ADVERTISEMENT

Georgia Tech guard transferring to Tulsa

So, does this mean we have 14 on scholarship next year or is Candy Cat wrong about Hewitt? Lol

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
I'm just curious whether the coaches took him thinking we'll have two redshirt transfers sit out, or if they believe one or both of the transfers will get a waiver. We need more shooting next season. We may not get it. Right now it looks like only 2 or 3 guys will be reliable three point shooters. Maybe having a better inside game will open some stuff on the outside though....

I'm just curious how this is all going to play out.

I'm just curious whether the coaches took him thinking we'll have two redshirt transfers sit out, or if they believe one or both of the transfers will get a waiver. We need more shooting next season. We may not get it. Right now it looks like only 2 or 3 guys will be reliable three point shooters. Maybe having a better inside game will open some stuff on the outside though....

I'm just curious how this is all going to play out.
My guess is Embery-Simpson will get a waiver because of the coaching change. The NCAA has been more amenable to those situations of late. Haywood will probably have to sit out even though Ronald McDonald w/o makeup probably told him his scholarship wasn't being renewed.

My guess is Embery-Simpson will get a waiver because of the coaching change. The NCAA has been more amenable to those situations of late. Haywood will probably have to sit out even though Ronald McDonald w/o makeup probably told him his scholarship wasn't being renewed.
That was kind of my impression as well. I think the NCAA should let a player transfer anywhere they want without a mandatory RS year if a team tells them their scholarship isn't being renewed.

Still doesn't solve our shooting problem (although I think Embery will do a lot of good things as far as playmaking goes) I'm resting all my hopes in Hill + Jones to shoot well because I'm pretty sure everyone else outside of Horne won't.

That was kind of my impression as well. I think the NCAA should let a player transfer anywhere they want without a mandatory RS year if a team tells them their scholarship isn't being renewed.

Still doesn't solve our shooting problem (although I think Embery will do a lot of good things as far as playmaking goes) I'm resting all my hopes in Hill + Jones to shoot well because I'm pretty sure everyone else outside of Horne won't.

Lots of hope being placed on Embery. Didn't he average less than 4 points per game last year? So why is everyone expecting him to light it up this year?

Lots of hope being placed on Embery. Didn't he average less than 4 points per game last year? So why is everyone expecting him to light it up this year?
I think he had a rough go in Anderson's system. I think everyone in Oklahoma and far abroad knew he had talent considering his offer sheet. There's certainly room for improvement, and you have to think that he'll be getting more playing time with our guard depth. I think that could return some of his scoring confidence. I also think he might have played a bit overweight last season. The coaches might help him slim down a bit and get back to being more agile.

Shooting still the major concern. Will be interesting if having an inside game opens up the perimeter to allow better 3 point shooting. Soon will see.

Shooting still the major concern. Will be interesting if having an inside game opens up the perimeter to allow better 3 point shooting. Soon will see.

We have some guys coming in that have shown, at times, that they can shoot the ball. Yes, a better inside threat should give us better looks on the perimeter.

But what I like with the newcomers is that they are better athletes than we’ve had in the past, and have shown to be good defensive players.

We should be a much better rebounding and defensive team. . That should improve our scoring, with more possessions and hopefully more easy baskets, as a result of our defense.

I share your concern. NCAA average 3PT% last year was 34.4%. Here are the career 3-point percentages for players currently expected to be on the roster:

Horne 35.9%
Jones 34.4%
Joiner 34.3%
Igbanu 33.3%
Haywood 30.2%
Korita 29.8%
KES 27.1%
Rachal 20.0%
Jackson 0.0%
Falokun N/A
Hill N/A
Ugboh N/A
Early N/A

If this class is an upgrade to our roster, does it help when recruiting freshmen?
If you are talking about the 2020 class and beyond, the answer is yes....
Remember, going into the 2020-'21 season, Rachal, Ugboh, Horne, Falokun, Jones,
Jackson, and Joiner will be seniors, as will Haywood if he is given a waiver on
the transfer red shirt requirement....Igbanu and Korita will have graduated in the
spring of 2020....

Only Hill, KES (red shirt or not), Earley ,Haywood (probably-depending on the
waiver), and the committed Phipps project to be on the 2021-2022 team...

I would think we will be coming off of two good to very good seasons, with plenty
of playing time coming open...It really should be a rich recruiting environment....
Hill and Earley are the first two since Jackson and Joiner in the 2017 class, and
there are hopeful signs of more good freshmen to come....

Last edited:
Reactions: TU4ever2
Maybe we only need to play Memphis once this year........They are closing in on a top 3 recruiting class in the nation. From ESPN :

"Little Rock graduate transfer Rayjon Tucker has committed to Memphis, he told ESPN on Saturday.

Tucker, ranked No. 2 in ESPN's graduate transfer rankings, chose the Tigers after also visiting Kansas, Auburn, Iowa State and West Virginia.

"Just the relationship I built with Penny [Hardaway] and [assistant coach Tony] Madlock," Tucker said when asked why he chose Memphis. "And the learning I can get from the staff to get me to the next level."

Tucker, a 6-foot-5 guard/forward from Charlotte, North Carolina, earned second-team All-Sun Belt honors last season after averaging 20.3 points and 6.7 rebounds while shooting 41.1 percent from 3-point range. He started his career at Florida Gulf Coast, playing two seasons for the Eagles before transferring to Little Rock.

Tucker also entered his name into the NBA draft and has been working out for teams.

Assuming Tucker withdraws his name from the draft, he will join one of the nation's most intriguing teams in 2019-20. Hardaway led Memphis to 22 wins last season, but is reloading with an elite recruiting class led by No. 1 overall prospect James Wiseman.

The Tigers added their fourth ESPN 100 prospect on Friday, when four-star guard Lester Quinones (No. 81) picked Memphis over Indiana. Quinones joined Wiseman, five-star forward D.J. Jeffries(No. 25), four-star center Malcolm Dandridge (No. 100) and four-star guard Damian Baugh.

Hardaway and Memphis also remain involved with uncommitted seniors R.J. Hampton (No. 5), Precious Achiuwa (No. 17), Trendon Watford (No. 19) and recent Duke decommit Rejean "Boogie" Ellis (No. 38)."

Maybe we only need to play Memphis once this year........They are closing in on a top 3 recruiting class in the nation. From ESPN :

"Little Rock graduate transfer Rayjon Tucker has committed to Memphis, he told ESPN on Saturday.

Tucker, ranked No. 2 in ESPN's graduate transfer rankings, chose the Tigers after also visiting Kansas, Auburn, Iowa State and West Virginia.

"Just the relationship I built with Penny [Hardaway] and [assistant coach Tony] Madlock," Tucker said when asked why he chose Memphis. "And the learning I can get from the staff to get me to the next level."

Tucker, a 6-foot-5 guard/forward from Charlotte, North Carolina, earned second-team All-Sun Belt honors last season after averaging 20.3 points and 6.7 rebounds while shooting 41.1 percent from 3-point range. He started his career at Florida Gulf Coast, playing two seasons for the Eagles before transferring to Little Rock.

Tucker also entered his name into the NBA draft and has been working out for teams.

Assuming Tucker withdraws his name from the draft, he will join one of the nation's most intriguing teams in 2019-20. Hardaway led Memphis to 22 wins last season, but is reloading with an elite recruiting class led by No. 1 overall prospect James Wiseman.

The Tigers added their fourth ESPN 100 prospect on Friday, when four-star guard Lester Quinones (No. 81) picked Memphis over Indiana. Quinones joined Wiseman, five-star forward D.J. Jeffries(No. 25), four-star center Malcolm Dandridge (No. 100) and four-star guard Damian Baugh.

Hardaway and Memphis also remain involved with uncommitted seniors R.J. Hampton (No. 5), Precious Achiuwa (No. 17), Trendon Watford (No. 19) and recent Duke decommit Rejean "Boogie" Ellis (No. 38)."
I was surprised that Curran Scott didn't even make the top 65.

I'm sure we'll get a great grad transfer next year. [thumbsup]

What I like with the newcomers is that they are better athletes than we’ve had in the
past, and have shown to be good defensive players.

We should be a much better rebounding and defensive team. . That should improve
our scoring, with more possessions and hopefully more easy baskets, as a result of
our defense.

Our three primary achilles in this past season were: 1) Allowed offensive rebounds,
2) Too many open corner three pt. opportunities, 3) turnovers...

If good recruiting is the art of fortifying your weaknesses, we may have gotten two
thirds of the way home....Both rebounding and defense should be much improved as
@Bill Lowery points out above....

Turnovers? Good question...That has been an area of concern ever since Haith has
been here.....Is it scheme? Is it substitution sequences where there are too many
player combinations on the floor during the game? Is it simply a failure to recruit good
ball handlers/passers? If you were debating in moot court, I think you could make a
pretty good case for any of the above....

Hopefully, the combination of Hill, Joiner, Christopolos (if available) and KES (if he gets
the red shirt waiver) will do a better job with the basketball, and get our T/O numbers
under control.....I think that is a key stat for this ball club......

Our three primary achilles in this past season were: 1) Allowed offensive rebounds,
2) Too many open corner three pt. opportunities, 3) turnovers...

If good recruiting is the art of fortifying your weaknesses, we may have gotten two
thirds of the way home....Both rebounding and defense should be much improved as
@Bill Lowery points out above....

Turnovers? Good question...That has been an area of concern ever since Haith has
been here.....Is it scheme? Is it substitution sequences where there are too many
player combinations on the floor during the game? Is it simply a failure to recruit good
ball handlers/passers? If you were debating in moot court, I think you could make a
pretty good case for any of the above....

Hopefully, the combination of Hill, Joiner, Christopolos (if available) and KES (if he gets
the red shirt waiver) will do a better job with the basketball, and get our T/O numbers
under control.....I think that is a key stat for this ball club......

2) Will be an issue, at least for fans, as long as we run the 3-2 zone. It is kind of baked in to the defense.

I think you are right many of the close games were decided by turnovers, improving there will probably result in more key wins.

2) Will be an issue, at least for fans, as long as we run the 3-2 zone. It is kind of baked in to the defense.

I think you are right many of the close games were decided by turnovers, improving there will probably result in more key wins.
Not necessarily. The corners open up not so much because of the zone but rather the way we help in the middle because of our lack of size. I’m hoping the addition of Ugboh will mean the man guarding the corner won’t have to cheat to the middle so much.

I hope our new assistants will have a better defensive coverage for three point shooters. We have tended (over the past three years) to have some kid go off on us for 5-6 threes every game....Most of them wide open.

I hope our new assistants will have a better defensive coverage for three point shooters. We have tended (over the past three years) to have some kid go off on us for 5-6 threes every game....Most of them wide open.
sad thing is it is usually the kid we want shooting them that we leave open and they shoot well above their season avg. against us. Is that because he was open or is it because we just have bad luck in that?

Speaking about new assistants, is this the longest search ever for an assistant for our program? I know it ranks up there.

Not necessarily. The corners open up not so much because of the zone but rather the way we help in the middle because of our lack of size. I’m hoping the addition of Ugboh will mean the man guarding the corner won’t have to cheat to the middle so much.

In a 3-2 no one is guarding the corner. The defense is designed to pressure up front and defend the wing.

Typically the two bottom positions are posts and split the paint and then out. This allows for the far corner to be open and the baseline positioned defenders to have to close out.

Sneaking a player along the baseline while dropping a big from the high post to the low post is about as simple an exploitation of the corner that you can get. The wing defender does not see the player slide in behind them and the offensive player in the post seals the defender by forcing him to cover the closest player to the basket (avoiding the easy dump for a lay up) until the other defender rotates over.

Simply drawing out the zones on a court shows where the defense is focused and where the gaps in the defense are. For a 3-2 zone it's the high post, center of the paint, and the corner 3 area.

Switching to a 2-3 zone changes the dynamics, covers the corner and paint, it leaves the wings vulnerable though as a simple 3 guard weave attacks the top two defenders. When combined with a high or mid post player who forces the guards to exchange two people regularly and sucks them in away from the weak side wing (also creating a likely mismatch in the high post) it can be problematic unless the back side of the zone is aggressive ala Syracuse.

In college presently their is less advantage to a corner three, no backboard help, same distance, typically one side rebounds.

We will continue to see run outs from the zone to corner threes. More pressure up top will make it difficult to get the ball in vulnerable spots but won't change which spots are vulnerable. However Haith hasn't shown much interest in a high pressure on top approach, something I think Jackson could really excel in. This zone design seems focused on absorbing offensive pressure, preventing drives, and confusing the offense when it attempts to counter defensive strategies. I think it is also the cause of some of our rebounding woes because teams can crash the boards vs two in position Tulsa players creating a numbers issue.

Reactions: seniorgolfer
sad thing is it is usually the kid we want shooting them that we leave open and they shoot well above their season avg. against us. Is that because he was open or is it because we just have bad luck in that?

Probably a bit of both. I am often screaming for a switch back to man or a stickier version of the match up to prevent this late in games. Even for one or two possessions it changes the look and forces the offense to reevaluate and adjust allowing the standard switching zone defense to be more effective.

In a 3-2 no one is guarding the corner. The defense is designed to pressure up front and defend the wing.

Typically the two bottom positions are posts and split the paint and then out. This allows for the far corner to be open and the baseline positioned defenders to have to close out.

Sneaking a player along the baseline while dropping a big from the high post to the low post is about as simple an exploitation of the corner that you can get. The wing defender does not see the player slide in behind them and the offensive player in the post seals the defender by forcing him to cover the closest player to the basket (avoiding the easy dump for a lay up) until the other defender rotates over.

Simply drawing out the zones on a court shows where the defense is focused and where the gaps in the defense are. For a 3-2 zone it's the high post, center of the paint, and the corner 3 area.

Switching to a 2-3 zone changes the dynamics, covers the corner and paint, it leaves the wings vulnerable though as a simple 3 guard weave attacks the top two defenders. When combined with a high or mid post player who forces the guards to exchange two people regularly and sucks them in away from the weak side wing (also creating a likely mismatch in the high post) it can be problematic unless the back side of the zone is aggressive ala Syracuse.

In college presently their is less advantage to a corner three, no backboard help, same distance, typically one side rebounds.

We will continue to see run outs from the zone to corner threes. More pressure up top will make it difficult to get the ball in vulnerable spots but won't change which spots are vulnerable. However Haith hasn't shown much interest in a high pressure on top approach, something I think Jackson could really excel in. This zone design seems focused on absorbing offensive pressure, preventing drives, and confusing the offense when it attempts to counter defensive strategies. I think it is also the cause of some of our rebounding woes because teams can crash the boards vs two in position Tulsa players creating a numbers issue.
Now he's educating Nevada. He's so brilliant. For tomorrow's show, he'll educate ctt8410.

Now he's educating Nevada. He's so brilliant. For tomorrow's show, he'll educate ctt8410.

One day you'll actually contribute and people will be so proud of you. As it is thanks for the compliment.

Can you refute anything I just posted? Ask any high school or 18 and under competitive coach to break down how zones work and where the short corners are in each version. 1-3-1, 2-3, 3-2, 2-1-2, 1-2-2 all have strengths and weaknesses. Each one is used for a different purpose or strategy. How an offense attacks the zone is dependent on where those weaknesses are. This is quite simply basketball 101 stuff.

Probably a bit of both. I am often screaming for a switch back to man or a stickier version of the match up to prevent this late in games. Even for one or two possessions it changes the look and forces the offense to reevaluate and adjust allowing the standard switching zone defense to be more effective.
I agree, switching to a different look defense late in close games, especially out of a timeout just to show something different and perhaps give the offense something to think about, usually ends up with a good result. In our man to man days under Haith, he would show the 2-3 zone for 2-3 possessions and then switch back. Heck, I'd be happy if we showed a crazy hectic trap defense against teams like Cincinnati that rely on 1 guy to do the bulk of the damage (Cumberland).

I agree, switching to a different look defense late in close games, especially out of a timeout just to show something different and perhaps give the offense something to think about, usually ends up with a good result. In our man to man days under Haith, he would show the 2-3 zone for 2-3 possessions and then switch back. Heck, I'd be happy if we showed a crazy hectic trap defense against teams like Cincinnati that rely on 1 guy to do the bulk of the damage (Cumberland).

I think he occasionally just gets stubborn (similar to his subbing). Especially with us using a match up zone, sliding into a 2-3 or man occasionally puts a lot of pressure on offensive players to identify the defense before attacking it and will likely lead to a few mistakes before they figure it out.

2)
Will be an issue, at least for fans, as long as we run the 3-2 zone. It is kind of baked in
to the defense.

I think you are right..Many of the close games were decided by turnovers, improving
there will probably result in more key wins.
Not necessarily. The corners
open up not so much because of the zone but rather the way we help in the middle
because of our lack of size. I’m hoping the addition of Ugboh will mean the man
guarding the corner won’t have to cheat to the middle so much.

Nevada has a point....The additions of Rachal and Ugboh in particular will give us the
opportunity to not only play a more honest zone, but also play what should be a good
man to man....Jackson, Joiner, and Korita, among others, are good man-up defenders,
and we should be able to switch up defenses as the situation dictates....

You have to be concerned about the early part of this coming season...There are so
many new players, and two new teaching assistants....There will be a lot to learn, and
not enough time....I.I. (among others) is right....We do need a Canadian trip!

Nevada has a point....The additions of Rachal and Ugboh in particular will give us the
opportunity to not only play a more honest zone, but also play what should be a good
man to man....Jackson, Joiner, and Korita, among others, are good man-up defenders,
and we should be able to switch up defenses as the situation dictates....

You have to be concerned about the early part of this coming season...There are so
many new players, and two new teaching assistants....There will be a lot to learn, and
not enough time....I.I. (among others) is right....We do need a Canadian trip!

I agree and as I stated it will make it more difficult to get the ball to those spots. Particularly Ugboh as a true rim protector will allow more freedom for other low players and the guards to play more pressure defense knowing they have an eraser to clean it up.

My hope is the athleticism we saw from Falokun will give us an alternate shot blocker down low so we can maintain the same defensive posture through out the season.

A preseason international trip would help the team a lot.

Reactions: seniorgolfer
One day you'll actually contribute and people will be so proud of you.

Can you refute anything I just posted? Ask any high school or 18 and under competitive coach to break down how zones work and where the short corners are in each version. 1-3-1, 2-3, 3-2, 2-1-2, 1-2-2 all have strengths and weaknesses. Each one is used for a different purpose or strategy. How an offense attacks the zone is dependent on where those weaknesses are. This is quite simply basketball 101 stuff.
In this instance there are things that emphasize those weaknesses and things that deemphasize those weaknesses. Nevada was trying to point this out, and all you could do is push your I know it all better than you attitude. You do this repeatedly. That is one of the reasons why you are annoying. And now you are attempting to save face, and backtracking to admit you agree with Nevada.

Done.

In this instance there are things that emphasize those weaknesses and things that deemphasize those weaknesses. Nevada was trying to point this out, and all you could do is push your I know it all better than you attitude. You do this repeatedly. That is why you are annoying. And now you are backtracking and admitting you agree with Nevada.

Done.

Wait what?

I backed up? You mean the part where I specifically talked about in the original response how pressure would help to keep the ball out of spots but not change spots? Then repeated it again with senior?

We will continue to see corner 3s so long as we play a 3-2 zone. It is a simple matter of fact that the corner three is not well covered in this defense and every team accepts the risk of that when running the 3-2 defense, regardless of who the players are. Unless you find guys with 11ft wingspans.

Listen, you don't like me, I don't care. If you ever added anything to these conversations I might. But we both know that's not going to happen so I don't worry about it.

Keep showing you're an ass if you want. I will keep making fun of you for doing it. See everyone can be happy.

My fervent hope and prayer is that this year all these new players are as good as we think they are. And, that our staff can develop the chemistry needed to play well on both ends.

Memphis has had an unreal recruiting cycle, but Penny will have the same challenge Frank has. Albeit, with what appears to be a stable of Thorobreds.

and to think...some people actually questioned Memphis when we released Tubby.

It had to happen. Tubby's a good guy and a good coach but Penny had the players along with a well crafted plan...and it's working.

and to think...some people actually questioned Memphis when we released Tubby.

It had to happen. Tubby's a good guy and a good coach but Penny had the players along with a well crafted plan...and it's working.

You haven't played a game yet under Penny's plan, how'd LSU do with Ben Simmons?

It's a good class, but don't count your chickens yet, you still have to play games with an inexperienced coach and players which can cause their own issues as they all figure it out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT