ADVERTISEMENT

Guerin has been reading this forum

It’s not about the mechanics it’s about the optics *shakes head*

It’s not about the mechanics it’s about the optics *shakes head*
hB0D95662

I think it's just good to have one more person supporting TU athletics who isn't getting paid to be there. (She would get free tuition if her parent worked at the school anyway)

I think it's just good to have one more person supporting TU athletics who isn't getting paid to be there. (She would get free tuition if her parent worked at the school anyway)

But if their parent passed through Waco anytime in the last ten years that student must be disqualified from everything. You should know that by now, aston.

Gawd we suck, we are bickering about silly things like it’s the off-season.

Little Monty got the spot because of his dad, there’s 3 or 4 better WRs on the squad who never play

Little Lady Monty is actually a talented cheerleader, likely one of the best on the squad.

Now let’s discuss how we will manage to lose to Navy.

Yes; though that 4th down call was huge and it basically decided the game. We wouldn't have been in overtime if it weren't for that call.

I also think there were certainly some defensive no-calls on their side that were huge as well. The 4th down stop in the endzone was legitimate, though it was pretty ticky tacky. It seemed like the refs were searching for some way to let SMU get an offensive touchdown on that drive since they hadn't had one all day at that point.

I agree that 4th down call was the big momentum changer. If that is called correctly, I think we win going away. My question is why didn’t we challenge the spot. TV replays showed it was obviously short. We should have at least called timeout & tried to force a review.

Who is the player that would be a better 5th receiver? I'm just saying that I haven't seen or heard about anyone farther down the depth chart that exceptional to the point they should be that guy. And it's not like Cannon Montgomery has done poorly when he's been in. He had an ok catch against OK state I believe or maybe it was Wyoming. Not sure. As far as him holding, I don't really care. Does someone else want the holder gig? Let them compete.
I'd say stewart is a better receiver. And if there isn't a better receiver, then J Johnson, and Santana should be splitting backup duty for three positions. Two better equipped receivers can easily handle backing up three spots and/or going out there when there is a set for four receivers.

I'd say stewart is a better receiver. And if there isn't a better receiver, then J Johnson, and Santana should be splitting backup duty for three positions. Two better equipped receivers can easily handle backing up three spots and/or going out there when there is a set for four receivers.
Stewart is an outside receiver. There's no reason for him to be in the slot on 5 wides. I would say J Johnson or Santana should be out there but they're numbers 3 and 4 so they already are. I think Jarion Anderson is the only correct answer to this.

Stewart is an outside receiver. There's no reason for him to be in the slot on 5 wides. I would say J Johnson or Santana should be out there but they're numbers 3 and 4 so they already are. I think Jarion Anderson is the only correct answer to this.
I couldn't remember if Jarion Anderson got his eligibility back, or I would have mentioned him. And you are ignoring the talent level of all the youngish pups this far into the season, just like Monty.

As time has faded and worse performances have piled on, people forget how wildly inconsistent and flat bad that first year was. Some of that was a new coaching staff and installing new concepts and terminology but there was plenty of the same stuff going on then as now. They played one heck of a game against OU. They played a nationally ranked Houston team tough. But needed OT at home to beat FAU while giving up over 40 points to a CUSA team. Against ULM they were up 20-7 at half. Coasted. Fell behind 24-20 and need a late drive by Dane and Flanders to get a win over a Sun Belt team that finished 2-11. They lost to a 5-7 ECU team that shut them out for the first three quarters until the game was out of reach. They gave up 30 points in win to a winless UCF. They needed two interception returns for touchdowns in the last 6 minutes to beat Tulane and get bowl eligible in a game they trailed the entire contest. Tulane finished 3-9 with wins over an FCS, Army and a winless UCF. They did play inspired in the bowl game, but the season could have just as easily been 4-8, with the typical blown leads, penalties, not to mention the two senior offensive coaches hitting the highway four games into his tenure. We blame the last two years on the lack of a QB but the blown leads, bad habits, shaky decisions, and inexplicable losses have been around since day one and haven’t gotten any better.

I told everyone who would listen on and off campus that I thought the hire was a terrible idea because of basic incompatibility between his offensive philosophy and our small school. I felt strongly that his offense just didn’t work unless you had a Heisman trophy winner or a two guys who spent ten years in the NFL running out, something TU would never have. I had serious questions about his tolerance for lack of discipline and willingness to overlook player misconduct given allegations of sexual assault against players on his teams going back to Stephenville High School. While he was never implicated, his continued presence was a ratification of the culture. And we’ve seen that culture at TU play out through lack of discipline on the field and luckily not the police blotter (that we know of). His son and daughter’s prominent roles in the program and the strings pulled to get them there smacks of 3A high school not a major college program. It’s time to stop the insanity.

May we also talk about "the season", aka 2016? On one hand, we are all in the right to argue that a blown call against Navy cost us the AAC title, or at the least a chance to play for it. On the other hand, think of how that season would have unraveled had the Fresno game continued on the trajectory it appeared to be on. I remember being in the car listening on the way to a wedding and thinking "this is bad, like BB losing to a bunch of new C-USA teams in 2013 bad." Not just that game, but look at how Cincinnati dominated us for a good stretch of the first half in that game; we won in OT by 3 freaking points -- in a home game against a 4-8 team. As much as I love that year and that season, there are several games (Fresno and Cincy being the two that stick out) that could have turned things south in a hurry. A LOT of that was to do with discipline and coaching, we just had the talent and fortitude to battle back successfully. The aforementioned games and the SMU game went to OT that year and easily could have gone the way things have since. The only positive thing that Monty has brought with him is that it is no longer the mental equivalent of a fait accompli for our players when we play P5 times; that said -- he hasn't beat any, either. Monty has never been a v2 of Todd Graham and Gus out there decimating teams and scoring 56 plus points a game, but for the first two years he was a good-enough field general in that he could "rally his troops" when the going got tough; now, he can't even claim that. In 2018 it was USF, Arky St., Houston, and Texas... In the godforsaken year before, it began in Toledo. In 2019, he is 1-2 in the same types of close games. The OSU game was ours to lose at halftime and SMU will be a shadow that is hard to shake for the remainder of his tenure... whatever it winds up being. This is just so sad, because the talent is there and it is all too obvious that this team should be 4-1 and possibly ranked. What is more unappealing is that he seems to be unwilling to take responsibility for his own performance. As a Falcons fan, I am seeing the same thing with Dan Quinn since he took over the defense. Like some portions of the TU base who are glued to 2016 in defending Monty, portions of the Atlanta base are glued to the fact Quinn took us to the SB and fail to remember that he took his foot off the gas and melted down. The parallels between Quinn and Monty are unnerving to say the least. To get back on topic, OSU had to force Gundy to hire an OC; we should force Monty to name one and share some of the related duties with him.

Last edited:
I couldn't remember if Jarion Anderson got his eligibility back, or I would have mentioned him. And you are ignoring the talent level of all the youngish pups this far into the season, just like Monty.
Jarion Anderson has been returning punts, so he is eligible.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Jarion Anderson has been returning punts, so he is eligible.
So there you go, Anderson is a better answer than Stewart. I still think Stewart wouldn't compare horribly to Cannon, even out of position a bit. But I'll take answer #2.(Anderson)

So there you go, Anderson is a better answer than Stewart. I still think Stewart wouldn't compare horribly to Cannon, even out of position a bit. But I'll take answer #2.(Anderson)
Besides that Crawford, J Johnson, Stokes, Santana, and K Johnson, in that order can handle the five slot WR sets.

What would end this argument is Monty leaving/let go and someone else comes in and goes to a bowl with the same players. If that happens, Monty is a DI assistant at best. If the team competes for the AAC title, then he is a lower division head coach at best and Briles scripted his calls at Baylor. If the team still can't get to .500, then it's the school.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT