ADVERTISEMENT

high scores

aTUfan

I.T.S. Athletic Director
Apr 18, 2011
la la land
During our game, the commentators seemed like they were laughing at our defense. we got little credit for our comeback from down 24 or that we scored over 50 points ourselves.

now I see that there are more than just a few games where teams have scored 45+.
Maybe our defense is more normal than we think.

Most defenses have no idea how to stop the Spread Attack and teams that run uptempo.

Defenses like Alabama and FSU are able to do it because they dominate the line of scrimmage.

To stop the spread attack you have to be able to handle the running game with a short box. By that I mean 6 defenders in the box. FSU plays a Nickel Defense with 5 defensive backs and 6 defenders in the box to stop the run as its Base Defense. That allows you to commit extra defenders to cover the 4 receivers that are spread out. If you have to commit 7 or 8 defenders to the box to stop the run then you have to lock up man to man and in many cases you have to do it without Safety help. Most college Corners simply can't do it. It's a numbers game. The really good defensive teams have great Defensive Linemen that are hard to block and they have Corners that can play Man to Man coverage. Spread Offenses will kill Zone Defenses.

So giving up 50 points is kind of the norm. There are a handful of defenses that can lock down. Namely FSU, Bama and Florida I think are the best defenses in the country.

When has Alabama played against good spread offenses in the SEC recently? If they had to play offenses from the PAC 12 or Big 12 on a regular basis with only one week to prepare, they would be giving up a lot more points than they are now.
Or when they did play a good spread O 2-3 years ago in Auburn, they lost. I wouldn't say Auburn quite has the same offensive efficiency right now because they don't have a QB to run it the way Malzahn wants it run. Alabama is going to take it to Michigan St but OU or Clemson have the advantage in a short prep period. OU probably has a bigger advantage because Mayfield simply doesn't go down on the first hit and his biggest strength is improv. But OUs D can be had as well as shown by the way we moved the ball.

Most defenses have no idea how to stop the Spread Attack and teams that run uptempo.

Defenses like Alabama and FSU are able to do it because they dominate the line of scrimmage.

To stop the spread attack you have to be able to handle the running game with a short box. By that I mean 6 defenders in the box. FSU plays a Nickel Defense with 5 defensive backs and 6 defenders in the box to stop the run as its Base Defense. That allows you to commit extra defenders to cover the 4 receivers that are spread out. If you have to commit 7 or 8 defenders to the box to stop the run then you have to lock up man to man and in many cases you have to do it without Safety help. Most college Corners simply can't do it. It's a numbers game. The really good defensive teams have great Defensive Linemen that are hard to block and they have Corners that can play Man to Man coverage. Spread Offenses will kill Zone Defenses.

So giving up 50 points is kind of the norm. There are a handful of defenses that can lock down. Namely FSU, Bama and Florida I think are the best defenses in the country.
When Alabama played Tex A&M that first and second year they joined the SEC they gave up a SH%$ load of points against the spread O.

Florida gave up 41(note Mich doesn't have a spread O) and FSU 38. Alabama only played two teams with spread offenses. Ole Miss, Bama gave up 37 and lost and Tex A&M, Bama gave up 23 and won.

Good luck against a good spread O.

GO TU!!!!!

Reactions: TUBballJunkie
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT