ADVERTISEMENT

Game thread SMU

All networks showing Seannegan butt pass. Hate to lose by one and rewatch that over and over.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Haith tried to call timeout. Ref didn't hear him. They talked about it during timeout.

Decent amount of TU fans but they are spread out.

2 worst ref calls weren't replayed or even discussed by announcers : Wright's charge & Woodard's rebound foul. Those cost TU at least 4 points. Anyone who sees a replay, I'd love to know you're opinion on those 2 calls.

Regardless, we're in the game at halftime. We have to keep our defensive intensity up & play better on offense. Reduce TOs & make FTs & we have a chance. BTW, great defense on Moore in the first half. He's a 2nd half player, so we really have to keep it up for 20 more minutes.

Originally posted by bigzit:
Shaquille buried into a set defender. Easy call. If only he could learn a spot up jumper. If only.......
The key to breaking down SMU's defense is constant movement without the ball, setting back picks, penetraing the lane and finding the open shooter, and flashing bigs to the rim. Easier said then done.

Shaq not playing smart today, but he needs to be on the court to defend Nic Moore, and allow Ray to spot up from the arc. Shaq gave SMU two extra possessions when he got himself trapped and failed to call a TO, and when he pentrated the lane and ran over Cunningham. Shaq just needs to settle down and play within himself.

If Haith can get the bigs to set a back screens for Shaq at the top of the key, so Shaq can drive the lane, he can then kick it out to Juice or Ray at the arc, with for an open 3-ball or 2 in the paint with the big who set the back pick flashing to the rim for Shaq. SMU collapses their guards when Shaq penetrates, the 3-ball is there if Shaq can quick dish the ball.

Pony does not do well when the a picked from behind. TK set a perfect back pick that woud have free'd Juice for a layup but the official blew the call and charged TK with a moving screen.

TX

Defense is unbelievable really. Tons of hands on passes. Creating turnovers.

Woodard is a 3pt streaky shooter. That who he is. Keep bombing if you're hot.

Ray has to play most of 2H and we have to hope he can get hot as well. Our guards just can't drive on big athletic teams. Or haven't yet in their career (maybe we can hope).

If our bigs catch another dang ball 5ft from the basket and instead of taking an open shot try to bury into a crowded basket area, they should be benched permanently :) I guess they don't feel they can make them, but charging in to a crowded basket area is futile.

Refs aren't perfect. They're people. I hope they let it go again in 2H as we are hacking and fighting everything on def.

I didn't think officiating was bad. There is always going to be some missed and bad calls. I don't think they have been excesive. I also don't think we are playing that bad. Yes we have a lot of turnovers, but so does SMU. I think the players are playing hard. The D looks pretty good so far. Lets hope they can pull it off in the second half.

Originally posted by Tulsafanzz:
2 worst ref calls weren't replayed or even discussed by announcers : Wright's charge & Woodard's rebound foul. Those cost TU at least 4 points. Anyone who sees a replay, I'd love to know you're opinion on those 2 calls.

Regardless, we're in the game at halftime. We have to keep our defensive intensity up & play better on offense. Reduce TOs & make FTs & we have a chance. BTW, great defense on Moore in the first half. He's a 2nd half player, so we really have to keep it up for 20 more minutes.
TK's perfect back pick was called a moving screen, he could not have been anymore set. The SMU defender crashed into him, causing TK to move, but the official only saw TK moving, so he assumed he was never set. Assuming seems to be the M.O. for the officials of the AAC. HORRIBLE call as the pick would have lead to an easy layup opportunity.

TX

Best dunk I've seen in the NCAA all year!

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Originally posted by JMCTULSA:

I didn't think officiating was bad. There is always going to be some missed and bad calls. I don't think they have been excesive. I also don't think we are playing that bad. Yes we have a lot of turnovers, but so does SMU. I think the players are playing hard. The D looks pretty good so far. Lets hope they can pull it off in the second half.
They're not near as bad as the crew that called the SMU game in Tulsa, but you would expect them to correctly call the obvious fouls, and not make an assumption. Anytime the call is 50/50 you have to accept the outcome.

TX

we're a great defensive team and this is the best defense I've even seen us play. WOW. If we can somehow maintain this for another 15 game minutes, I think we'll win.

the AAC had for some reason focused on illegal screens the last 3 games. I've been meaning to ask if anyone knows if someone got hurt or something??? I've seen more called in the last 3 games (for and against us) than the entire rest of the season combined. It can't be coincidence.

Let's hope the officials continue to allow active hands on defense.

TX

Wright just raped Nick Moore... No call.

Shaq gets thrown down, no call.

Bad refs are bad.

These refs are ok. They are not Higgins Steed or Edsall. Not kissing up to Larry yet.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Nothing to complain about. Just think positive thoughts. Curtis had been great on Moore. Say what you will about him but he came to play today.

Swan just getting sumoed off the block by Kennedy. Drop shoulder, ram out of way, score...

Is Wright getting a lot of time for his one basket or his one rebound.

Last offensive set for smu, Kennedy never left the paint 6 --7 seconds no problem...

I don't feel good about this... Its like SMU figured us out.

TU is 17-1 when holding the opponent to 64 points or less, only Cincinnati has beaten TU scoring less.

Just like last time, SMu is killing TU in the paint. 24-12 with 9:00 to go.

TX

We're desperate for points. Shades of game at TU. They go on run, we are anemic on offense.

Woodard and/or Ray have to shoot. Wright jacking up 3's isn't the answer to winning this game.

We're getting killed on the inside and losing too many 50/50 balls at the moment.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT