Full Tulsa MBB schedule released for 2018-19

Chris Harmon

ITS Publisher
Staff
Aug 15, 2002
Tulsa, OK
tulsa.rivals.com
Media release...

PROVIDENCE, R.I. — The University of Tulsa's 2018-19 men's basketball schedule is now complete with the release of the 18-game American Athletic Conference slate on Wednesday.

Each of the league's 12 members will face seven of its 11 opponents twice, while playing the remaining four opponents once each — two at home and two on the road. Tulsa will host UConn and USF and travel for road matchups at SMU and UCF. The Golden Hurricane will face every other league member twice (Cincinnati, ECU, Houston, Memphis, Temple, Tulane and Wichita State), at home and on the road.

At least 23 of Tulsa's 31 regular-season games can be seen nationally on the ESPN family of networks, CBS Sports Network or FOX Sports 1. In addition, Tulsa's full schedule includes 13 games against teams that participated in the postseason a year ago, with seven of those contests coming at the Donald W. Reynolds Center.

"The American will be as strong as it's ever been this season," head coach Frank Haith said. "I think the depth of the league continues to improve and we will be prepared for a challenge every night. A competitive non-conference schedule will help prepare us for those challenges and, looking at the schedule as a whole now, it's one that can help us in the postseason.

"We have a great home schedule, both in the non-conference and conference portions of our schedule. We will see some teams that did not come here last year, like Cincinnati and Houston, and we look forward to having some big-time matchups in front of our fans."

TU will open its league slate on Jan. 2 when it travels to the Lone Star State for a matchup with Houston at the new Fertitta Center. Tulsa will then head home for matchups against USF (Jan. 5) and Cincinnati (Jan. 10). The Hurricane is a perfect 7-0 all-time against the Bulls, including a pair of wins last season, while its last two home games against the Bearcats have come down to the wire with an overtime win in 2016 and a two-point setback in 2017.

TU then will face two opponents that it will see only once during the campaign with a road contest at SMU on Jan. 12 before a Jan. 16 home date with UConn. The Hurricane took the only meeting with the Mustangs and claimed two wins against the Huskies a season ago.

Those contests will be followed by road games at UCF (Jan. 19) and Cincinnati (Jan. 24) and TU will close out the month with home games against Houston (Jan. 27) and Memphis (Jan. 30). TU has won five of its last six games against the Golden Knights, while also posting victories over Memphis in its last three trips to the Reynolds Center.

February opens with a Havoc in the Heartland game against Wichita State at Charles Koch Arena on Feb. 2. At 128 games, TU has faced WSU more than any other opponent in program history and the Shockers will make a return trip to the Reynolds Center on Feb. 20.

Tulsa also will face Temple and Tulane twice each during the month, with games in the Reynolds Center on Feb. 9 and Feb. 28, respectively. The Hurricane will travel to New Orleans on Feb. 14, while its road contest at Temple will take place on Feb. 23. TU has won 11 of the last 12 meetings with the Green Wave and seven of the nine all-time contests against the Owls.

TU will face ECU in Greenville on Feb. 17 before hosting the Pirates on March 3, in what will be Senior Day for Sterling Taplin, DaQuan Jeffries and walk-on Lindsay Deline Jr. The regular-season wraps up on March 9 with Tulsa on the road to face Memphis.

The American Athletic Conference Championship will take place at FedExForum in Memphis, Tenn., from March 14-17.

The University of Tulsa Golden Hurricane
2018-19 Men’s Basketball Schedule

NOVEMBER

2 Fri. NORTHEASTERN STATE+ Reynolds Center 7 p.m.
6 Tue. ALCORN STATE Reynolds Center 7 p.m.
10 Sat. SOUTH CAROLINA STATE Reynolds Center TBA
16 Fri. CAL BAPTIST^ Reynolds Center 12 p.m.
19 Mon. LITTLE ROCK^ Reynolds Center 7 p.m.
22 Thu. vs. Nevada ^ (FS1) Las Vegas, Nev. 3 p.m.
23 Fri. vs. Southern Illinois/UMass^ (FS1) Las Vegas, Nev. TBA
27 Tue. UT ARLINGTON Reynolds Center 7 p.m.

DECEMBER

1 Sat. at Utah Salt Lake City, Utah TBA
5 Wed. OKLAHOMA STATE (CBSSN) Reynolds Center 7 p.m.
8 Sat. KANSAS STATE (CBSSN) Reynolds Center 3:30 p.m.
13 Thu. NEW ORLEANS Reynolds Center 7 p.m.
16 Sun. vs. Dayton# (CBSSN) Uncasville, Conn. 2:30 p.m.
22 Sat. at Oral Roberts% Mabee Center 7 p.m.

JANUARY

2 Wed. at Houston* (ESPN3) Houston, Texas 7 p.m.
5 Sat. USF* (ESPNU) Reynolds Center 5 p.m.
10 Thu. CINCINNATI* (ESPN/ESPN2) Reynolds Center 6 p.m.
12 Sat. at SMU* (ESPN2/ESPNU) Dallas, Texas 5 p.m.
16 Wed. UCONN* (ESPNEWS) Reynolds Center 6 p.m.
19 Sat. at UCF* (ESPNU) Orlando, Fla. 11 a.m.
24 Thu. at Cincinnati* (ESPN/ESPN2) Cincinnati, Ohio 6 p.m.
27 Sun. HOUSTON* (ESPNEWS) Reynolds Center 1 p.m.
30 Wed. MEMPHIS* (ESPNEWS) Reynolds Center 7 p.m.

FEBRUARY

2 Sat. at Wichita State* (ESPN2/ESPNU) Wichita, Kan. 1 p.m.
9 Sat. TEMPLE* (ESPN2/ESPNU) Reynolds Center 11 a.m.
14 Thu. at Tulane* (ESPN2/ESPNU) New Orleans, La. 8 p.m.
17 Sun. at ECU* (ESPN3) Greenville, N.C. 1 p.m.
20 Wed. WICHITA STATE* (ESPN2/ESPNU) Reynolds Center 8 p.m.
23 Sat. at Temple* (ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU) Philadelphia, Pa. 11 a.m.
28 Thu. TULANE* (ESPN2/ESPNU) Reynolds Center 8 p.m.

MARCH

3 Sun. ECU* (ESPNU) Reynolds Center 3 p.m.
9 Sat. at Memphis* (ESPNU) Memphis, Tenn. 8:30 p.m.
14-17 Thu.-Sun. The American Championship Memphis, Tenn. TBA

All times Central and subject to change for television
+ Exhibition game
^ Continental Tire Las Vegas Holiday Invitational
# Basketball Hall of Fame Holiday Showcase presented by Citi
% Mayor’s Cup
* American Athletic Conference game

We should finish November no worse than 7-1, if it’s 8-0 then we should be in for a fun year. Our conference slate is front loaded this season so if we don’t come roaring out of the gate we may take some abuse on the conference board and from those that do “power ratings” but we should have some late season momentum headed into the tourney.

We should finish November no worse than 7-1, if it’s 8-0 then we should be in for a fun year. Our conference slate is front loaded this season so if we don’t come roaring out of the gate we may take some abuse on the conference board and from those that do “power ratings” but we should have some late season momentum headed into the tourney.
We're not beating that Nevada team in what's basically a road game.

Just to be honest. Nevada doesn't impress me much.

They skimmed by as a team with particular skill sets that began to fade when not facing a bad conference foe. Personally I think the K-state team we played in Wichita last year was better.

They have a lot of moving parts now. It's not just those six kids getting in a groove and playing it out. I would say that like the K-state game last year is a very winnable game.

A neutral game (even a close location) is not the same as defending home turf. We actually match up well as a team with them. I think we have a chance to steal one early while they are still adjusting and grab some attention.

That’s not the right mindset for TU basketball, brau.
I understand that... but it was a dumb game to schedule. It's a game that's currently out of our punching range and it's basically on their home turf. It's not good to schedule games that have minuscule odds of paying off for us in March.

Just to be honest. Nevada doesn't impress me much.

They skimmed by as a team with particular skill sets that began to fade when not facing a bad conference foe. Personally I think the K-state team we played in Wichita last year was better.

They have a lot of moving parts now. It's not just those six kids getting in a groove and playing it out. I would say that like the K-state game last year is a very winnable game.

A neutral game (even a close location) is not the same as defending home turf. We actually match up well as a team with them. I think we have a chance to steal one early while they are still adjusting and grab some attention.
Nevada impresses me WAY more than KState. KState seemed very flukish. That Nevada team added a several good pieces including a grad transfer and a 5 star center. Call me crazy, but I don't want to play that plus all the talent they returned from last season in Las Vegas. KState didn't add much and they got lucky with some of their NCAA tournament opponents.

I understand that... but it was a dumb game to schedule. It's a game that's currently out of our punching range and it's basically on their home turf. It's not good to schedule games that have minuscule odds of paying off for us in March.

Early projections give us a 15-20% chance to win that game. A 1-in-5 shot to grab a resume win like that is absolutely worth it.

Reactions: Gold* and Gmoney4WW
Nevada will be very good and may be preseason top 10. They return everyone from their NCAA team last year and their starting PG who was injured late in the season and didn’t play in the tourney is ready to go. Because three players that tried the draft ended up returning they had to cut two players loose including the grad transfer mentioned above. Also mentioned above they added a 5-Star forward to their roster.

Having said all that I do think we have a chance to win the game if we play up to our potential. I’m not confident enough however to give up Thanksgiving and potentially put up with abuse from the poor winners that Nevada fans are. I guess I’m in the middle between Aston and tu4ever2. This was scheduled as part of a tourney and I don’t think you can say “so, who else is going to be playing” before you sign up. I prefer to see this as an opportunity rather than a problem. Even if we don’t pull off the upset a loss to a quality team is much better than a win over whatever north-west-Central-Arkansas/Missouri team would have replaced them.

Reactions: TU4ever2
Early projections give us a 15-20% chance to win that game. A 1-in-5 shot to grab a resume win like that is absolutely worth it.
A 3 in 20 shot isn't. There would have been better, more winnable resume games out there.

Glad he wasn’t around in the mid-90’s.
We had better players and coaches in the mid 90's. Tell me I'm wrong.

As a coach at Tulsa, your #1 objective should be getting in the NCAA tournament. Scheduling strategically is a HUGE part of that. If you were to make a net present value of games this game wouldn't be high on a list for a school like us and the team we have. There were almost certainly other early season tournaments where we could have played top 50 RPI teams, not in their home state and we would have had a greater likelihood of winning and improving our resume.

I'm starting to think that Frank just likes going to Vegas during the season (since he's been once already)

A loss doesn't do anything for us. Schedule winnable games against tough but comparable teams. All the rest of our games are like that. Nevada isn't.

Last edited:
We had better players in the mid 90's. Tell me I'm wrong.

We had better players in the late 90’s. Shea and Pooh were really special, but I’m thinking you weren’t going to be a big fan of Grawer, Hernadi, Rollo, Poindexter, Maldanado, Williams, or Gillen.

Reactions: Chris Harmon
We had better players and coaches in the mid 90's. Tell me I'm wrong.

I do all the time, you don't listen though so I have to keep repeating myself.

This team is easily comparable to every team we've had but the elite 8 one and the one that lost to Wisconsin on the corner 3.

Not to mention playing a good team on a neutral court is always a fair shot. Or that the team we will play will be transitioning and adding new players figuring out things early in the season. Or that this particular team is one we will match up well with.

Tulsa can schedule some risky games in the ooc because our conference is going to give us a chance to make up any losses and it helps our sos to play these kind of games.

With the rpi going out the window who you played on your schedule is going to be all eye test. Playing a Nevada team that everyone will be watching will only help Tulsa. We're expected to lose so we're not risking much and an early neutral court win would do big things for the team and players.

When it comes to basketball with so many games and our program I'm all about it. Play anyone, any where. Very few programs are going to push us harder than Cincy, Wichita, Houston, Temple, or UConn and Memphis traditionally.

In football those losses can hurt a lot more from PR, win-loss, team and player developement.

I do all the time, you don't listen though so I have to keep repeating myself.

This team is easily comparable to every team we've had but the elite 8 one and the one that lost to Wisconsin on the corner 3.

Not to mention playing a good team on a neutral court is always a fair shot. Or that the team we will play will be transitioning and adding new players figuring out things early in the season. Or that this particular team is one we will match up well with.

Tulsa can schedule some risky games in the ooc because our conference is going to give us a chance to make up any losses and it helps our sos to play these kind of games.

With the rpi going out the window who you played on your schedule is going to be all eye test. Playing a Nevada team that everyone will be watching will only help Tulsa. We're expected to lose so we're not risking much and an early neutral court win would do big things for the team and players.

When it comes to basketball with so many games and our program I'm all about it. Play anyone, any where. Very few programs are going to push us harder than Cincy, Wichita, Houston, Temple, or UConn and Memphis traditionally.

In football those losses can hurt a lot more from PR, win-loss, team and player developement.
They. Have. Not. Played. A. Game. Yet.

They didn't sniff the tournament last season, and you're already calling them better than Sweet 16 teams. Ridiculous.

Your scheduling philosophy is probably the same as Frank's... and it's why we've only made one tourney under him and it was by the absolute skin of our teeth.

They didn't sniff the tournament last season, and you're already calling them better than Sweet 16 teams. Ridiculous.

Inventing an issue. Save it for cable news, Hannity/ Don Lemon/ Stephen A.

Inventing an issue. Save it for cable news, Hannity/ Don Lemon/ Stephen A.
How? He said this years team is better than every one but the Elite 8 team and the Wisconsin team. That means: They're apparently better than the 93 and 94 teams that went to the Sweet 16. They're better than the team that won the NIT. They're better than the team that lost to Kentucky. They're better than Self's first tournament team.

The players that were here didn't even make the NIT. The players that we added are good, but we also lost quite a bit of production. Anointing them one of the top 10 teams in Tulsa history before they've played a game is the stupidest thing I've ever read in my life.

Your scheduling philosophy is probably the same as Frank's... and it's why we've only made one tourney under him and it was by the absolute skin of our teeth.

"My" scheduling philosophy is what the AAC conference is recommending to improve seeds and increase bids.

But let's go with your idea ...

P.S. Nevada hasn't played anyone yet and their roster is half new.

How? He said this years team is better than every one but the Elite 8 team and the Wisconsin team. That means: They're apparently better than the 93 and 94 teams that went to the Sweet 16. They're better than the team that won the NIT. They're better than the team that lost to Kentucky. They're better than Self's first tournament team.

The players that were here didn't even make the NIT. The players that we added are good, but we also lost quite a bit of production. Anointing them one of the top 10 teams in Tulsa history before they've played a game is the stupidest thing I've ever read in my life.

There’s no point in having an argument for the sake of argument. Move on brau brau.

Reactions: chito_and_leon
"My" scheduling philosophy is what the AAC conference is recommending to improve seeds and increase bids.

But let's go with your idea ...

P.S. Nevada hasn't played anyone yet and their roster is half new.
Half new... filled with one of the top non-P5 recruiting classes in the country, adding that to the fact that they kept all their most important contributors.

Also, if the conference is promoting our version of schedule, they should probably tell the rest of the conference. That Nevada game is the highest ranked team any of the conference will play besides Memphis who could end up playing Nova in Orlando (not in Pennsylvania mind you) and they also have a good Tennessee team at home. Everyone else plays lesser teams, and none of the conference is stupid enough to play basically an away game in the other team's home state as a neutral site.

Last edited:
“This team is easily comparable to every team we've had but the elite 8 one and the one that lost to Wisconsin on the corner 3.”

He didn’t say better, he said comparable. I hate it when people put words in other people’s mouths so they can argue. I have to agree, when you look at Taplin, Scott, Jeffries, Igbanu, Joiner, etc. I think they are very comparable. Will they have comparable results? We won’t know until March but I’m not about to write them off before the games are played. If I had to choose one or the other I would schedule Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Kansas, etc. before scheduling Northwestern State, Lamar, Little Rock, or Cal Baptist. Upsets happen and if you win one or two against the former it can make your season, lose one or two against the latter and it’s a disaster (unless you’re the aforementioned Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, UNC, etc.).

Reactions: cmullinsTU
“This team is easily comparable to every team we've had but the elite 8 one and the one that lost to Wisconsin on the corner 3.”

He didn’t say better, he said comparable. I hate it when people put words in other people’s mouths so they can argue. I have to agree, when you look at Taplin, Scott, Jeffries, Igbanu, Joiner, etc. I think they are very comparable. Will they have comparable results? We won’t know until March but I’m not about to write them off before the games are played. If I had to choose one or the other I would schedule Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Kansas, etc. before scheduling Northwestern State, Lamar, Little Rock, or Cal Baptist. Upsets happen and if you win one or two against the former it can make your season, lose one or two against the latter and it’s a disaster (unless you’re the aforementioned Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, UNC, etc.).
I don't care if he said comparable, better, or even on the same existential plane as. You don't compare teams to our top 10 teams of all time when they haven't done jack and their coach hasn't shown that he can achieve anything in the tournament (or even get into the tournament reliably). All I can say about this team is Haith thinks it's his best while he's been here. What would that tell me? That in Haith's mind, he thinks there at least good enough to MAKE the round of 64.... because that's something none of his teams have done. Let's leave the comparisons to bygone decades for March.

Half new... filled with one of the top non-P5 recruiting classes in the country, adding that to the fact that they kept all their most important contributors.

Also, if the conference is promoting our version of schedule, they should probably tell the rest of the conference. That Nevada game is the highest ranked team any of the conference will play besides Memphis who could end up playing Nova in Orlando (not in Pennsylvania mind you) and they also have a good Tennessee team at home. Everyone else plays lesser teams, and none of the conference is stupid enough to play basically an away game in the other team's home state as a neutral site.

UConn is playing Syracuse in the garden, then Iowa or Oregon, at Nova, Florida St in NJ, Arizona.

Temple plays a ridiculous schedule every year. Villanova, Georgia, Davidson, Missouri, and either Cal or St John's after they play VCU in a neutral.

Cincy has Ohio St at home, Xavier, at Miss St, and hasn't released it's full schedule yet.

Wichita State is playing Providence in Annapolis, Baylor, at Oklahoma, and at VCU.

At least you know about Memphis.

UCF has Wake Forrest or St Joe's in Myrtle, and has a shot at WV. They play Alabama and Missouri as well.

SMU has Georgetown, Penn St, TCU

Houston has LSU, St. Louis, Oklahoma St, and Oregon.

USF, Tulane, and ECU have all been told to step up scheduling. Tulane is reportedly looking at options for next year. USF coach has talked about it. ECU coach Dooley came out and told his fans to be ready. The conference demands for a schedule will make building a winning program harder, but that he understood the need for it.

So would you rather have Doug’s scheduling philosophy? He got a lot of wins, but none were very meaningful.

UConn is playing Syracuse in the garden, then Iowa or Oregon, at Nova, Florida St in NJ, Arizona.

Temple plays a ridiculous schedule every year. Villanova, Georgia, Davidson, Missouri, and either Cal or St John's after they play VCU in a neutral.

Cincy has Ohio St at home, Xavier, at Miss St, and hasn't released it's full schedule yet.

Wichita State is playing Providence in Annapolis, Baylor, at Oklahoma, and at VCU.

At least you know about Memphis.

UCF has Wake Forrest or St Joe's in Myrtle, and has a shot at WV. They play Alabama and Missouri as well.

SMU has Georgetown, Penn St, TCU

Houston has LSU, St. Louis, Oklahoma St, and Oregon.

USF, Tulane, and ECU have all been told to step up scheduling. Tulane is reportedly looking at options for next year. USF coach has talked about it. ECU coach Dooley came out and told his fans to be ready. The conference demands for a schedule will make building a winning program harder, but that he understood the need for it.
I'm not arguing to play cupcakes. Just not Top 10 teams in their home state (unless we get credit for it being a home game for them). Apart from Nova, nobody plays a higher ranked team than us besides Memphis and Tennesse. Nevada is top 10. Every other team you listed is closer to 15+ and none are in their home state but calling it a neutral site.

I'm not arguing to play cupcakes. Just not Top 10 teams in their home state (unless we get credit for it being a home game for them). Apart from Nova, nobody plays a higher ranked team than us besides Memphis and Tennesse. Nevada is top 10. Every other team you listed is closer to 15+ and none are in their home state but calling it a neutral site.

Syracuse in the MSG?

But again why do I bother. No rankings yet, but Tulsa already lost to Top 10 Nevada in Vegas. Let me go write this down. I assume you told Haith? I bet he was pist the season is 6 weeks away and we're already 0-1.

Syracuse in the MSG?

But again why do I bother. No rankings yet, but Tulsa already lost to Top 10 Nevada in Vegas. Let me go write this down. I assume you told Haith? I bet he was pist the season is 6 weeks away and we're already 0-1.
Well he scheduled it. He should be pissed. If we get blown to kingdom come I'm going to say I told you so. It doesn't look good to go up against a top 10 team and get run out of the building. Ask Duggie about Duke and how much it helped our reputation in the "season we've been waiting for"

Lol.

You'll be here telling anyone who will listen about something bad we did even if we do win.

I have no doubt you will show up here if we suffer a loss. I doubt that nevada is so much better than our conference opponents that we'll get obliterated I need cupcakes Woji did. Although I will point out this. Self said that getting our asses handed to us by a Kentucky team showed his players what it takes to win at the highest levels. We lost by 31 and up 20 something points the eventual national champions we're still diving to save balls and scrapping for rebounds.

We didn't make the tourney that year. The next was elite 8.

Some coaches know what they're doing, some don't. I've met Nolan, Tubby, Self, and Woj. One of them was not like the others. All four were better than mj's roomie.

A 3 in 20 shot isn't. There would have been better, more winnable resume games out there.

You're missing a couple points here. First is the difficulty in scheduling games. It takes two to tango and Nevada was the team that agreed to play us. We came close to agreements with a couple other high profile teams, but they fell through for various reasons.

Secondly, there's overlapping probabilities involved here. If you play the 50th best team in the country on a neutral floor, you'll have a higher win probability, but there's also a much smaller chance they finish the season as a Q1 team. In contrast, there's a >90% chance that Nevada finishes as a Q1 game.

Are there theoretically better games than playing Nevada in Vegas? Sure, I guess so, but you also have to be realistic. As I said, I'm way more bothered by the eleven Q4 games that we've scheduled and the possibility of a Lamar repeat.

You're missing a couple points here. First is the difficulty in scheduling games. It takes two to tango and Nevada was the team that agreed to play us. We came close to agreements with a couple other high profile teams, but they fell through for various reasons.

Secondly, there's overlapping probabilities involved here. If you play the 50th best team in the country on a neutral floor, you'll have a higher win probability, but there's also a much smaller chance they finish the season as a Q1 team. In contrast, there's a >90% chance that Nevada finishes as a Q1 game.

Are there theoretically better games than playing Nevada in Vegas? Sure, I guess so, but you also have to be realistic. As I said, I'm way more bothered by the eleven Q4 games that we've scheduled and the possibility of a Lamar repeat.
So take a team where we have a 90 % chance they will be Q1 and a 15% chance we have of winning.

Compared to a team with a maybe 50% chance of finishing Q1 on a neutral floor (a large pool of ~ 50 teams) and we have a 50% chance off losing (or winning)

.9*.15 = .135
.50 * .50 = .25

Which has more value to us? It begs the question, that you shouldn't even care how much of a sure thing they are to be a good win. If they were 100% locked into being a #1 team and we still only had a .15 chance of beating them we would still come out ahead playing a team (or a couple of teams) rated closer to 50 overall on a neutral floor who we had a much bigger chance of beating. (I.E. we would have higher chances of getting a Q1 win)

Aston is still in love with those great teams of Woodard and Harrison that won so many postseason games. He still thinks Doug was our greatest coach.

Can I haz bonus for reference 2 all my 20 win seasons.??? I one d CBI1111!

Douglas
r7dhff5baimvr0u5evbi

We had better players in the late 90’s. Shea and Pooh were really special, but I’m thinking you weren’t going to be a big fan of Grawer, Hernadi, Rollo, Poindexter, Maldanado, Williams, or Gillen.

I forgot about Grawer...he was supposed to be our starting point guard. Gotta give Tubby kudos for getting so much out of Barnett recruits Gary Collier and Lou Dawkins.

Reactions: TU4ever2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT