ADVERTISEMENT

Good News

astonmartin708

I.T.S. Hall of Famer
Apr 17, 2012

tenor.gif

Good news/bad news Monty may have a bonus clause for going bowling 😳

I'm a cynic. But, this season is being played because of TV $$ and because the players who didn't opt out wanted to play. Don't expect non-P5 schools to get bids except for those with a national profile - UCF, BYU, Navy/Army/AirForce.

I'm a cynic. But, this season is being played because of TV $$ and because the players who didn't opt out wanted to play. Don't expect non-P5 schools to get bids except for those with a national profile - UCF, BYU, Navy/Army/AirForce.
IDK, doesn't ESPN have a big deal with some of these bowls? Does ESPN really want to put a bunch of loser P5's who people won't watch against other loser P5's? I'm curious how it will turn out.

IDK, doesn't ESPN have a big deal with some of these bowls? Does ESPN really want to put a bunch of loser P5's who people won't watch against other loser P5's? I'm curious how it will turn out.
ESPN owns most of the bowls. In order for them to make any money, they have to play and air those games so the ad deals in place (along with the naming deals on the bowls) have to pay them.

Good news for the trophy generation! Only winners deserve to play a bowl game
I think it's more about not needing 6 wins since most teams will only play 8 or so games. Half of the P5 conferences won't be able to get 10+ teams bowl eligible otherwise since they aren't padding their schedules with 3-4 cream puff non-con games

Until all the conferences that had postponed til spring came back in there were more bowls than teams playing.

There is not enough teams playing to cover all the bowls with winners/even stevens.
I have long been a fan of reducing the number or Bowl games. Bowl games are for winners. if you didn’t win your conference or were not runner up, I don’t want to watch you play in December/January.

I have long been a fan of reducing the number or Bowl games. Bowl games are for winners. if you didn’t win your conference or were not runner up, I don’t want to watch you play in December/January.

And what would you say to the non-profit organizations in the communities that host the bowl games who rely on the contributions that the bowl generates?

And what would you say to the non-profit organizations in the communities that host the bowl games who rely on the contributions that the bowl generates?
Find something else! There are a million other ways to generate money for the community. Go ask BLM to share their fundraising model!

The biggest problem with fewer bowls is that the rich get richer.

If you go to a bowl, you get extra practice and team meals/conditioning. If you don’t, then you don’t. Over a five year period, a player who does not go to a bowl loses the numerical equivalent of an entire spring and fall camp. You get an entire extra off season of practice.

Look at that team last week and tell me some of those mental miscues by seniors and juniors might be avoided if there were 50 additional practice days in their history. Look at how we almost but not quite do a lot of things on the field. Would he be that extra quarter step quicker to the ball? Would that combo blocking be a little more crisp?

Bowl games aren’t a reward for players. That’s just ancient history in a game that has evolved. Now it’s a scheme to keep the upper tier on top and give local communities increased hotel tax revenue and a hospitality purchasing bump around the holidays.

The biggest problem with fewer bowls is that the rich get richer.

If you go to a bowl, you get extra practice and team meals/conditioning. If you don’t, then you don’t. Over a five year period, a player who does not go to a bowl loses the numerical equivalent of an entire spring and fall camp. You get an entire extra off season of practice.

Look at that team last week and tell me some of those mental miscues by seniors and juniors might be avoided if there were 50 additional practice days in their history. Look at how we almost but not quite do a lot of things on the field. Would he be that extra quarter step quicker to the ball? Would that combo blocking be a little more crisp?

Bowl games aren’t a reward for players. That’s just ancient history in a game that has evolved. Now it’s a scheme to keep the upper tier on top and give local communities increased hotel tax revenue and a hospitality purchasing bump around the holidays.
A p5 conference makes more from a single playoff game than nonp5 make from all of its bowls.

Reactions: HuffyCane
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT