ADVERTISEMENT

Game/Season Thoughts

I've always liked Skipper better and figured he would start until I heard different this summer. But to me, and I know I'm in the minority now, President clearly has the talent to get the job done. If Monty is going to stay with him he needs to open things up and trust him to make plays. Being tentative and predictable with the passing game doesn't help.

If you asked him to throw 5 deep balls in a row right now, 1 would be complete. 1 would be a duck ball that should be intercepted by any decent cornerback and 3 would be underthrown or overthrown and uncatchable. He's been in the system for 3 years now. He's had all of high school and close to 3 years of college to learn to throw a decent long ball. I don't agree that he "clearly" has the talent to get the job done any more than Cody Green did.

Reactions: TUGrad06
If you asked him to throw 5 deep balls in a row right now, 1 would be complete. 1 would be a duck ball that should be intercepted by any decent cornerback and 3 would be underthrown or overthrown and uncatchable. He's been in the system for 3 years now. He's had all of high school and close to 3 years of college to learn to throw a decent long ball. I don't agree that he "clearly" has the talent to get the job done any more than Cody Green did.

Sounds a lot like Dane with the deep ball as a sophomore. To quote one of his coaches "he has the touch of a rapist." Some things do improve as you go. Typically sophomores aren't great QBs

Sounds a lot like Dane with the deep ball as a sophomore. To quote one of his coaches "he has the touch of a rapist." Some things do improve as you go. Typically sophomores aren't great QBs
Dane threw for 3000+ yards his sophomore year and his biggest problem was throwing the ball too hard or into spaces that he shouldn't have. That's a discipline thing, not an arm talent / mechanics / accuracy thing.

Remind you of anybody?

Dane threw for 3000+ yards his sophomore year and his biggest problem was throwing the ball too hard or into spaces that he shouldn't have. That's a discipline thing, not an arm talent / mechanics / accuracy thing.

Remind you of anybody?

Not really.

Look I know you're intent on arguing forever about everything, but my point was really about how Monty needs to actually run his offense regardless of who he goes with at QB. I understand protecting a young QB, but we're 5 weeks into the season so I think it's time for the kid gloves to come off. If he believes President is the guy then he should give him the chance to show it rather than waiting until 3rd and 9 just to throw a 5 yard slant or desperation deep ball. There's no chance for success or real failure with what we're doing now. No TDs, no INTs, just us complaining about the QB

Last edited:
Not really.

Look I know you're intent on arguing forever about everything, but my point was really about how Monty needs to actually run his offense regardless of who he goes with at QB. I understand protecting a young QB, but we're 5 weeks into the season so I think it's time for the kid gloves to come off. If he believes President is the guy then he should give him the chance to show it rather than waiting until 3rd and 9 just to throw a 5 yard slant or desperation deep ball. There's no chance for success or real failure with what we're doing now. No TDs, no INTs, just us complaining about the QB
Fair enough.

If he reminds me of anyone, it’s John Franklin III. Most of you guys will remember him from the first season Last Chance U on Netflix where the stubborn coach was beguiled by his running ability and started him at QB over a lesser regarded player but who was a better passer. The idea was similar to what we are hearing from Coach. That he will develop as a passer and there will be some moment where the whole team will just gel behind him. By the end of the season, he was benched. This was not a surprise for me, I watched the same thing happen to him at FSU. That’s why he was at Last Chance in the first place. Gus signed him, I still don’t understand why, and Gus too was in love with the running ability. Auburn couldn’t pass with him and they lost games they should have won, and the coach was on the hot seat, so they benched him in favor of some who could throw the ball. He graduated and transferred to FAU where Kiffin told him he could play QB and exploit his running ability. He lost the job in camp. Through 4 games, he has 4 receptions for about 100 yards. Which is a waste. If he had a couple of years to learn the position, he has NFL strength balance speed and power.

Which is a conversation that needs to be had with President. What is in the best interest of your child? He’s a father. Benching him or moving him has real impact on his future earning potential. It could be good or it could be bad.

Anyhoo ... here’s the Franklin footage and remember these are his best plays. There’s plenty of ducks in other clips.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
And enough about the WRs hurting his performance please.

Good coaching and a good offensive program finds the talent that can play, develops it, and puts the passer and the receiver in positions to make plays. We have kids with the raw physical talent to develop into special receivers. We aren’t seeing. We should ask why.

I’ve never liked the Gus nostalgia. But it’s worth noting he lost too many games and came real close to getting fired (and still might) for his love affair with a QB that could run. He is back to basics and running his plays his ways — and the guy on track to be his leading receiver is 5’10” 175lbs and was the back up kicker two years ago and a practice player most of last year. Who threw the balls he caught in high school? Will Hefley ...

I see what you're saying; although, that guy has a much tighter spiral on long balls than Chad does.

You are watching his best plays. If you have watched him throw off his back foot on second and long and the defense is bringing pressure, you would think it was the Groucho Marx Show with all the ducks flying around.

It’s tough to find quick examples on YouTube. But just like Chad, Franklin was recruited as an athlete by major programs and ended up signing with FOUR different teams that promised him a chance at QB because they thought his run threat would force the defense to defend the whole field and his athleticism could break tackles and force big plays. Time and again, whether because of penalties or pressure, the teams had to throw and he couldn’t and it lost games.

Here’s an episode that’s online. It’s mildly entertaining throughout, especially the part where a referee tries to punch the coach, but if you fast forward into game play, you’ll see them move the ball and score at will, but only when he is not in the game. He throws a pick around the 28 minute mark. We are watching a similar story unfold. Let’s hope it has a better ending for the player and the team this time around.

I don't even care about the long ball. OUr passing game is predictable <5 yards on an out. Keevan and Atkinson made their names running those slants that were almost always good for 8 yards without any YAC. We have guys who can get open deep and mid range IF the coaches call the right play and route tree. Stewart can be another version of Hobbs and Key, but he's always running a 5 yard out or a quick square in.

Someone did mention that President's doesn't deliver the ball on time every time and it gets the WRs hit HARD. This is a true statement. If Dane had a fault, it was he threw the ball too hard on shorter routes but it was almost always on time. Late passes get WRs killed and never gives them the opportunity to get extra YAC. His arm strength is average for a college QB. We've been spoiled with Dane and Cody (Cody had a strong arm just wasn't terribly accurate nor did he deliver the ball on time or to the right receiver). With President's arm strength (or lack of) it means he needs to anticipate the throw and deliver it on time.

Of course the one throw he really delivered on time and did a nice job with last week was dropped and killed a drive that could have put us up 21. WRs need to help him out too. (Don't forget the play he kept alive and made a nice throw to Hobbs downfield that would have been a TD that got called back for holding on the OL). Monty has been calling President a play maker the whole time...he needs to start calling plays that allow him make them.

BTW, one of my favorite plays is the fake hand off and running the H-Back out into the seam. No one has caught onto this play since Monty has been here.

Reactions: quincy101
Anyone just think that one of the reasons PM was hired was because he told his future bosses that he could bring the next RGIII to Tulsa?

Based on tonight’s call in show, I don’t think there’s a chance Skipper plays against Tulane and very little chance he plays at all the rest of the season.

Skipper never appears ready to play while on the sideline. It's as if he knows that he's never going in so why bother. I'm confident that if Chad were to get hurt, we would have to call a timeout so that Skipper could find his helmet.

Smart people make changes when things aren't working. Stubborn or insane people do the same thing over and over without changing anything. Right now Monty is stubborn, hopefully not insane. I'd imagine he's losing some of his team too with his inability to make changes. If I was a backup qb wanting some PT, I'd be pissed coach never puts someone else in and let's the same overhyped 4 star recruit tank the team with his terrible passing.

Skipper never appears ready to play while on the sideline. It's as if he knows that he's never going in so why bother. I'm confident that if Chad were to get hurt, we would have to call a timeout so that Skipper could find his helmet.
I get his sentiment if that's true. If he thinks coach is playing favorites with Chad then why should he care. It's not professional, but he's a kid. Monty is being an idiot.

And enough about the WRs hurting his performance please.

Good coaching and a good offensive program finds the talent that can play, develops it, and puts the passer and the receiver in positions to make plays. We have kids with the raw physical talent to develop into special receivers. We aren’t seeing. We should ask why.

I’ve never liked the Gus nostalgia. But it’s worth noting he lost too many games and came real close to getting fired (and still might) for his love affair with a QB that could run. He is back to basics and running his plays his ways — and the guy on track to be his leading receiver is 5’10” 175lbs and was the back up kicker two years ago and a practice player most of last year. Who threw the balls he caught in high school? Will Hefley ...
I agree. I think Stewart and Keenan Johnson look like studs. If only they had a qb and play calling to use their skills.

I've always liked Skipper better and figured he would start until I heard different this summer. But to me, and I know I'm in the minority now, President clearly has the talent to get the job done. If Monty is going to stay with him he needs to open things up and trust him to make plays. Being tentative and predictable with the passing game doesn't help.
There's no arc on President's long throws, they're all line drives. Until he gains confidence and strength to put some "air" under the ball his throws have to be perfect to hit his receivers.

There's no arc on President's long throws, they're all line drives. Until he gains confidence and strength to put some "air" under the ball his throws have to be perfect to hit his receivers.
Not true. He put too much air under the balls to Carter (p.i. was called) and Johnson (Johnson never went up to get the ball). The D was able to "recover" on both and not allow catches

Not true. He put too much air under the balls to Carter (p.i. was called) and Johnson (Johnson never went up to get the ball). The D was able to "recover" on both and not allow catches
If you're talking about the bomb at the five yard line, he barely touched it running full speed. He could have gone horizontal for it but no jump ball. It was catchable though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT