ADVERTISEMENT

đź“ť Larry Lewis Game Recap: Another lackluster performance for TU

Chris Harmon

ITS Publisher
Staff
Aug 15, 2002
Tulsa, OK
tulsa.rivals.com
Eric Konkol was so disgusted in what he saw. He couldn't take it any more.

And for good reason. It would be hard for any team to play this poorly.

With TU down 29 points at 83-54 with 8:48 left in the game, it was timeout time. Tulsa had just given up another ridiculously easy layup with no defensive effort to a poor South Florida team.

Konkol quickly turned to his bench and motioned the rest of the team to come in. The only 5 available players who weren't in the game. A whole new group was coming in. No matter who.

Tulsa still ended up losing badly, but a 2-point improvement from that low mark in effort occurred, and Tulsa lost 96-69 in front of less than 1,000 fans of an announced crowd of 3,019 at the Reynolds Center Wednesday night.

An "announced" crowd of 3,019. Like the "announced" crowds of 17,000 at football games. And, we then had to read the "spin" in the Tulsa World that attendance was way up. I guess all the other fans were wearing their Halloween costume, disguised as empty seats. And, student attendance has improved "100%?" From what, 10 to 20?

Last edited:
An "announced" crowd of 3,019. Like the "announced" crowds of 17,000 at football games. And, we then had to read the "spin" in the Tulsa World that attendance was way up. I guess all the other fans were wearing their Halloween costume, disguised as empty seats. And, student attendance has improved "100%?" From what, 10 to 20?
Cool guy here.

You now have one point in the message board leaderboard. What is your solution to President Carson to make you feel better?

Thanks for your incredibly valuable input, Bill. 🙄

The problem with student attendance is that the pregame giveaways don’t provide any incentive to watch the game or even come in to the arena. This week, students loaded up on free Chipotle and left way before the game even started.

The problem with student attendance is that the pregame giveaways don’t provide any incentive to watch the game or even come in to the arena. This week, students loaded up on free Chipotle and left way before the game even started.
I’ve loved ALMOST everything Carson, Dickson, et al have done with the game day and in game experience for both football and basketball.

The one thing that has stuck out to me that wasn’t a good move: that party deck thing for the student section. In theory it sounds cool (many pro teams have “party decks” with food and beer), but in practice I don’t think it’s going to lend itself to anything meaningful.

We have shown that our students can and will fill the student section (tradition setup) and actually make a difference in the game through cheering, chants, yelling at players, etc… basically what a student section is supposed to do. This setup divides the student section into multiple parts, so there is no cohesiveness (one large body of students cheering). It also puts the most casual students up front in the “lounge” area with tables and such. That does not lend itself to engagement, but rather a place to stand and chat with a beer (which I love, but a student section isn’t the place for that if you want it to be meaningful or impactful during the game).

In my opinion, it’s cool to see a large block of students in a designated section get rowdy at the games. It makes a difference. Especially when there’s a decent amount who show up and cheer.

Now obviously we suck ass this year and not many students have shown up lately, but the point still stands.

Reactions: seniorgolfer
I wonder why they put free anything out before halftime.

You now have one point in the message board leaderboard. What is your solution to President Carson to make you feel better? It has nothing to do with the team....it's about TU always "spinning" :crap: to make them look better, when it's obvious they aren't.

Bhink49, I hope you realize that no one here cares what you say or think. Take your bitterness towards TU somewhere else, you grumpy old db$g

Reactions: bhink49
The increased attendance is real. Those are comparable statistics with last year with a nice increase. I’m betting on another increase next year with Hall, Reed and Williams.
It's too bad the bitter old clown can't admit that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT