite over Tulsa). Various RPI sites have them just under 25.

12-0. 10+ point wins over Northwestern, BYU, and Oklahoma State. Throw in good wins over Oregon LSU, SLU and Utah State. Then they have handily beat the teams they should, generally as they should (they ended up beating a down Coppin St. by 30+). They didn't drop games to sub 100 RPI teams, they didn't play close to California Baptist. They just win.

I'm not saying Tulsa can't win this game. I think we can. But Kitty is playing some ball this year. Credit where due, our win will be all the sweeter.

Does anyone know if Haith has gotten the boys back in the gym? 11 days no games is a long stretch. A win in Houston will be HUGE. Like Donald Trump HUGE!!!

Does anyone know if Haith has gotten the boys back in the gym? 11 days no games is a long stretch. A win in Houston will be HUGE. Like Donald Trump HUGE!!!

In the ORU post game they were discussing this with Joiner. The players got to go home Sunday the 23rd and then were to come back to campus by the 27th for practice to resume.

The Haiths left to Florida for a Christmas vacation with Frank and Corey returning back to Tulsa on the 26th.

Reactions: loca2874
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT