ADVERTISEMENT

Florida?

drboobay

I.T.S. University President
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2003
I know this might trigger Huffy but...

We are in Fort Lauderdale right now for a couple of days before a cruise, right on the beach. It is miserable hot and muggy! Every time I have been here (always summer or spring) it is unconfortably muggy and usually way too warm. I don't even want to go outside.

Perhaps if I visited in December I would have a different opinion. But I feel like, if I had to live here, I would be compelled to go somewhere else at least half the year. I don't like it at all. California is so much better for beach life. Or even north Atlantic like Delaware or Maryland - those trips were so much more comfortable and enjoyable.

I know this might trigger Huffy but...

We are in Fort Lauderdale right now for a couple of days before a cruise, right on the beach. It is miserable hot and muggy! Every time I have been here (always summer or spring) it is unconfortably muggy and usually way too warm. I don't even want to go outside.

Perhaps if I visited in December I would have a different opinion. But I feel like, if I had to live here, I would be compelled to go somewhere else at least half the year. I don't like it at all. California is so much better for beach life. Or even north Atlantic like Delaware or Maryland - those trips were so much more comfortable and enjoyable.
We were there in August one year. Good lord almighty, though it was like the place where the lord won't visit. We also were there in January a few years ago and it was too cold to hang on the beach. We go farther south into the Caribbean for the winter trip instead. Other than the theme parks and rocket launch tourism, Florida to me is the 2nd or 3rd best place for anything interesting. Fortunately my TU degree gives me the financial flexibility to just go to the best place and not have to settle. Have not seen any reason to go back to Florida. Maybe I'll feel different when I'm 80.

I have decided to be more positive (at my wife's urging).

The ocean looks lovely.

That's not worth nothing. But you can get that in a lot of places. I'm married and so can't like your post.

Where are you going on the cruise?
Bahamas and Disney island.

Disney cruises are good. We enjoyed Alaska and Mediterranean.

We all decided to try the obligatory Caribbean once. But I am skeptical. We will see soon enough.

Would your wife really dislike you endorsing that post? I am married and wouldn't be concerned about my statement:) Even with my RN attached.

Bahamas and Disney island.

Disney cruises are good. We enjoyed Alaska and Mediterranean.

We all decided to try the obligatory Caribbean once. But I am skeptical. We will see soon enough.

Would your wife really dislike you endorsing that post? I am married and wouldn't be concerned about my statement:) Even with my RN attached.
Are you going to swim with the pigs?? Caribbean is far, far more beautiful than Florida, no comparison, at least on ocean (sea I guess) and beaches. Tho I've never been there in the summer.

I wouldn't get in trouble (I'm not Mike Pence) but I would definitely get an eye roll!

Reactions: drboobay
April. October. Naples not Lauderdale. It’s been unseasonably warm, about ten degrees above normal. The humidity was getting to me as well in Orlando this week. Glad you visited. Come back once all the California and crypto people leave. Take some Everglades Seasoning home with you. Excellent on wings. About $5 at any Publix.

April. October. Naples not Lauderdale. It’s been unseasonably warm, about ten degrees above normal. The humidity was getting to me as well in Orlando this week. Glad you visited. Come back once all the California and crypto people leave. Take some Everglades Seasoning home with you. Excellent on wings. About $5 at any Publix.

Reactions: HuffyCane
When I vacation I prefer cool and low humidity. In the US the best vacations I have had are around San Diego. Number one was Coronado. Number two was La Jolla.

We have tried vacationing in four areas of FL now. Near Tampa, near Destin, near Miami, and Disney World. I greatly disliked the humidity in each place. The beaches were nicest around Destin.

I would not enjoy retiring to or living in Florida if only due to the constant humidity. Give me a dry 75 degree day every time please! Or brisk 50.

When I vacation I prefer cool and low humidity. In the US the best vacations I have had are around San Diego. Number one was Coronado. Number two was La Jolla.

We have tried vacationing in four areas of FL now. Near Tampa, near Destin, near Miami, and Disney World. I greatly disliked the humidity in each place. The beaches were nicest around Destin.

I would not enjoy retiring to or living in Florida if only due to the constant humidity. Give me a dry 75 degree day every time please! Or brisk 50.
You are visiting the wrong places at the wrong times. The places you listed would have matched my answers if I was asked where not to visit in Florida, though April, near but not in, Destin can be lovely. Rosemary is quite nice. The year around humidity you complain of in Orlando is switched on/off between October 1 and May 1 in places like St George Island, Key Largo. Longboat Key, and Amelia Island. Unfortunately that rarely matches most American’s vacation schedules or expectations. Which suits me fine. I’m a part timer in Florida now, so I prefer it less crowded when I’m beachside.

You are visiting the wrong places at the wrong times. The places you listed would have matched my answers if I was asked where not to visit in Florida, though April, near but not in, Destin can be lovely. Rosemary is quite nice. The year around humidity you complain of in Orlando is switched on/off between October 1 and May 1 in places like St George Island, Key Largo. Longboat Key, and Amelia Island. Unfortunately that rarely matches most American’s vacation schedules or expectations. Which suits me fine. I’m a part timer in Florida now, so I prefer it less crowded when I’m beachside.
Good to know. Something to consider in a few years.

Good to know. Something to consider in a few years.
It’s also worth noting that most Floridians retire to the mountains and leave the state for as long as possible in August. Not unlike wealthy Italians.

It’s also worth noting that most Floridians retire to the mountains and leave the state for as long as possible in August. Not unlike wealthy Italians.
No good immigrants taking all our good mountain front camp sites with their Goliath RV’s that move through the mountains at a snails pace and their round the clock generators….. Build a Wall in Wichita! (I’m being told we can make Florida pay for it)

Last edited:
That would be the most exciting thing to happen in Wichita in a long time
Would probably need to run the entire length of I-35 to keeps those Swamp people out of our beautiful mountains. Unfortunately that means Tulsa is out too. At least the Western US would get rid of associations with Norman though…

If we make the wall go through the East loop of Dallas then we get to keep the Dallas Cowboys.

Last day of probably the worst vacation ever. Everybody grouchy. One teenager freaking out over relationship issues back home.

Everybody waiting it out at the Aventura Mall until the only nonstop flight to Tulsa at 9 pm because they would not allow late checkout at the hotel. In the end, the weather was the least of our problems.

Oh for my own bed near the Center of the Universe!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT