ADVERTISEMENT

Gooners @ Tulsa Predictions Thread

I believe that Iowa State had more fans at that game than would fit in their home stadium. They did travel well.

For as meh of a program Iowa state is, they have a huge dedicated group of fans. It’s impressive considering they don’t have a ton to hang their hat on.
Went to the game earlier that season in Iowa. Their tailgating was massive in quantity. Very friendly also.

Most OU and OSU fans are about the same. Of course there are bad apples in the bunch. I’m sure they could say the same thing about a buddy of mine who tailgates with us.

At the end of the day, they’re our neighbors and I hope they have a good time at the game. Obviously I want us to pull the upset here which would be hella sweet homie.
Anecdotally I would say I ran into far fewer fans from OSU who never went to OSU or earned a degree from there than I did OU fans. There are a ton of kids who barely graduated HS that are OU fans. (Mostly tradesmen / car salesman types)

Anecdotally I would say I ran into far fewer fans from OSU who never went to OSU or earned a degree from there than I did OU fans. There are a ton of kids who barely graduated HS that are OU fans. (Mostly tradesmen / car salesman types)
I’m glad for you.

I’ve sat at many games watching TU play against both teams and have been treated about the same in both places.

Bandwagon U - 37
Left behind but at least I get to laugh at Memphis...U - 35

Bonus Prediction - Stoops is on the TU sideline not OU

The “Tulsa has fans?” schtick coming from that dude on Twitter and his minions is lame.

It’s a football game man, there’s gonna be a little trash talk. Does OU have a good chance to win? Duh. Is there a chance TU could win? Yes - that’s why we play the game.

All 3 fbs schools in the state having success is good for Oklahoma as a state.

I hope our ou friends come and have a great time at the tailgate with us, we have a good game to watch, then we can move on with the season.
I hate OU and OSU and root against them in every game they play. I'm not originally from OK and only came here to go to TU so I have no allegiance to any other program in the state. I taught my son to throw the Horns sign to anyone wearing red on OU/TX weekend when he was about 3...although we are not TX fans.

Reactions: drboobay
I would say the Gooners came about b/c of Switzer and his teams. It was the closest thing Oklahoma had to a professional football team that people could get behind.

I would say the Gooners came about b/c of Switzer and his teams. It was the closest thing Oklahoma had to a professional football team that people could get behind.
Closest thing? They were paying players (indirectly but paying). If you mean they weren’t in the NFL correct but they had a payroll some would argue that was bigger than low payroll NFL teams 😉

Paying players and allowing them to fire automatic weapons from their dorms predated campus shootings by quite a few years. I guess the Gooners were cutting edge.

Here I am trying to be graceful about OU fans and then I see some crap like this on Twitter (read the entire convo he’s having with a TU fan).

I concede to y’all now. 🏳️

Bandwagon U - 37
Left behind but at least I get to laugh at Memphis...U - 35

Bonus Prediction - Stoops is on the TU sideline not OU
Prediction - Stoops in the box since he has friends on both sideline and more importantly a son starting at receiver for Gooner.

Gooners 38
Good Guys 20

Reactions: TU_BLA
Prediction - Stoops in the box since he has friends on both sideline and more importantly a son starting at receiver for Gooner.

Gooners 38
Good Guys 20
This is exactly what I was thinking. Stoops, no matter how good of a friend he is to Wilson, is not rooting against Drake in any way, shape, or form.

Here I am trying to be graceful about OU fans and then I see some crap like this on Twitter (read the entire convo he’s having with a TU fan).

I concede to y’all now. 🏳️

If OU football is ever found guilty of infractions of NCAA rules again they must drop out of D1. It will be obvious they can’t compete without violating rules on numerous occasions 😁

Last edited:
I agree OU has been the equivalent of the state’s NFL team (that was exactly how I viewed them when I moved here as a kid 50 years ago). However, OU was actually a top national program well before Switzer. Ever heard of Bud Wilkinson and OU’s 47 game winning streak?

Reactions: TU 1978
While I agree OU has been the equivalent of the state’s NFL team (that was exactly how I viewed them when I moved here as a kid 50 years ago). However, OU was actually a top national program well before Switzer. Ever heard of Bud Wilkinson and OU’s 47 game winning streak?
My favorite OU thing is the shirts they made that say "Bob, Barry, Bud, Brent"

Just so dumb. They're really putting Venables on that level? I still don't think he's the guy to bring them back to the level they want.

If TU plays prevent defense again this week & we appear to be holding out players & focusing on conference games : OU 55 TU 17

If TU makes necessary adjustments to defensive strategy & plays to win: TU 34 OU 31

Dillon Gabriel is a great QB against minimal pressure and a soft zone defense. He is not a good QB under pressure with tight coverage.

Reactions: dougheffking
I'm just surprised they actually understand alliteration
BTW, Did anyone watch Poplin's preview of the game with Gabe Ikard and Teddy Lehmen?

Talk about totally rolling over to them and giving TU zero chance. He just absolutely bent over and took it. I'm disgusted.

My favorite OU thing is the shirts they made that say "Bob, Barry, Bud, Brent"

Just so dumb. They're really putting Venables on that level? I still don't think he's the guy to bring them back to the level they want.
He will be gone by 2025 particularly if he sticks with his OC.

Hopefully Saturday will be the beginning of their end.

Switzer had more national championships but have you ever heard of Bud Wilkerson? He was the one that brought OU into the national spotlight with a 47 game winning streak, in the days of 10 game seasons, which will probably never be broken. I’m a fan of both OU and TU and I never attended either but I’ve followed OU football since the days of Chuck Fairbanks.

TU put out a social media post of students in the student section cheering for the game, all dressed in blue TU shirts...and then one dork shows up in the student section in red. Post says " Don't be this guy. Wear blue" Freaking hilarious and they obviously know it's an issue

BTW, Did anyone watch Poplin's preview of the game with Gabe Ikard and Teddy Lehmen?

Talk about totally rolling over to them and giving TU zero chance. He just absolutely bent over and took it. I'm disgusted.
I listened to this twice. Here are my thoughts:

Lehman and Ikard are massive OU homers who are going to downplay just about any opponent who isn’t a blue blood.

While they did mentioned a couple of nice things about TU, they mostly took a steaming dump on us.

From their commentary it seems like they give TU a 0.1% chance of keeping the game close.

Poplin came on and shared a little info from the TU perspective. However he acted like he was in awe of Lehman and Ikard like he was meeting Taylor swift or something.

Poplin gave a decent overview of the Wilson tenure so far here and highlighted a few positives that we’ve discussed on these boards since he arrived.

Poplin also went on to say that TU is building and will look very different in about 2 years if the level of recreating remains the same. Further he called out that TU is doing a lot more with NIL than some think which is paying off with recruiting (was glad to hear this as I haven’t heard that much before publicly).

However, poplin did kind of downplay TU saying we should just be happy ou is coming here to play, Wilson probably won’t try too hard to win the game, and TU is basically at its ceiling in the aac. I disagree with all of that - we get enough of the little ol TU crap from the outside, we don’t need it coming from someone who represents us as well. TU has just as much potential as any private school out there and more than a portion of FBS schools have had or will ever have. Are we going to be a blue blood and regularly compete for a national championship? Of course not, but we’re not at the bottom of the barrel either.

Finally - ou has that schooner ale… when are we going to get our version of beer? Carson said it was in the works months ago, does anyone have any update?

I listened to this twice. Here are my thoughts:

Lehman and Ikard are massive OU homers who are going to downplay just about any opponent who isn’t a blue blood.

While they did mentioned a couple of nice things about TU, they mostly took a steaming dump on us.

From their commentary it seems like they give TU a 0.1% chance of keeping the game close.

Poplin came on and shared a little info from the TU perspective. However he acted like he was in awe of Lehman and Ikard like he was meeting Taylor swift or something.

Poplin gave a decent overview of the Wilson tenure so far here and highlighted a few positives that we’ve discussed on these boards since he arrived.

Poplin also went on to say that TU is building and will look very different in about 2 years if the level of recreating remains the same. Further he called out that TU is doing a lot more with NIL than some think which is paying off with recruiting (was glad to hear this as I haven’t heard that much before publicly).

However, poplin did kind of downplay TU saying we should just be happy ou is coming here to play, Wilson probably won’t try too hard to win the game, and TU is basically at its ceiling in the aac. I disagree with all of that - we get enough of the little ol TU crap from the outside, we don’t need it coming from someone who represents us as well. TU has just as much potential as any private school out there and more than a portion of FBS schools have had or will ever have. Are we going to be a blue blood and regularly compete for a national championship? Of course not, but we’re not at the bottom of the barrel either.

Finally - ou has that schooner ale… when are we going to get our version of beer? Carson said it was in the works months ago, does anyone have any update?
I ASSURE you, Wilson will NEVER try not to win. Poplin came off as a freaking pansy.

I arrived back in Oklahoma on Tuesday night. Had not planned to come back for this game but since I am in town will attend. I am surprised that there really isn’t much discussion about the game, match ups, etc… I know Chris has shared a few articles but it really seems very low key. Could it be the quiet before the storm or perhaps the HURRICANE!

Reactions: drboobay
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT