ADVERTISEMENT

Flat Panel TVs

HurricanePops

I.T.S. Offensive Coordinator
Apr 7, 2004
I'm in the market for a flat panel LED tv...42" or 46"/47". Not really interested in 3D or "bells and whistles"...just a very good picture, clear fast motion, etc., to watch mostly sports and movies as well as regular programing. Would be interested in your input, recommendations, etc., from your experience. Hope to keep it under $1,500 and would like to even stay under a thousand. Any input is appreciated, including names of brands.
This post was edited on 10/17 8:25 PM by HurricanePops

Former Best Buy salesman reporting for duty.

This looks like a pretty easy sale. You already know what you want, LED is a solid choice. At that size and with what you are looking to do, I would highly recommend a Samsung LED screen. LG and Sony are both really excellent brands when it comes to LED screens, but IMHO Samsung is top of the pile. My main TV is a 46 inch Samsung LED screen that I purchased after 9 months of working at Best Buy and asking all our home theater associates what they would purchase. The picture quality is really top notch, especially when I'm watching a Blu-Ray. I have absolutely no regrets with the brand.

Since you aren't looking for any bells and whistles like internet connectivity, I would look at the 6000 series. It has full 1080p resolution and a 120hz refresh rate. 120hz isn't the top of the pile, but it's pretty f*cking good. The motion blur is almost nonexistent when I watch sports and action movies. 240hz is the only step up from 120hz in LED screens and you need to get a 3d capable top of the line tv to get that. 120hz is definitely more than sufficient, and the price is right in your wheelhouse.

I have provided the link to the 46" 6000 series on the Best Buy website. Although I don't work there anymore, and would probably kill myself if I ever had to again, I would recommend you head there for the purchase. Their protection plans cover basically anything that could happen to your tv short of you putting your fist through it, and the interest free financing plans available through the Best Buy card are amazing. Without the Best Buy card there is no way in hell I would be able to afford the TV I have.

tl,dr: click the link for your tv

My recommendation

^ ^ ^ Listen to the expert.

Chiming in. I bought about the same thing in more like the 42", little cheaper and it was going in a corner. Samsung, sounds the same other than the size. Had mine a year. Bought at Best Buy. Great picture. I don't usually buy service plans, but these aren't something Joe comes out a fixes. If it breaks you probably get a new one.

If you have to buy in a store, Best Buy is the way to go. If you don't want the protection plan, you'll be shocked by the prices at amazon.com and free shipping in three days. I wouldn't buy anything but a Samsung.

I bought a 50 inch Samsung DLP TV almost eight years ago. Only had one problem, right before my 5 year extended warranty expired the Color Wheel had to be replaced. Cost me nothing to replace.

Been very pleased with Samsung. Still a great TV at almost 8 years.

Anybody have experience with the SquareTrade warranty plans? I got one for the iPad it was about half the price of Apple and covers the same, Best Buy was way more and covered less. Of course nit for a tv.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by chito_and_leon:
Anybody have experience with the SquareTrade warranty plans? I got one for the iPad it was about half the price of Apple and covers the same, Best Buy was way more and covered less. Of course nit for a tv.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I do not have any experience with SquareTrade. In all honesty, a TV is one of the few things I would bother to purchase a Best Buy protection plan on, but IMO it is a must have if you are going to spend that much on a TV.

2Poor's list of things you should buy protection plans on:
1. TVs
2. computers
3. headphones

and that's really about it.

I have to disagree about computers. Both at home and where I worked and using Dell and HP computers, I have only replaced a computer for a better one. (Although, I shun laptops, my wife has one. I'm guessing they are worse.) At work I've used computers in harsh environments. I'd save the service contract money for the next computer.

Originally posted by TUMe:
I have to disagree about computers. Both at home and where I worked and using Dell and HP computers, I have only replaced a computer for a better one. (Although, I shun laptops, my wife has one. I'm guessing they are worse.) At work I've used computers in harsh environments. I'd save the service contract money for the next computer.

For a desktop that's fair, I mainly meant laptops. Cracked screen and accidental damage protection is quite nice. I plan on throwing my wife's laptop down the stairs the month before her protection plan expires.

Originally posted by 2PoorTUFans:

For a desktop that's fair, I mainly meant laptops. Cracked screen and accidental damage protection is quite nice. I plan on throwing my wife's laptop down the stairs the month before her protection plan expires.

Great point. Lap tops just have a rougher life.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'll be focusing on Samsung and Sony. Sony has a 46" model on sale right now ($1800 now $1400) with 240hz which also happens to be 3D ready...also headphone jack which I like. Probably never use 3D but who knows? Any comments on Vizio? I have several friends who have those and am assuming most bought on a price basis but I don't know about reliability or quality of picture.

Originally posted by HurricanePops:
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'll be focusing on Samsung and Sony. Sony has a 46" model on sale right now ($1800 now $1400) with 240hz which also happens to be 3D ready...also headphone jack which I like. Probably never use 3D but who knows? Any comments on Vizio? I have several friends who have those and am assuming most bought on a price basis but I don't know about reliability or quality of picture.

I would only buy a Vizio if Samsung, Sony, and LG went out of business.

Thanks 2Poor. I do need to add LG. By the way, I live in Lawton now but was in Tulsa a couple of days last week and dropped by Best Buy near Woodland Hills and was impressed with the salesman I worked with. (I noticed they didn't carry Vizio!!!). We talked about the protection plan. If I buy from Best Buy (closest to me are Norman or Wichita Falls) will they still come to my home if service/repair is needed under the plan?

You definitely get what you pay for, brand wise, with a television. My inlaws insist on only buying the brands of TV's that sound like side dishes from Sushi Train, and they last about 20-24 months.

Thanks 2Poor. I do need to add LG. By the way, I live in Lawton now but was in Tulsa a couple of days last week and dropped by Best Buy near Woodland Hills and was impressed with the salesman I worked with. (I noticed they didn't carry Vizio!!!). We talked about the protection plan. If I buy from Best Buy (closest to me are Norman or Wichita Falls) will they still come to my home if service/repair is needed under the plan?

For remote areas that do not have an available Geek Squad technician, Best Buy third parties out the work. All the service is still covered by your protection plan, the service just won't be done by someone wearing a Geek Squad uniform. The company does it's best to make sure that the TV repair shops it sub-contracts to are really good at what they do. I have had to deal with that a few times, from customers living in the mountains, and they always seemed pretty happy about the technician they got.

2Poor...I'm baaaack! (Also anyone else who has an opinion).

From your experience is there a signicant and noticeable increase in viewing quality when going higher than 120hz and/or a higher contrast ratio such as going from 100,000;1 to 1 million;1 or higher? I would assume there must be, but is it really that noticeable to the typical tv or movie viewer particularly fast action stuff?

I'm going to take a wild guess and say not on broadcast TV.

2Poor...I'm baaaack! (Also anyone else who has an opinion).

From your experience is there a signicant and noticeable increase in viewing quality when going higher than 120hz and/or a higher contrast ratio such as going from 100,000;1 to 1 million;1 or higher? I would assume there must be, but is it really that noticeable to the typical tv or movie viewer particularly fast action stuff?

No. 60hz to 120hz is crazy noticeable. 120hz to 240hz is not very noticeable at all. There is a difference, but you have to really be paying attention and/or have a 120hz sitting next to a 240hz displaying the exact same fast moving image to even notice the difference. The longest tenured TV salesman at the store I worked at said 240hz was kind of a joke, as it's just a graphical program the companies installed on the TVs so they could one up the companies pimping 120hz. I have no idea if this part is true at all, but he said a) no broadcast television signal can even take advantage of 240hz, and b) the human eye can't even process the changes in picture that quickly.

Contrast ratio, IMO, is barely worth paying attention to anymore. These days, even bad TVs have such a good contrast ratio that the companies don't even feel it's worth the dick swinging contest to mention them. You will notice they aren't prominently displayed on any box or advertisement. Resolution and refresh rate are what everyone is bragging about these days.

Cracked screen and accidental damage protection is quite nice. I plan on throwing my wife's laptop down the stairs the month before her protection plan expires.

Just ensure that you aren't being watched on the internet, by easily researched words, when you make that claim. Insure yourself, great. Take advantage it in this fashion, and it would be accusedly termed, "Insurance Fraud", when standing in front of the judge presiding.

Be safe, do the right thing always. Throw it down the stairs, then just buy a new one with your own earnest money. Also, vacuum up the mess you make... you know how wife's hate that.
wink.gif

Originally posted by AztecIndian:

Cracked screen and accidental damage protection is quite nice. I plan on throwing my wife's laptop down the stairs the month before her protection plan expires.

Just ensure that you aren't being watched on the internet, by easily researched words, when you make that claim. Insure yourself, great. Take advantage it in this fashion, and it would be accusedly termed, "Insurance Fraud", when standing in front of the judge presiding.

Be safe, do the right thing always. Throw it down the stairs, then just buy a new one with your own earnest money. Also, vacuum up the mess you make... you know how wife's hate that.
wink.gif

valttaa menossa vankilaan

wink.gif

Play all you wish too, Mister Rogers.

wink.gif

Play all you wish too, Mister Rogers.

I guess the Cat once again catches the tongue, after all. Imagine that...

Still waiting patiently for your reply...
3dgrin.gif

This post was edited on 10/18 7:40 PM by AztecIndian

Originally posted by Novocaine:
I've had great luck with Panasonic. All my tv's were bought from amazon.com.

I prefer Sony, as they just hold truer value in the long-term.

3dgrin.gif

I'm sorry I kept you waiting, I watched the Republican debate. It wasn't a week.

First, you said "play all you wish too (sic), Mister Rogers." That was an declarative statment so there was no question there. But since you seem to think you need a response, my response is. "Thanks, I will."
This post was edited on 10/18 10:56 PM by TUMe

3dgrin.gif

I'm sorry I kept you waiting, I watched the Republican debate. It wasn't a week.

First, you said "play all you wish too (sic), Mister Rogers." That was an declarative statment so there was no question there. But since you seem to think you need a response, my response is. "Thanks, I will."
This post was edited on 10/18 10:56 PM by TUMe

Same ole semantics, different day. You've been dealt-wit, just admit it.
This post was edited on 10/19 6:53 PM by AztecIndian

I have a 46" Sony LED which has a tremendous picture and handles motion very well (240). The old Pioneer Elites are still the finest TVs ever made IMO.

I have a 50-inch Samsung LCD and it works really well. Great picture, all that jazz.

I also have a 32 inch Dynex and I love it. Never really thought of buying an off brand but pulled the trigger when a BestBuy associate sold me on it during a recent trip there. It has good picture quality, sound quality, etc. No complaints.

Originally posted by BigRedStevo:
I have a 50-inch Samsung LCD and it works really well. Great picture, all that jazz.

I also have a 32 inch Dynex and I love it. Never really thought of buying an off brand but pulled the trigger when a BestBuy associate sold me on it during a recent trip there. It has good picture quality, sound quality, etc. No complaints.

Dynex is a really great choice for like a secondary TV, I spent a lot of time trying to convince people the benefits of Dynex. Wouldn't want it as my main though.

poke...ironically the two I am considering most are a 46" Sony (24) model#KDL46HX729...and a Samsung 46" model#UN46D6000. Dose the Sony model sound familiar to you?
This post was edited on 10/19 10:03 PM by HurricanePops

lol. It's too late for thread modification (above).

Still laughing. REALLY?!

It is not THAT easy.

poke...ironically the two I am considering most are a 46" Sony (24) model#KDL46HX729...and a Samsung 46" model#UN46D6000. Dose the Sony model sound familiar to you?
This post was edited on 10/19 10:03 PM by HurricanePops

I'll check tomorrow for a model #. I'm running it with 3 B&W 803 Diamonds across the front paired with 3 Mac 402s, Mac processor, and Sony DVD player. If I could change one thing I would have gone at least 50" as my game room is big.

Can't find a model #. Its the 46" Sony Bravio 240mhz with the fast motion filter...which Im convinced is a gimmick after many hours of viewing. The picture is amazing tho. I bypass my processor for video so the Sony does all the video processing internally while the Mac takes care of the audio when in use.

Originally posted by lawpoke87:
Can't find a model #. Its the 46" Sony Bravio 240mhz with the fast motion filter...which Im convinced is a gimmick after many hours of viewing. The picture is amazing tho. I bypass my processor for video so the Sony does all the video processing internally while the Mac takes care of the audio when in use.
Sounds exactly like the Sony model I mentioned...240 and all, and 3D capable.

Thanks again, Poke, and 2Poor, and all others who have provided input. Makes the decision much easier now. As usual...the board comes through!!

Now...back to football!!

At the time I bought my 46" Samsung TV, I figured it would have to last as long as its predecessor which was a Sony 36" picture tube monstrosity. I bought the 120hz (highest rate available at the time of purchase) and got one that was internet capable so it could connect to my wireless home network. This has worked well for Netflix on demand (or Hulu, if you prefer).

We have been completely satisfied with the Samsung's picture quality. When we got our Samsung, Best Buy had a deal that we got a free Dynex 20" TV along with the purchase. Not bad.

So, Pops, which one did you end up getting?
Decision still pending...have narrowed things down based on the input on the board...I plan to get off dead center pretty quick now...was hoping some big time sales would come about as the holidays approach!!!! Will report back!!

Again, thanks for all the input.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT