ADVERTISEMENT

GAMES OF INTEREST (12.02.19) WITH RPI

loca2874

I.T.S. Athletic Director
Jan 23, 2008
Stafford, VA
Played through a perfect slate in yesterdays games 5-0. December is here an that means the end of our Non Conference Schedule and the toughest of the Non Conference games. NET is still not out so I am still using the RPI for the mean time.

This is who we have left and what their RPI is

Arkansas Pine Bluff 312
Arkansas State 177
Boise State 60
@ Arkansas 14
Colorado State 109
@ Kansas State 169

Todays Games

North Texas (193) at UT Arlington ( 97 )
Florida A&M (225) at Kansas State (169)
Furman (144) at South Florida (324)

RPI Rankings
Temple (21) Down 9
Wichita St (43) Down 1
Cincinnati (50)No Change
UConn (59) Down 6
Memphis (78) Down 1
UCF (89) Up 44
Houston (147) Up 5
SMU (166) No Change
Tulsa (183) Up 2
Tulane (204) Down 5
ECU (273) Down 2
South FL. (324) Down 1

UT Arlington is down 12 with 38 seconds left before half.
KState is up 12 with 32 seconds before half
South Florida is up by 8 with 2 minutes left in the game

We must have really stunk it up at UTA because North Texas is way ahead now

Reactions: loca2874
We must have really stunk it up at UTA because North Texas is way ahead now
I agree with that. I think if we played them now we would beat the brakes off them. It was game 2 and we were not playing like a team then

UTA lost to North Texas and NT lost to Arkansas by 23.

UTA was just another WTF!>!?!!?!?@#LKJF:LKJDSFO*(EUWR..... Loss by Frank Haith to start the season.

Add it to the list of:

Lamar, ORU x 2, UALR, SEOSU, Jacksonville St, Southern Illinois.

UTA was just another WTF!>!?!!?!?@#LKJF:LKJDSFO*(EUWR..... Loss by Frank Haith to start the season.

Add it to the list of:

I am not hanging the SEOSU game on him. His sister had just died.

Add it to the list of:

I'll give Haith a break on the UALR one. Wasn't Beard their coach back then? That team could play. They went 30-5 on the season and made the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament losing to 4 seed Iowa State.

well it's clear UTA is now our annual "bad loss" on the road. But TU has avoided a bad loss or any loss at home. Still 3 more OOC games at home and one quasi-neutral at BOK to go.

We avoided bad home losses last year as well. The biggest factor has been swapping out decent mid-majors in the 200s for bad low-majors in the 300s. The problem is that NCAA selection is moving more towards efficiency metrics every year and beating bad teams by 7 is now a detriment to your resume.

I'll give Haith a break on the UALR one. Wasn't Beard their coach back then? That team could play. They went 30-5 on the season and made the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament losing to 4 seed Iowa State.
I'm not talking about that one. I'm talking about the other time he lost to Yooler (UGHHH!) It was in 16-17. Wes Flanigan was the HC for a UALR team that finished 15-17 that season.

He's also lost to Illinois State 3 times.

I am not hanging the SEOSU game on him. His sister had just died.
And my response is.... why when you have a death of a close loved one are you still coaching? Take a night off, let your assistant fill in. I would have understood losing if we lost with an assistant filling in. But if you're going to be coaching, I expect you to coach.

I'm not talking about that one. I'm talking about the other time he lost to Yooler (UGHHH!) It was in 16-17. Wes Flanigan was the HC for a UALR team that finished 15-17 that season.

He's also lost to Illinois State 3 times.
I was more pissed about the Illinois St losses. They were inexplicable to me.

And my response is.... why when you have a death of a close loved one are you still coaching? Take a night off, let your assistant fill in. I would have understood losing if we lost with an assistant filling in. But if you're going to be coaching, I expect you to coach.
I would agree that he should have taken the night off. I am still not hanging that one on him. State of mind. He should have taken that game off.

I was more pissed about the Illinois St losses. They were inexplicable to me.
I was there when we lost to Illinois State in Myrtle Beach and it didn't matter what we did that little fella was making anything he threw up from anywhere on the court. 3's were going in like crazy. The rest of them...I am with ya on that.

I dunno, some people take refuge in the routine. His head may not have been in his work, but it may have somehow been good for him to try and maintain a semblance of normalcy. I'll give it to him and let him grieve in his own way.

In related news, Barry Hinson took off a game at SIU when his son-in-law (and friend of mine) died suddenly one Christmas. They went into a losing skid and the media was really sympathetic, so I agree Haith could have stayed home if he wanted and nobody would have blamed him.

Reactions: loca2874 and TU_BLA
I dunno, some people take refuge in the routine. His head may not have been in his work, but it may have somehow been good for him to try and maintain a semblance of normalcy. I'll give it to him and let him grieve in his own way.

In related news, Barry Hinson took off a game at SIU when his son-in-law (and friend of mine) died suddenly one Christmas. They went into a losing skid and the media was really sympathetic, so I agree Haith could have stayed home if he wanted and nobody would have blamed him.
Coaches miss games occasionally for illnesses or bereavement. It's ok. I just hope the next AD / coach combo learns that your mentality during a game is important. If you're thinking about something else, you probably shouldn't be on the sideline. Cronin took time off for an aneurysm. Blake Anderson at ASU took time off when his wife died. No one blamed him.

If you need the time... take it. Maybe that loss is more on Gragg? I'm not sure... but one thing is for sure. Haith shouldn't have been on the sideline. It's not like he didn't have assistants with experience. I think that was the season where we had 3 assistants with extensive head coaching tenures.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT