ADVERTISEMENT

Have to stop playing ORU

I don't believe the urban legend about Oregano wanting to play at TU.

Out coached and out played again. One would think our high dollar coach could recruit and coach as well as our cross town rivals. You should always play your cross town rival. If we can't beat them then changes need to be made, either in coaching or recruiting.
BINGO ! Where was the scholarship offer to OBI ! One hell of a player, better than anything TU 's got.

We need Ray and Birt to infect the whole damn team with their will to win from start to finish. Even Curtis. Those guys play balls out. It irritates the sh1t out me to hear 'they get a good spark off their bench'. Yea, those guys want to play and win. Wright plays hard out of the gate too. If Shaq and Woodard need a 'spark off the bench' then put their a$$es on it!!!

If I remember correctly, Haith tried that. Haith sat Woodard on the bench for a much more extended time than normal, in the latter part of the first half.

Well with about 10 minutes left in the game Woodard had 4 points...

the Elite Eight team lost to them also.... which says we might not ever have the right frame of mind....

If the solution to keeping beat by your little brother is to stop competing against your little brother - it simply means that you are admitting that your little brother is better than you.

Sure, sure. From an RPI perspective it might make some sense to not take the risk. But if you win against them it doesn't hurt your RPI munch anyway. We often play conference mates that end with a worse RPI.

But from a recruiting, attendance, and local respect perspective... it is essential.

Then again, given the fact that our little brother usually is better than us, maybe the "don't play them" crowd has a point. Doesn't Roger's State have a team we could play? Maybe the Generals?

Sad thing is, even with two in-town rivals and a hyped up moniker: "mayor's cup", our arena was woefully emtpy. The high point of the game was coach Montgomery's interview at half-time about going bowling in football.

A couple of things...

Obi wasn't even offered by ORU, coming out of high school. He played as a freshman at Western Illinois, then transferred to ORU.

As far as ending the series because of RPI concerns...that argument doesn't seem to hold water. ORU (most season's) has a decent RPI and I can't ever imagine a scenario where Tulsa is on the at large "bubble", but doesn't make the tourney because of an early season loss to ORU. That is highly, highly unlikely.

Also, the PSO sponsorship/current contract runs AT LEAST two more years, I think. I can't imagine that TU could break the contract before that, simply due to PSO's sponsorship...

Funny, voicetroll has forgotten LAST YEAR when the ORU loss was repeatedly cited by national experts as the reason TU did not make the NCAA. Kill the series. The attendance suggests it won't be missed. NOW leave our board, troll.

Eddie stopped playing TU when it would help OSU's RPI win or lose, ORU never helps the RPI, win or lose. Time to return the favor?

The cross-town university more than likely recruits and accepts kids that could not get past TU's admissions dept.

TX
Two fold stuff here. Emegano has turned into a great player that wasn't highly or widely recruited out of HS. Hmm...Caleb Green anyone? It is a lot easier to get into ORU...have a pulse...they'll take a chance. HOWEVER...ORU has the Honor Code and even athletes are not exempt from it and they've had some good players the last few years who have had to miss games and even been dismissed from the program because of it.

Need to chill folks. Shaq needs to give the ball back to Birt immediately after the inbounds with us up 2 and let Birt get fouled and take the FTs. Even after that, they denied Emegano and Bradley the ball and a 6'8" 270 lb defensive linemen hits a 3 with a 3" vertical? I can't imagine Haith could draw it up and plan it any better. Even the game winner, Emegano was doubled by Shaq and Wright and he was still able to get a shot off.

Two fold stuff here. Emegano has turned into a great player that wasn't highly or widely recruited out of HS. Hmm...Caleb Green anyone? It is a lot easier to get into ORU...have a pulse...they'll take a chance. HOWEVER...ORU has the Honor Code and even athletes are not exempt from it and they've had some good players the last few years who have had to miss games and even been dismissed from the program because of it.

Need to chill folks. Shaq needs to give the ball back to Birt immediately after the inbounds with us up 2 and let Birt get fouled and take the FTs. Even after that, they denied Emegano and Bradley the ball and a 6'8" 270 lb defensive linemen hits a 3 with a 3" vertical? I can't imagine Haith could draw it up and plan it any better. Even the game winner, Emegano was doubled by Shaq and Wright and he was still able to get a shot off.

The fact that the player everyone wants to get more shots including those at the end of the game is shooting 33% from the field speaks volumes to the issues we have with shooting the ball.

Mcane...I'll go away. That's fine.

Just wanted to clarify about Obi. And, we'll agree to disagree about one loss to ORU costing you an at-large bid.

Good luck the rest of the way!

This whole thread cracks me up.. seems like just a couple weeks ago a bunch of posters were bagging on Kansas for not playing WSU every year for the same BS reasons that they now want to avoid playing ORU..

Sure, Losing to ORU is embarrassing.. but here lately I think we have hurt their RPI more than we have helped it.

Sack up or sit down.

Mcane...I'll go away. That's fine.

Just wanted to clarify about Obi. And, we'll agree to disagree about one loss to ORU costing you an at-large bid.

Good luck the rest of the way!
Stick around Voice. Most of us like you. Some on here just can't take getting whooped by praying hands.

Reactions: oruvoice
Sad thing is, even with two in-town rivals and a hyped up moniker: "mayor's cup", our arena was woefully emtpy. The high point of the game was coach Montgomery's interview at half-time about going bowling in football.

A Saturday afternoon game in the middle of December has a ton of potential conflicts. It was opening day of the local youth basketball leagues for one. A night game would have been much better attended, although many fans don't really get interested in basketball until football season is over.

Thanks Barrister! I appreciate the sentiment.

But honestly, my "trash-talking" days are mostly behind me. At 45 years old, coming to the TU board and riling you guys up, just isn't the priority that it used to be.

And honestly, I enjoyed doing PA for you guys last year and don't want to burn any bridges, in case I'm needed to fill in again! :)

Playing with the 2 Woodard brothers Emegano was the odd man out. He repeatedly asked Manning for a scholly but was denied. Instead Manning gave the scholly to Lew Evans. This was a total screw up by Manning.

Evans was fine and not in the same recruiting class. If you are going to complain about Obi, you have to look at the scholarships we gave out Obi's year.

The thing is, Obi is a fifth year senior, so Manning did not recruit him out of high school. The current fourth year seniors were Manning's first class. Obi transferred from Western Illinois to ORU. I guess we could have taken him over the big kid that transferred ( Wojcik signee) or the transfer that lasted a week or so (top 150 recruit).Who knows?

Regardless, Lew Evans is not part of the analysis. Evans was a sophomore transfer the next season. He was a good player, but went back home after his family friend Manning left.

Last edited:
Funny, voicetroll has forgotten LAST YEAR when the ORU loss was repeatedly cited by national experts as the reason TU did not make the NCAA. Kill the series. The attendance suggests it won't be missed. NOW leave our board, troll.
You have alot of Class

Emegano played his Freshman year 2011-2012 at Western Illinois. Led his team in scoring and was seen by Sutton in the same league several times. Transferred after that year to ORU (not sure why unless homesick) That spring he decided to transfer Manning was out signing Ray Harrison and Swilling. Not sure how much contact there was between Manning and Emegano.

Right, so we wouldn't take Harrison, Ray, or Swilling? You can argue hindsight, but that's crazy. Ray was actually a really good recruit that we were lucky to get. Swilling had his issues, but again, that was a pretty good signing at the time. We should have taken Harrison no matter what.

Thanks Barrister! I appreciate the sentiment.

But honestly, my "trash-talking" days are mostly behind me. At 45 years old, coming to the TU board and riling you guys up, just isn't the priority that it used to be.

And honestly, I enjoyed doing PA for you guys last year and don't want to burn any bridges, in case I'm needed to fill in again! :)
U actually did pretty well on PA. Have to give u credit for that. U should keep trolling. Enjoyed seeing u and gold go after it. Mcane is just cranky right now.

I think this thread may have deviated a bit from its premise (the reason I started it).

-I agree it's shady to end the series. I think everyone would agree that it would be crappy at best. However, this happens all the time.

-However, I said in another post within this thread to "expect a change in this series over the next 2-3 years". This lines up with Voice's post regarding the PSO contract...

-There was already gaining momentum to at least change the terms of the series. Wojcik already missed a year of the series. With TU in the American, there will be additional scheduling pressure for TU to optimize RPI.

-ORU has an underrated program nationally with a great coaching staff. They have a passion for this game. As a result, in my opinion, they will win most of these match-ups in the future.

-The City of Tulsa doesn't support this game. The TU players don't like to play it...they never have (or at least they haven't since I went there...in the early '90's).

Reactions: TU 1978
I think this thread may have deviated a bit from its premise (the reason I started it).

-I agree it's shady to end the series. I think everyone would agree that it would be crappy at best. However, this happens all the time.

-However, I said in another post within this thread to "expect a change in this series over the next 2-3 years". This lines up with Voice's post regarding the PSO contract...

-There was already gaining momentum to at least change the terms of the series. Wojcik already missed a year of the series. With TU in the American, there will be additional scheduling pressure for TU to optimize RPI.

-ORU has an underrated program nationally with a great coaching staff. They have a passion for this game. As a result, in my opinion, they will win most of these match-ups in the future.

-The City of Tulsa doesn't support this game. The TU players don't like to play it...they never have (or at least they haven't since I went there...in the early '90's).

crawfish21.jpg

Haith 0-3 vs. ORU. Nolan NEVER lost to ORU. TU has lost this game 6-8 times being favored over the last ten years.

I want it gone and I intend to tell the GHC and the AD personally. I also think Haith should be fired.
Mcane step away from the crack pipe.

I like your posts most of the time, but your going to far on the Haith thing.

No way Haith should be fired.

Your hatred for ORU is unbelievable.

As Gold always said no one cares about Lamar , but I think you can say the same for ORU as well.

GO TU!!!

I accept the criticism, but it doesn't change my position. I let the AD office know how unhappy I was when Voice called one of our games. It made me puke constantly. I don't think he's in line to get that gig again.

Good for people who dress like empty seats. I actually think the students at TU give zero Buzz Petersons about this.

I accept the criticism, but it doesn't change my position. I let the AD office know how unhappy I was when Voice called one of our games. It made me puke constantly. I don't think he's in line to get that gig again.
This has motivated me to contact the AD and demand that Voice be our permanent backup PA announcer. I want to see more puking from you. Your blind hatred is disturbing.

Missouri State by 19 over ORU in Springfield 3 days after TU wins there by 9. Enough said. Kill the series.

Reactions: TU 1978
Missouri State by 19 over ORU in Springfield 3 days after TU wins there by 9. Enough said. Kill the series.
My Gawd you sound like a whiny Lil biotch. If we just take care of business and win then no issue. We get it.... You don't like ORU. But some us enjoy the series and act like men when we get beat instead of spoiled entitled brats. Now take your ball and go home.

Reactions: URedskin54
I mean how else would we have learned about Raptor Jesus?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT