ADVERTISEMENT

Game/Season Thoughts

goldenhurricane2

I.T.S. Head Coach
Gold Member
Sep 9, 2006
Unfortunately, this looks like it will be a long season. There are moments and flashes of greatness, but they are overshadowed by so many mistakes, it makes it hard to appreciate them. Each phase of the game has its own set of positives and negatives as does the overall game day experience and attendance.

Offense

While Brewer and Brooks had a little bit of a rough day on the ground, they are both great backs that can get the job done. Further, Chad ran the ball pretty well today as well. The offensive line should get credit as well… the other teams know exactly what we’re going to line up and do about 90% of the time and we still manage to break nice runs as well as have a good per game rushing average.

On the flip side, Chad doesn’t seem like he has the ability to consistently throw and accurate pass beyond 10 yards or so. To make matters worse, our receivers seem to be lost most of the time Hobbs, for as much hype as he received in the off season, as dropped a lot of easy balls so far this season. If he wants to be the go to guy, he needs to step up and make some catches.

I’m not sure what the deal is with the play calling… Is it because we really don’t have the ability to do much more or is it something else? The first two drives seemed good, but I know that at least the first series of every game is pre-mapped out (all the plays are pre-set) and the team just runs through them quickly. It seems that after we make it through these pre-set plays, that trouble begins to set in. Again, I’m not sure if that falls on Chad making poor decisions or if it’s poor play calling or what. However, I do know that on 3rd and long that you shouldn’t throw to your back that’s well covered 3 yards beyond the line of scrimmage when you need 9 for a first down. Scenarios like the one just mentioned seem to happen quite often with Chad throwing the ball.

I think we have some tools on offense, but it just seems like they aren’t working together. I hope with time they work this out – we’ll know more next season.

Defence

The defense has received a pretty bad wrap over the first part of the season and rightfully so. Our secondary has to be one of the worst in the country. Further, the entire defense just seems a step behind on most plays. Is this a conditioning issue or is it a coaching issue? I know Bill Young/Brian Norwood are well respected, but jeez… something has to change on defense. Recruiting defensive backs needs to be a priority.

The defense does seem to come up with big plays when we need them. The strip of the Navy WR in the first quarter was textbook. They have also come up with similar plays every week. Again, I’m not sure if it’s luck or what, but I’ll take whatever we can get at this point.

Special Teams

Our Special Teams may be the highlight of our team. Jones seems like he’s really improved in distance an accuracy. The new punter has a leg and seems like he gets decent hang time and is typically good with directional kicks. The blocked kick today was fantastic as well. Great speed off the edge to snag that one.

The only downside on special teams seems to be in the coverage/return games. Coverage is generally ok, but there have been too many returns that end up about 10-15 yards longer than they should be because we don’t tackle well. Our returners can’t seem to get more than very short returns on both punts and kickoffs… Our blocking is either poor or the returner runs directly into the crowded part of the field.

Overall we have a team with potential, but some changes have to be made for there to be any type of success this year. Playing like we have the past few games will lead to 1 maybe 2 more wins this season.

Game Day Experience/Attendance

The game day experience at TU is the best it’s ever been. The amenities are good, the concession options are plentiful, The tailgate spaces are great, there is alcohol (and not just bud light, but nicer craft beers and wine), ticket prices are reasonable compared to other local sports (Drillers, Roughnecks, etc.), and Campus is so much more aesthetically pleasing than it was just 10 years ago.

I few things I would change would be:

Designate an area that is open for tailgating for free. Chapman Commons is great/beautiful, but you have to shell out $600 for a tailgate spot for the year. Some people may like to just tailgate at one or two games per year, so having a free, first come first served, tailgate area may add to the overall pre-game day experience.

The atmosphere in the stadium is lacking… granted there isn’t a lot to get excited about on the field, but even before we crapped the bed, it was dead in there. The Navy fans in the corner were louder than all the rest of our fans put together. Sorry, but getting a free taco (and diarrhea) from taco bell isn’t going to get the stadium riled up. It seems like this would be an opportunity to have a consultant come in and lay some outside eyes on what we’re doing and make some suggestions – it doesn’t have to be someone spectacular, someone from the Drillers would be a good start.

Make the city feel welcome at games. I’m an alum, so is my wife, as well as many of my friends who attend the games. BUT we will NEVER be able to fill our stadium with just our alumni. It even needs to go further than casual sports fans. Those guys show up from time to time for name opponents or when TU is hosting a big game. I’m talking about people who really don’t even follow sports, but want to have an exciting time. People like that are who can make a difference. The problem is, they don’t know how fun a TU game can be because, more than likely, they think of TU as a) snobby/unwelcoming or b) a terrible experience based on what they witnessed when they game at some point over the last couple of decades before improvements were made. Obviously this is the golden egg and if someone knew how to crack it, I’m sure they would have at this point, but I still think it’s worth noting.

The attendance today wasn’t awful at a little over 21k, especially if you take into consideration the number of people who chose the fair over the TU game. But as I was driving into the game earlier, I thought to myself, wow – this fair traffic should be what it looks like at 11th and Harvard for most home games. We need those mullets, jorts, cutoff sleeveless nascar shirts, less than high school educations, and so on. We need all those people to get to where we need to be in regard to attendance and atmosphere.

Finally, but still VERY important: TU needs your financial support. Before you complain, be sure you’ve written than check to the GHC, regardless of what you think of our coaches, administration, or whatever it may be, we need to support our student athletes because they represent our alma mater and deserve nothing less. Further, TU simply cannot keep up financially with some of the massive schools in our conference in regard to athletic dollars. So, do whatever you can – if that’s $50, then great! That’s $50 the athletic department didn’t have before. We’re all in this together and we all want to see TU be successful.

I’ll see you all in a couple of weeks for homecoming!

Oh and one last thing - Goldie was out before the game practicing retrieving tees. She was doing pretty well from what I saw. Maybe we'll see her out there soon.

I think this is a tough coaching situation for an inexperienced coach since it's been kind of whack-a-mole. First couple games the O looked between pretty good and really good (on output) and D looked horrendous. I'm sure they focused on D, and then had two games where D looked ok to pretty good and O was horrendous. How do you get it all together at once and get both units better? It's a tough job and one Monty is probably dealing with for the first time. He's only got so much time and attention.

Reactions: Air_Raid918
I think this is a tough coaching situation for an inexperienced coach since it's been kind of whack-a-mole. First couple games the O looked between pretty good and really good (on output) and D looked horrendous. I'm sure they focused on D, and then had two games where D looked ok to pretty good and O was horrendous. How do you get it all together at once and get both units better? It's a tough job and one Monty is probably dealing with for the first time. He's only got so much time and attention.

You're probably right. We have some potential, it's just not coming together for some reason. That's why the "fire Monty" crap is so annoying.

Coaches have to adjust to the new players and call plays to their strengths. The process has taken longer than expected, replacing Evans, Lucas, Flanders, and Atkinson. The first two in particular.

Keenan and Hobbs have been serviceable, although I don't think we've given them enough touches. We've burned Keylon Stokes' redshirt, why not give him some opportunities on offense.

Coaches have to adjust to the new players and call plays to their strengths. The process has taken longer than expected, replacing Evans, Lucas, Flanders, and Atkinson. The first two in particular.

Keenan and Hobbs have been serviceable, although I don't think we've given them enough touches. We've burned Keylon Stokes' redshirt, why not give him some opportunities on offense.
Yeah with the Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hyde of this team it's taken a little longer probably for coaches to get their arms around what they have, especially with some holes we probably didn't expect. I think we'll know a lot more on how the coaches respond after the next 3 games or so.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
The receiving corps talents would probably show improvement with consistency from the quarterback position with more touches showing more accuracy and strength from the QB. The receivers have their flaws, but with inconsistency from the QB, I think their flaws are magnified beyond what they are.

Last edited:
Plain and simple your QB cannot be 10% accurate on downfield throws unless you are running the triple option.

Other places to improve but this one is crucial.

Reactions: goldenhurricane2
The receiving corps talents would probably show improvement with consistency from the quarterback position with more touches showing more accuracy and strength from the QB. The receivers have their flaws, but I think their flaws are magnified beyond what they are, with inconsistency from the QB.

I think you're right, although I've seen Hobbs drop several balls that hit him right in the numbers. It's just hard to watch when we got so used to what we had last season.

I think you're right, although I've seen Hobbs drop several balls that hit him right in the numbers. It's just hard to watch when we got so used to what we had last season.
Hobbs has dropped some balls he should have caught, but I think he's so used to having contact right when he catches the ball that he gets a bit timid when the balls coming his way. He rarely gets the ball delivered on time when he comes open. It's usually a second or two late.

GHurc2 is on to something. We got spoiled by school & NCAA record holders the last couple of years. Realistically, how could anyone expect anything but a rebuilding year. Which means coming within 4 seconds of being 3-2 is a tribute to our guys. I for one was hoping to be bowl eligible but that might not happen. Also, Rick C. said something vs. Navy( & New Mex) that makes sense: their ball control, long drives screws up our hurry up O rythm. And still, until poor Nigel's drop we were in rythm & headed for a 21-0 lead with great confidence. It sucks to go through a year like this, but Monty & Co. will eventually get it right. TU Football: 1st,last,always!

Still trying to figure out our defensive scheme. You almost never hear Brubacker, Shindelar, and Suits names getting called. also Petera's name seems to be on mute most of the time. What kind of scheme is Young calling that takes these guys out of the play?

Putting Brubaker at end is a problem. Not enough speed for that position.

Still trying to figure out our defensive scheme. You almost never hear Brubacker, Shindelar, and Suits names getting called. also Petera's name seems to be on mute most of the time. What kind of scheme is Young calling that takes these guys out of the play?
Brubaker and Kolton didn't play saturday. Petera played great against New Mexico. In my opinion, Navy's players had the mindset, will and determination to overcome TU's quick start and push through the same fatigue that TU's players felt. They never let up..just grinding right thru TU's defense.

We don’t have the depth at DL to run 100 plays on offense,especially with two senior starts out. Part of the slow down and running binge is to limit the number of plays our defense has to face. Or at least, that’s one potential explanation for our 1960’s Southwest Conference offensive strategy.

Seriously watching those two teams on Saturday trying to pass was like watching the 1991 OU-Colorado game where both teams had no passing personnel but were trying to convert out of the wishbone as a program. Painful.

Putting Brubaker at end is a problem. Not enough speed for that position.

The opposite is true. At DT he's not heavy enough to deal with getting doubles all the time. At end he's one of our best athletes and best players

He looked pretty darn good at end in the bowl game.

Did not say last year. He cannot make a play this year. Too slow

We don’t have the depth at DL to run 100 plays on offense,especially with two senior starts out. Part of the slow down and running binge is to limit the number of plays our defense has to face. Or at least, that’s one potential explanation for our 1960’s Southwest Conference offensive strategy.

Seriously watching those two teams on Saturday trying to pass was like watching the 1991 OU-Colorado game where both teams had no passing personnel but were trying to convert out of the wishbone as a program. Painful.

Nothing wrong with the run dominant strategy. Other than the fact that we don’t have the patience offensively for running it.

Give me three yards of hard running every down in a no huddle type offense and I will have your defense crying “no mas , no mas” by the 5 minute mark of the 3rd qtr.

Nothing wrong with the run dominant strategy. Other than the fact that we don’t have the patience offensively for running it.

Give me three yards of hard running every down in a no huddle type offense and I will have your defense crying “no mas , no mas” by the 5 minute mark of the 3rd qtr.
That's what Tulsa's defense looked like Saturday and Navy made them like it.

As I sat there during the 4th quarter wondering aloud how in the world we only had 17 yards passing!! at that point, my 11 year old daughter looks at me and says, "I bet you wish you had Cody Green back!!" That's all that really needs to be said.

(She's been attending games with me since the 2012 season so she has the Cody Green experience burned into her memories.)

I think they are trying to work on the offense being more ball control to limit the stress and amount of time the D is on the field. This offense is not built on that. Not going and running as many plays as possible allows the defense to set up and adjust. Moving full speed ahead keeps the D off balance and I'm not sure our personnel is capable of moving that fast and executing at a high level right now to do that.

I will be honest....I don't expect us to win another game this season. I'm not saying we won't, I'm just not expecting us too unless drastic changes in on field personnel are made.

And I'm not usually the constantly negative one on here...but I recognize a lemon when I see one...and right now we're really sour as a team

I think we have a decent chance to beat Tulane on Saturday... otherwise, we'll have chances to beat uconn and temple. Everyone else will handle us pretty easily.

I agree our passing is not want we want but ,saturday 2 good passes were dropped, better rceivers would make our passer look better

I think we could beat Uconn with our hands tied behind our back.
UCONN's defense is pretty good and pretty much anyone can score on us right now...I do not have a lot of confidence that we can outscore teams right now

I agree our passing is not want we want but ,saturday 2 good passes were dropped, better rceivers would make our passer look better
We need to give those receivers chances then. Johnson is good and I think we threw his way once. Stewart is really good and again, I think we threw his way once (maybe twice). For some reason we keep throwing to Carter who has shown unreliable hands repeatedly since coming to TU.

We need to give those receivers chances then. Johnson is good and I think we threw his way once. Stewart is really good and again, I think we threw his way once (maybe twice). For some reason we keep throwing to Carter who has shown unreliable hands repeatedly since coming to TU.
Just think how good President would look out there catching balls from Skipper. Lol.

Reactions: TUGrad06
Season thought: I'm concerned that because 2 teams on the bottom 10 won, Tulsa may get the "honor."

Season thought: I'm giving a serious analysis of our chances to beat a bad Tulane team.

Tulane has the 110th ranked rushing Defense and the 125th ranked offense. Those stats have to be favorable for our team. If we lose to Tulane, UCONN may be our only other hope for another win before the final game - but they are moderate on rushing defense and scoring offense. Purely on statistics, Tulane is our best chance to try and salvage something.

I realize we have our final game against Temple and that they are terrible. But, sadly, if we lose to Tulane we probably lose to UCONN. We then go into the final game against Temple fighting for win #2. Temple is already at 2 wins and has a chance to win 3 more before getting to Tulsa (ECU, UCONN, Army) and could be playing for a bowl eligibility. 1 win teams with nothing to play for tend not to significantly improve in game 12.

Someone tell me I'm a pessimistic jerk. I feel like I'm pragmatic, but is it really that bad?

If you think better receivers help a QB that has lower than average arm strength, you are mistaken. The throws are never on time because they take too long to get there.

If you throw the ball where the receiver cannot even touch it, he won't catch it.

Just sayin'

If you think better receivers help a QB that has lower than average arm strength, you are mistaken. The throws are never on time because they take too long to get there.
Getting the :crap: knocked out of you on the sidelines would make anyone have alligator arms. Hobbs is better than average, but he also has been racked up waiting on the QB's ball . Even when caught the defender is smothering all receivers where they can't even make a move to gain any yardage. I had hoped Keevan would play his senior year, however it turns out he made the right decision.

Will Monty have a better record than Bill had after 3 seasons? I think it's going to be close.

Bill won 3 games with Senior QB Cody Green and Freshmen QB Dane Evans in his 3rd season as head coach.

Monty has a Redshirt Sophmore QB in his 3rd season as head coach.

Bill made a change from under performing Senior QB Cody Green to Freshmen QB Dane Evans.

Will Monty make a change, or is Chad the best QB he's recruited to Tulsa? He's alsp brought in Skipper and Boomer. Hefley remains from Bill's recruits.

Still hoping for 6 wins!

Last edited:
Based on tonight’s call in show, I don’t think there’s a chance Skipper plays against Tulane and very little chance he plays at all the rest of the season.

Based on tonight’s call in show, I don’t think there’s a chance Skipper plays against Tulane and very little chance he plays at all the rest of the season.
Losing confidence in Monty. I really want to like him. I know what his offense can do. But if he's going to be stubborn like that with the results we're getting I can't say I'm pleased. Monty's been my favorite coach that we've had for a long time, football or basketball so that's hard for me to say.

I've always liked Skipper better and figured he would start until I heard different this summer. But to me, and I know I'm in the minority now, President clearly has the talent to get the job done. If Monty is going to stay with him he needs to open things up and trust him to make plays. Being tentative and predictable with the passing game doesn't help.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT