ADVERTISEMENT

Hello??

Hola! I'm ready for some bball news. Only 3 months until the season starts.

Hello_o_95886.jpg

Believe Edogi will be a force, as well as Etou. Etou had offers from Kansas, Maryland, and West Virginia out of high school. First time in a while we'll have a top 150 player, Etou was #139.

We'll be stronger inside imo. Guard play will be the question mark. Taplin needs to be much improved. He showed flashes last year, and had some nifty passes. Showed potential for 3pt shot at Memphis.

As for the newcomers, I think Korita and Igbanu will have the most impact. Artison looks solid, as well. Henderson and Wheeler are unknowns. Birt avg'd 17 in juco play, and played very well last year, although somewhat inconsistent. Wheeler avg'd 22 in juco, so we'll see how that translates.

Starting 5 - Taplin, Korita, Birt, Etou, and Edogi. I think all but Korita are locks to start. Could be Wheeler, Henderson, or Atson instead.

This year will show how good of a coach Haith is. He'll have to coach this team up more than any of his previous teams. Need to get a commitment from Landrum, reminds me very much of Dante Swanson.

Taplin's defense is what I want to see. I think he runs the point better anyone we've had in a long time.

I am cautiously optimistic on the bigs. I've always been a big TK fan.

I think one of the JUCOs will start at the fifth unclaimed spot to start the year, but I want one of the freshmen to take it away.

If you can figure out our recruiting for next year, you need to get off this board and go to Vegas or Wall Street.

Believe Edogi will be a force...

As for the newcomers, I think Korita and Igbanu will have the most impact. Artison looks solid, as well. Henderson and Wheeler are unknowns. Birt avg'd 17 in juco play, and played very well last year, although somewhat inconsistent. Wheeler avg'd 22 in juco, so we'll see how that translates.

Starting 5 - Taplin, Korita, Birt, Etou, and Edogi. I think all but Korita are locks to start. Could be Wheeler, Henderson, or Atson instead.

Taplin's defense is what I want to see. I think he runs the point better anyone we've had in a long time.

I am cautiously optimistic on the bigs. I've always been a big TK fan.

I think one of the JUCOs will start at the fifth unclaimed spot to start the year, but I want one of the freshmen to take it away.

If you can figure out our recruiting for next year, you need to get off this board and go to Vegas or Wall Street.

Good comments all! With so many new players, and not knowing who is
emerging in the pre-preseason workouts, it is hard to determine much
past TK, Birt, and Taplin as potential starters.

It would be hard to visualize a line-up that had both Etou and TK-Either
as starters, or subsequently.....That would mean you would have two
players on the court together that have little (or no) shooting range.....
Etou's shooting percentages at Rutgers say you don't want him shooting
from out on the floor.....

If he is totally recovered from his torn achilles, Artison looks like a very
good 'stretch four' candidate...Igbanu looks to have a high upside, but we
obviously don't know where his level of development is at this time...From
where they were at the end of last season, Battle, Wheeler, and possibly
Henderson will vie for the two guard position....

Korita looks potentially to be a real offensive assassin....The question with
him, is his level of toughness on the boards at this point in his development
far enough along..If he can answer that positively, he can contribute
immediately....

Hard to wait for it all to start!

There are so many possible lineups for this group. Even the JUCOs are coming in as somewhat unknown quantities. If I was going to bet on a RS, I think it would be Igbanu unless the team is just getting murdered on the boards.

Honestly, I'm more excited for the potential of next year's squad than this one. We lose Birt, but we gain a seasoned and hungry Curran Scott fresh off his transfer season, and we have a chance at bringing in another high level guard in Landrum. Add that to everyone having another year of experience and seniors in TK + Etou. That team has the potential to take it to anybody in the country if they're coached correctly.

I expect to see a 10-11 man rotation to start the season then going down to 8-9 by conference play. With our fast style you need to move them in and out. It makes no difference who starts, it's who earns minutes at crunch time.

Reactions: Bill Lowery
There are so many possible lineups for this group. Even the JUCOs are coming in as somewhat unknown quantities. If I was going to bet on a RS, I think it would be Igbanu unless the team is just getting murdered on the boards.

Honestly, I'm more excited for the potential of next year's squad than this one. We lose Birt, but we gain a seasoned and hungry Curran Scott fresh off his transfer season, and we have a chance at bringing in another high level guard in Landrum. Add that to everyone having another year of experience and seniors in TK + Etou. That team has the potential to take it to anybody in the country if they're coached correctly.

The only thing said on here by anyone in the know is that Igbanu is really good. No way he redshirts, especially with how our system gets post guys in foul trouble.

The only thing said on here by anyone in the know is that Igbanu is really good. No way he redshirts, especially with how our system gets post guys in foul trouble.
Haven't seen the summer / fall practices... but based off of the tape I saw of him from his SR year in HS, that's just my opinion. Maybe Haith's style fits him better... I could be wrong.

Not sure what tape you saw, but what I saw from Covenant was impressive. He may be a bit raw, but definitely is the best athlete out of the class. The game I watched, he was a beast on the boards, attacked the rim offensively, and had some good blocks. He also had the best offers out of all the commits; Iowa State, Cincinnati, Ole Miss, and Tennessee.

The only thing said on here by anyone in the know is that Igbanu is really
good. No way he redshirts, especially with how our system gets post guys in
foul trouble.

True....Gold*s very valid point on fouls, plus there are other factors involved......
Is Etou big enough to play the five position (competitively, I mean) in the AAC?
He seems more of a power four with short stints at the five as the opponent's
match up will allow....If not, we have TK and who? Magnay may or not be ready.....

I thought early on that Martins might red shirt unless he was completely ready...
Now, I think he won't if he is far enough along to make a positive contribution....

True....Gold*s very valid point on fouls, plus there are other factors involved......
Is Etou big enough to play the five position (competitively, I mean) in the AAC?
He seems more of a power four with short stints at the five as the opponent's
match up will allow....If not, we have TK and who? Magnay may or not be ready.....

I thought early on that Martins might red shirt unless he was completely ready...
Now, I think he won't if he is far enough along to make a positive contribution....
You're forgetting that we also have Artison who can play stretch 4 or 5.

Not sure what tape you saw, but what I saw from Covenant was impressive. He may be a bit raw, but definitely is the best athlete out of the class. The game I watched, he was a beast on the boards, attacked the rim offensively, and had some good blocks. He also had the best offers out of all the commits; Iowa State, Cincinnati, Ole Miss, and Tennessee.
The game or two I watched, he tended to stand around outside the arc a lot. That may just have been how his high school used him, but I would need to see more tape to really get a good judgement. I watched one or two games where I just thought he was super raw. Sometimes the best athlete just needs a little more time to learn the game. That's why I say he RS's.

"astonmartin708, post: 153911, member: 852"
You're forgetting that we also have Artison who can play stretch 4 or 5.

Not forgetting at all....Artison is a stretch four, or a very tall three....He
is not a five in the AAC....

He would get in hopeless foul trouble trying to play the five....Remember
he came in weighing 205 or so? From his videos,he definitely has a varied
skill set, but most of it revolves around being a tough match-up out on the
floor, or if need be, taking a smaller opponent inside.....

Last edited:
[QUOTE="astonmartin708, post: 153911, member: 852"

Not forgetting at all....Artison is a stretch four, or a very tall three....He
is not a five in the AAC....

He would get in hopeless foul trouble trying to play the five....Remember
he came in weighing 205 or so? From his videos,he definitely has a varied
skill set, but most of it revolves around being a tough match-up out on the
floor, or if need be, taking a smaller opponent inside.....
Swannegan weighed right around 205-210 his entire career at the same height and played exclusively the 5. Artison can play 5. Actually, it would be better if he did. Could you imagine taking a guy like Brimah 25 ft from the basket? It would open up the floor tremendously for our guardset.

Finally found some highlights of Wheeler. He is #11. First highlight is at 48 seconds, then more as video goes along. Looks good offensively, don't know about defense.

I had trouble embedding video, and every time I try just to insert link it shows "Cannot find video" once I've posted. So if you're interested in watching the highlights, just Google video search "Kilgore College 2015-2016" and it's the first video listed.

There are so many possible lineups for this group. Even the JUCOs are coming in as
somewhat unknown quantities. If I was going to bet on a RS, I think it would be Igbanu
unless the team is just getting murdered on the boards.

Honestly, I'm more excited for the potential of next year's squad than this one. We lose
Birt, but we gain a seasoned and hungry Curran Scott fresh off his transfer season, and
we have a chance at bringing in another high level guard in Landrum. Add that to every-
one having another year of experience and seniors in TK + Etou. That team has the
potential to take it to anybody in the country if they're coached correctly.

Yes, if we do have the inside defense and rebounding we are hoping for, the '17-18
season could be a dandy....We should have plenty of offensive fire power....

In addition to TK + Etou, Wheeler and Henderson will also be finishing their eligibility..
Their recruitment did help to balance out the classes somewhat, but the '18 recruiting
class will still be (at least 4) large.....

I'm anxious to get some info on the progress of the team, the new players in
particular....It won't be long now!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT