ADVERTISEMENT

For the great football minds...

TU Sepp

I.T.S. Athletic Director
Feb 8, 2004
I just saw a play that I am sure is going to cause some discussion. Louisville v. Virginia, VA player has the ball, he hurdles the UL player and as he is falling he fumbles the ball. As the VA player falls to the ground he goes out of bounds with his feet and legs, however his upper body is still inbounds. He then becomes the first player to recover his own fumble. Since he was legally out of bounds is he eligible to recover his own fumble while still partially out of bounds?

Any clarification concerning this rule would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The ball is out of bounds when any part of an offensive player with possession of the ball touches the sideline or endline. The fact that he was out of bounds and came back in bounds is irrelevant. Offense retains possession at the spot of the recovered fumble.

Last edited:
The ball is out of bounds when any part of an offensive player with possession of the ball touches the sideline or endline. The fact that he was out of bounds and came back in bounds is irrelevant. Offense retains possession at the spot of the recovered fumble.
It's out of bounds at the point any player who is out of bounds touches the ball. The ball is dead at the point where it goes OB. However, there are some weird rules on 4th down plays. Typically, on 4th down, only the fumbling player may recover the football if it has gone forward. If another player on the fumblers team recovers, the ball is spotted back at the point of the fumble. This happened in an NFL game today where the RB fumbled on a 2pt conversion attempt and was recovered by an OL in the end zone. Ball is spotted at point of fumble and and try was no good

The rule you are referring to about not being able to touch the ball refers to a forward pass. If you go out of bounds you cannot legally be the first one to touch the football. This is true for either the offensive or defensive player. It is simply an incomplete pass. It is also true in punts...if one of the kick coverage team goes OB in their own they cannot be the first player to touch the football to down it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT