ADVERTISEMENT

GJ Kinne

TulsaFan2000

I.T.S. Sophomore
Jan 6, 2019
Look at what Kinne is doing for Texas State. Up 28-3 against a good UTSA team.

He very well might be in the playoff this year. Huge miss on our side not hiring him.

Reactions: TU_BLA and TUGrad06

He very well might be in the playoff this year. Huge miss on our side not hiring him.
No it wasn't. They are giving him Nil to function, where we would not right now. Plus the academic handicap. Different situations. Can't compare an orange to an apple.

Nothing we as fans can do about it.... It'd be nice if they would've polled us on here and made their decision based on our buy-in and approval!

Reactions: drboobay

Agree, would've much rather had a young and hungry former alum to help us build than old retread who is a monty clone apparently with the play calling.

Kinne is getting a lot of national pub. Great to see an alum killing it.

Nothing we as fans can do about it.... It'd be nice if they would've polled us on here and made their decision based on our buy-in and approval!
This is absurd take. first, the school has people that hire staff(that’s their job, they don’t need your approval for anything) second let’s take this into your life… you want alot of random message board people deciding if you get a raise, or you get a job that they have no clue or understanding on what you do??? If you are that upset about this don’t donate to the school.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
This is absurd take. first, the school has people that hire staff(that’s their job, they don’t need your approval for anything) second let’s take this into your life… you want alot of random message board people deciding if you get a raise, or you get a job that they have no clue or understanding on what you do??? If you are that upset about this don’t donate to the school.
Also not saying you’re wrong on Kinne he may have been a home run hire but your thoughts on how hiring staff should go down are insane.

Again... Rick Dickson should have been nowhere near this decision. Aside from his Tubby hire 30 years ago, his track record of coaching hires has been beyond abysmal.

He stabilized the program financially with his fundraising (Kudos to him), but any layman could have told you Wilson instead of Kinne was a bad decision.

Reactions: t-townpod
I was being facetious, but I'm glad you got that out of your system. I figured the absurdity of the premise would've made that clear, but you took it literally.

I think most here figured kinne would be the better hire, not sure what the appeal was to go the other direction, but unfortunately, he'll have better offers out there at this point. But I'll be rooting him on wherever he goes

Reactions: Stevene and TU_BLA
I think most here figured kinne would be the better hire, not sure what the appeal was to go the other direction, but unfortunately, he'll have better offers out there at this point. But I'll be rooting him on wherever he goes
I would venture to say that there was no doubt Kevin Wilson was going to get kids to class and that they were going to make measurable academic progress under his leadership as an older more rigid coach. Where Monty left the program academically was GD embarrassing. Our APR (I believe that's correct) was in the 10-20th percentile rank within the sport and within the 1-10th percentile rank in all sports, well below all of those schools we look down our nose at.

To me it was determined that this had to be fixed, and rightfully so. He did that in short order... The hope I'm sure was that he would be able to win as well, which is to be determined, but he's recruiting well and there are positives that are observable. Hopefully, many more sooner rather than later...

GJ might have been a good answer but some of those people that are clamoring about him now would have been the first to say “OMG why did we hire another former player” after our first loss or a major setback! Some meaning the usual suspects.

GJ might have been a good answer but some of those people that are clamoring about him now would have been the first to say “OMG why did we hire another former player” after our first loss or a major setback! Some meaning the usual suspects.

Yeah and they already have Nil funds for football at Texas St. The academics aren't nearly as difficult there either. Everybody is so quick to insert such and such into the 'why didn't we hire him' slot. They picked up a bunch of juco, and some of them wouldn't have been a good academic fit here. They don't even think about the differences between programs.

Last edited:
Reactions: TU1NNJ
We seem to have run off some of the usuals suspects. I’m not mentioning any names though.

Reactions: TU1NNJ
GJ a no brainer to me. Not sure Rick even talked with him
If memory serves me, he interviewed. As far as I remember he had Marion with him in the interview, but that might not be right. Once again you cannot insert coach and expect the same results. GJ would not have recruited the same here. He wouldn't have been able to bring as many jucos, the student part of athlete would have been an issue with some of his recruits, and he wouldn't have had nil.(as far as I know, he does at Texas St) He might have found success here, but it might have also come more gradually. Also, it could not have come at all. It's easy to dump on the administration as an armchair QB, when you ignore these kinds of factors.

Reactions: nevadanatural
I am one of those who thought we should have not gone with GJ Kinne. I still believe I was correct. It's not that he isnt a good coach. It's that there was no way of knowing how good of a coach he would be. He is just too green. To take that big of a risk on a hire just wasnt smart. You would be putting a green coach into a complete rebuild mode at a school that has higher academic standards. I think Wilson was the right choice to change things around. Do I think he will take us to the top? I have no clue but we needed someone who has been through turnarounds before. Could get the ship at least righted. Could have GJ Kinne done that??? Maybe...but that is the point. He has no prior opportunites to show that he can and that is a hard person to stake your school's program on. After Texas St he might be worth that chance now. I still say he needs a couple more years.

Last edited:
When in doubt, TU should hire the risky up and comer and let the excitement play out. Either it works and we enjoy a run until they're hired away, or we have some crappy seasons and move on when the hope fades. Hell, maybe we find a unicorn and it actually sticks...but I'd be happy with hope and excitement for a while.

(Wilson needs time to play this out, but I didn't feel it was an exciting hire. I'd love to change that feeling today! 🙂)

At least we attracted a good pool of candidates to replace Montgomery.

2 of our 3 finalists (Kinne & Odom) are 2 of the hottest young coaches in the country right now!

Let’s hope Wilson makes us forget “what could’ve been” feelings by turning things around here soon.

I am one of those who thought we should have not gone with GJ Kinne. I still believe I was correct. It's not that he isnt a good coach. It's that there was no way of knowing how good of a coach he would be. He is just too green. To take that big of a risk on a hire just wasnt smart. You would be putting a green coach into a complete rebuild mode at a school that has higher academic standards. I think Wilson was the right choice to change things around. Do I think he will take us to the top? I have no clue but we needed someone who has been through turnarounds before. Could get the ship at least righted. Could have GJ Kinne done that??? Maybe...but that is the point. He has no prior opportunites to show that he can and that is a hard person to stake your school's program on. After Texas St he might be worth that chance now. I still say he needs a couple more years.
Instead we go with someone with tons of experience. So much experience, in fact, that he has proven that he can't get the job done already at one school. (Retread)

If Kinne keeps doing what he's doing at Texas St, there's no way we will be able to afford him. If he starts failing then we won't want him. Essentially that ship has sailed.

Reactions: TulsaFan2000
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT