ADVERTISEMENT

Game thoughts Honduras

HuffyCane

I.T.S. Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 25, 2004
Tough to watch

US cannot win with this lineup if they fall behind. USA strengths have always been physicality on defense and speed on the wings on the counter. No speed on the wings this time. Communication clearly an issue for a new defense led to lack of physicality.

Altidore up top alone is a waste of time. There's a reason why Conor Casey took over this game last time. Altidore is best on the breakaway facing the goal. That's a tough bill if the defense is keeping shape to protect a lead and there's nobody out wide creating space. If the USA is down by a goal after 70 minutes, close the book with these tactics and lineup.

Still lack someone to breakdown a defense

Klinsmann clearly made mistakes. Chandler looked like he hiked Denali after 30 minutes but stayed in. Eddie Johnson came off which was the best option to create space unless you go to a 4-4-2 and give Altidore Herc to work off of into the box. Klinsmann went into a shell on the road with no subs and 20 minutes to go. No wonder they scored. Burning your last sub not knowing if a young defense would last is a problem. No super sub to counter the late goal.

The overseas guys were all tired. Not sure I agree with playing all of them.

Donovan makes a difference. I hate to say it, but there it is. If he ever stops making a difference, we are in trouble.

This is CONCACAF Hex. Your captain must be a field player.

Gonzalez will make a difference down the line despite the mistake.

4 Hondurans in this game play in MLS. 2 for the USA. Most of the rest of the Honduran lineup did not travel more than 3 hours by plane. It showed. We had tested and rested players on the bench. Klinnsie's gamble broke us.

I hate Mexico

The only thing stranger than that game was the game that night in Mexico City...

Originally posted by HuffyCane:

I hate Mexico
I agree with most everything that you said. In addition to some mental lapses that led to goals, the passing out of the back was just atrocious. I don't really have any issues with JK playing Gonzalez over Boca, who is playing on a cellar team in Spain's 2nd division, but Omar has got to be better with his deliveries in the future.

I do not understand how Danny Williams continues to see minutes, much less start. He is supposed to be a holding midfielder, but wilts under pressure and is not willing to do the dirty work that is necessary in that role. As bad as our defense looked at times (I'm looking at you, Chandler), our midfielders were practically nonexistent.

Incredibly frustrating game to watch.

A difficult game to watch that was made even more unpleasant by the 3-man booth. At one point, I think Cobi Jones talked for a minute straight without taking a breath about how humidity is wet.

I'm more concerned than ever that a playoff with New Zealand is a distinct possibility.

I'm so over Altidore as well. That poor bastard is never really put in a position to succeed anyway. He hasn't been any good since Davies was out there.

Originally posted by ctt8410:
I'm more concerned than ever that a playoff with New Zealand is a distinct possibility.
Anything less than three points out of Costa Rica in Denver and a loss in Mexicoma will mean we will be lucky to get there.

Mexico and Honduras are legit. We recently lost to Jamaica and Panama might be the hottest team in the Hex. Costa Rica is a traditional power, but down a little. That's fifth place boys, maybe. No Trinidads or Antiguas in this round ...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT