ADVERTISEMENT

Get some butts in the seats

okie51

I.T.S. Junior
Dec 4, 2003
So i got some ideas. We have done this back when Rader was coaching so i know it can be done unless ncaa rules have changed.

Back when i was in grade school dave rader and like 5 or 6 TU players would come throw passes, sign footballs and just interact with us kids. ( i think they did it 3 times) i was already a TU fan but it made me absolutely LOVE TU football.

Maybe have a few players and cheer girls go to these schools every week and give each kid 2 standing ticket vouchers and offer free foam fingers or a flag or a noise maker. at the end of the first QTR open all empty seats to fill in the dead spots in the stadium.

Bring the fire works when we score back...

Give the cheer guys the fire sticks that OSU uses when they score, kick off whatever. I understand why we got rid of the cannon in the 90s but they should have moved it, not got rid of it! right now we got the perfect spot for it bring it back and place it by the case building.

Offer a challenge to each school. the more students that come from that school through out the season the University will allow the kids with a ticket stub to run and play and have a picnic on the field with the coaches, players cheerleaders.

Game day!
Why doesn't TU approach QT to gain there sponsorship and allow them to sell the QT items and run the concessions. like hey if you donate 3 million a year we will give you this.... if you help build the indoor facility you can have naming and concessions

Better yet just hire me... ill fill that damn stadium every game. As a Life long TU fan and a business owner i at least know what your doing aint working so change it up TULSA!!!!!

Reactions: TUGrad06
Good ideas Okie51.

As far as Gameday, somebody teach the TU cheerleaders one simple cheer : Westside stands :"GOLDEN!" Eastside stands :"HURRICANE!". Repeat multiple times.

Then tell the PA announcer to be quiet during that cheer & do not pipe in loud music to drown it out.

Reactions: TulsaCane95
Another idea there is a group that does this charity event where they have hundreds of drummers meet in one place ( cant remember the name of his group) but half time we try and set a world record for numbers of drummers on a football field playing something

Reactions: eastcane and TU_BLA
It's good to talk about this...but, there are some things that hurt TU...

-Other than the Fresno game, I think every other TU game was on national TV. I like the TV deal...but, it hurts a little from an attendance standpoint.

-We only have about 30-35,000 alumni alive. This is the main issue.

-The other big issue - For the most part, the OU and OSU fans couldn't give two sh!ts about anything related to TU. It didn't used to be this bad, but (including the media) it has progressively worsened over the past 5 years.

For TU to have good attendance, the city must support the team(s). Basically, this comes down to other "non-TU" sports fans in this city...OU and OSU supporters.

For the few OU/OSU supporters of TU - Thanks! Hopefully, your friends will start to support a wonderful representative of your city.

In reality, 70-75 other D1 programs battle attendance issues.

Get the utility companies to offer 10:00 off for any ticket stub over $20.00 or get the city of tulsa to offer something. this city should do something to support this university thats NAMED AFTER THE FREAKING CITY!

GIVE ME THE DAMN JOB! pay me 20k a year and a secretary ill fill that place and the basketball arena! i wouldn't need a dime more. I dont even need a office... i have a business where i already make enough, i just want that place full

Reactions: TU Sepp and TU1NNJ
So i got some ideas. We have done this back when Rader was coaching so i know it can be done unless ncaa rules have changed.

Back when i was in grade school dave rader and like 5 or 6 TU players would come throw passes, sign footballs and just interact with us kids. ( i think they did it 3 times) i was already a TU fan but it made me absolutely LOVE TU football.

Maybe have a few players and cheer girls go to these schools every week and give each kid 2 standing ticket vouchers and offer free foam fingers or a flag or a noise maker. at the end of the first QTR open all empty seats to fill in the dead spots in the stadium.

Bring the fire works when we score back...

Give the cheer guys the fire sticks that OSU uses when they score, kick off whatever. I understand why we got rid of the cannon in the 90s but they should have moved it, not got rid of it! right now we got the perfect spot for it bring it back and place it by the case building.

Offer a challenge to each school. the more students that come from that school through out the season the University will allow the kids with a ticket stub to run and play and have a picnic on the field with the coaches, players cheerleaders.

Game day!
Why doesn't TU approach QT to gain there sponsorship and allow them to sell the QT items and run the concessions. like hey if you donate 3 million a year we will give you this.... if you help build the indoor facility you can have naming and concessions

Better yet just hire me... ill fill that damn stadium every game. As a Life long TU fan and a business owner i at least know what your doing aint working so change it up TULSA!!!!!
Those are good ideas! I like the fireworks one and the QT one. What business do you own?

Or here is a great idea. NFL teams do this... put a raffle ticket where the fans can buy when you enter the stadium 5 bucks per ticket, in the last minute of the game announce the winning ticket and give the winner 50% of all raffles purchased give the other 50% to coaches. win, win! You are literally giving fans the opportunity to win thousands while creating income for coaches. And you're giving an opportunity for students to pay off student loans AND THEY ARE STAYING UNTIL THE BITTER END OF THE GAME!!!!!! WHAT TULSA RESIDENT would turn down a chance of winning a bucket of money?

I have a small landscape business. not rich but im happy in life. i love this university. im not kidding i will fill both football and basketball venue's. there is a way to do this, you just have to have some sort of imagination. which our marketing group does not!

Lower ticket prices... $45 for sideline seats is out of line for the market and product... ticket giveaways are nice but they leave a bad taste in season ticket holders mouths.. a general lowering of prices until demand starts overtaking supply is warranted.

Cover the spread when picked as 21pt favorites... fans like to be entertained but not surprised or disappointed..

Run up the score when given the opportunity.. 70 points plus grabs headlines and puts your offensive players in the heisman discussion...

I did exactly that... And the press box cranked up the music and drowned us out. I was so mad...

Not trying to be rude but as a season ticket holder... this isn't personal it's business. We need the venues filled to the brim with a line on the waiting list. if it hurts our current few fans to gain 100 in there place then so be it.

The dog was a dumb idea, my ideas don't need a car or a dog wearing a dumb cape that does nothing but yawn on its little car ride.

Night games I would kill the lights! spot lights on the tunnel (where the fog is shooting out) strobes behind the players, fire works as they take the field. you want top tier recruits? when these guys take the field no matter who we are playing it should make the recruits get goose bumps when the players run out! all my ideas would cost hardly anything and would get results. IT WOULD BE FULL!!! IT WOULD BE EXCITING!! IT WOULD BE FREAKING FUN!

Lower ticket prices... $45 for sideline seats is out of line for the market and product... ticket giveaways are nice but they leave a bad taste in season ticket holders mouths.. a general lowering of prices until demand starts overtaking supply is warranted.

Cover the spread when picked as 21pt favorites... fans like to be entertained but not surprised or disappointed..

Run up the score when given the opportunity.. 70 points plus grabs headlines and puts your offensive players in the heisman discussion...

Ticket pricing is out of touch. Best seats should cost 35/40 tops. I'd even be satisfied with $20 tickets where the stands are always bald. We're 4 to 5k away from respectable attendance. I think we had better attendance under Blankenship because he was so well known all over town with UHS and whatnot. Not sure why a winning team like this one hasn't spurred any interest. The only variable I can think of is increase in ticket pricing due to conference change?

Nah our athletic department is spending money on more important things...like a customized smart car for a dog mascot that doesn't like people

Reactions: TU 1978
Speaking of Goldie, they had her on the sidelines during early warm-ups and she was running out and getting the tee and bring it back. i thought for sure they were going to give her a try. probably very hard to train and be used to the noise and players running on and off the field.

Get rid of the dog. it was a dumb idea... never understood getting a puppy.

As far as out of the stadium goes. i would have bands that want to get known at every game. I would provide a stage, speakers and lighting. they would have to send in a demo and i would let the student body choose a band and they would play before and maybe after games.

P.s i would remove the adds on the video board and put them on the endzone walls. i would put thin board above the speakers and thats what i would have the adds on.

Ohh and a dadgum video board at the other end. this would have to be fan friendly. fans need to love coming here.

Eventually i would dig out that dirt, open a QT kitchen and have the stands built over it. It would be the first of its kind, QT would love the idea and they would probably pay for it. I would move the students and band at that end creating a loud i cant hear the plays atmosphere for the opposing teams.

In the 60s, we used to have band days and invite several different area high schools to perform before the game and at half time

The band members got in free, but mom and dad bought a ticket to watch.

Reactions: TU1NNJ
As I understand it Goldie is well trained and a fine representative to community groups at smaller events.

Not well suited for d1 sports though.

Or here is a great idea. NFL teams do this... put a raffle ticket where the fans can buy when you enter the stadium 5 bucks per ticket, in the last minute of the game announce the winning ticket and give the winner 50% of all raffles purchased give the other 50% to coaches. win, win! You are literally giving fans the opportunity to win thousands while creating income for coaches. And you're giving an opportunity for students to pay off student loans AND THEY ARE STAYING UNTIL THE BITTER END OF THE GAME!!!!!! WHAT TULSA RESIDENT would turn down a chance of winning a bucket of money?

I like the 50/50 idea if it is legal in OK. You could give 30% to the weekly winner, 50% to the TU fund and 20% into the grand prize given at the last home game.That last game drawing could occur 5 minutes post game with first drawing for the weekly prize and second for the grand prize but you must be present with your ticket to win. Think of the people that would show up for the last game (usually one of our hardest games for attendance) to get a chance at the grand prize.

P.s i would remove the adds on the video board and put them on the endzone walls. i would put thin board above the speakers and thats what i would have the adds on.

Ohh and a dadgum video board at the other end. this would have to be fan friendly. fans need to love coming here.

Eventually i would dig out that dirt, open a QT kitchen and have the stands built over it. It would be the first of its kind, QT would love the idea and they would probably pay for it. I would move the students and band at that end creating a loud i cant hear the plays atmosphere for the opposing teams.
KEEP EM COMING! These are ideas!

I'll share one experience from the Cinci game that I would like to see continued. Playing "I Gotta Feeling" over the stadium speakers while walking across campus to my car after a win. That was awesome. They had it cranked up and could be heard for on the other side of campus. It capped off a perfect evening for me and made me want to go out and party instead of going home. I hope that happens again next year after every win.

ill reserve the rest of my ideas for when I get a call from TU

You should reach out to Bruce Howard, or someone on the TU athletics website that lists their phone number and contact info. Tulsa really doesn't have a marketing initiative for sports, they might be open to suggestion, it's worth the shot. Worst that could happen is things stay the same, right?

Open the Harvard parking lot up to casual fans to tailgate, charge $10 on gameday to park there. The Chapman Commons has been an epic failure, it has ruined our gameday atmosphere, it no longer feels like a big time event before the games because everybody is way too spread out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT