ADVERTISEMENT

Houston and UCONN

Yep. When the bottom of the league is +200 any loss by a top team to them hurts us. I hope the guys are able to stay focused on Thursday and avoid the upset.

Coug gives UConn the shocker.

My how UConn has fallen from grace.

Originally posted by nevadanatural:
Yep. When the bottom of the league is +200 any loss by a top team to them hurts us. I hope the guys are able to stay focused on Thursday and avoid the upset.
The most important thing is the standings in the AAC. The more separation at the top, the better. Tulsa now has a three game lead over the 3rd place teams. Also I like Houston winning ...good for the league to have more balance. Just not Thursday.
This post was edited on 2/1 4:22 PM by I.I.

UCONN's loss also drops them to 6th place. If that holds, they don't get a bye which diminishes their home court advantage in the tournament.

Im glad this happened.

Nice wake up call for our team. You knew stuff like this was going to start happening in Feb.

We have three trap games left. If we can avoid losses to UH, ECU and Tulane we are in good shape.

Originally posted by ba11game:
UCONN's loss also drops them to 6th place. If that holds, they don't get a bye which diminishes their home court advantage in the tournament.
Yes it does, plus it makes it harder for Coach Ollie to get them up for games as their season is starting to no longer matter.

TX

IMO this will be the most important week so far. We will play a revitalized Houston there and turn right around and host SMU. If we overlook UH, it could be disaster and if we aren't ready for a donnybrook with SMU . . . the same result. BIG WEEK!

This reminds me of the MVC, where the teams often knocked each other off.

Why aren't other conferences penalized for this in terms of rankings?

Because other conferences top teams aren't being knocked off by teams that are 200+ in RPI. If the bottom of AAC won 65%+ of their OOC games then it wouldn't penalize the top.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by cmullinsTU:
Sorry won 65%+ in OOC against a strength of schedule that isn't 150+.
Phrased another way, the basement of the Big XII was 13-0 and 10-3 non conference. As one league example.

this is the second year straight Houston beat UConn at their place. I think the won by a lager margin last year against the eventual national champion.

All of a sudden everyone is worried about @Houston on Thursday. Fact is, Houston is not very good at all. They play little defense and their half court offense is very "incoherent" if you will. Everyone is giving UCONN credit for the name on the from of the jersey instead of the players on the court. Fact: UCONN is not very good. Defensively they are pretty poor. Offensively they need Boatright to carry them and if he isn't playing well UCONN is pretty average. Brimah is big...that's about all I can say on him. Hamilton, IMO, is the next best player and then there is a large drop-off.

UCONN absolutely folds when they get punched in the mouth. They start taking worse and worse shots, missing multiple defensive assignments, and committing abismal fouls.

Houston now has that little bit of confidence to beat the contenders and everyone wants to play the undefeated leader. They will give us everything they have. Beware if they get an early lead.

Originally posted by I.I.:

Houston now has that little bit of confidence to beat the contenders and everyone wants to play the undefeated leader. They will give us everything they have. Beware if they get an early lead.
I don't doubt we have a target and Houston will be amped to play us in an empty arena. Make no mistake...UCONN won the championship LAST year. They are not contenders in this league nor to make the NCAA tournament right now. They have holes everywhere that somehow were not identified in non-conference games. Their bench depth is pretty bad and they drop off significantly on defense when they bring anyone off the bench. IMO, Hamilton is the scariest player on the team...but he is still a FR and you can see that when he plays. Brimah is soft when it comes to being a 7-footer. He does not scare me at all.

Originally posted by TU_BLA:
All of a sudden everyone is worried about @Houston on Thursday. Fact is, Houston is not very good at all. They play little defense and their half court offense is very "incoherent" if you will. Everyone is giving UCONN credit for the name on the from of the jersey instead of the players on the court. Fact: UCONN is not very good. Defensively they are pretty poor. Offensively they need Boatright to carry them and if he isn't playing well UCONN is pretty average. Brimah is big...that's about all I can say on him. Hamilton, IMO, is the next best player and then there is a large drop-off.
Plus they got their first conference win so they won't be so crazy about pulling off that first win. Honestly think that win helps us out.

They are well coached by someone with no respect for rules. They will pull every trick possible. It's a trap game.

I'm not unhappy UH won and expect the Coogs to be brimming with confidence. A good start by TU will take that confidence away quickly. And, the W over UConn should focus our guys on the task at hand. I expect a grind but a W.

I'm with I.I., TRAP GAME DELUXE!!!!!!!!!!!!

The win by Houston should help the coach talk but tons of people(friends, family, media, etc.) are singing our praises and that's extremely tough to get around when your a player.

Originally posted by Cairns824:

Originally posted by TU_BLA:

Plus they got their first conference win so they won't be so crazy about pulling off that first win. Honestly think that win helps us out.
+1
For the same related principle I want SMU to beat Cinccy. Psychologically gives us a better chance than after a loss to Cinncy.

Originally posted by astonmartin708:
UCONN absolutely folds when they get punched in the mouth. They start taking worse and worse shots, missing multiple defensive assignments, and committing abismal fouls.
I think a better way of looking at it is that they play to their competition. They also overlook them too. Their game against Cinncinati they played pretty well, but still lost. Against Houston, they played like crap.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT